What's new

The Scandal Sheet: Straights and other stuff

I was wondering and this might just be a casual observer's thing. I don't see many threads where one guy who uses a straight razor denigrates other people for having more than one. I don't see someone saying.... All you need is one _____ razor, one brush, one soap, etc... Do those threads and/or comments exist and I'm just missing them?
They may exist, but I don't see it much on the straight side. Most of us seem to get joy from collecting and using them. Also we are the absolute worst sorts of enablers on this entire site. And even historically, while many guys probably only owned one, there were plenty of sets sold: pairs, four-day sets, and seven-day sets were all common for the more well-to-do. The benefit, of course, is that you could stretch out the required maintenance across multiple razors.

Another thing to think about. A straight razor, even today, is essentially hand-made. Each one is unique in that sense, even the same model.

If people ask, I usually do recommend having at least two. For the obvious reason that if you bang one on the sink, or the edge is just too off, that you have a backup to shave with in the meantime.

I did have just one, my grandfather's, for several years. Although I was wearing a beard at the time so only used it to clean up the cheek lines and to shave my neck. Once I started shaving my whole face I started getting more interested in honing, etc. Found my way here. Although, I will lay the blame partly on Mrs. Scandalous, as she purchased my *second* straight razor, along with a shaving mug and a brush, at an antique shop, unbidden. All the rest are on me though (she has encouraged and enabled a few of those purchases, though. Yes, she's a keeper.)

I gave my grandfather's razor to my nephew along with another, the Shumate, actually, when he wanted to see if he could shave his head with them. After about a year he gave the Shumate back to me, as he prefers the other. So I guess he might be the exception that proves the rule.

I really like the simplicity of using an open blade.... I know myself.... that's all. I'd have way too many SRs and all the variety of sharpening stones, natural and synthetic.... It would cost me a second fortune. <eg>
I refuse to tally up what I've got invested in this hobby. But I have around 30 straights at the moment and a handful of stones. I will say I'm naturally a cheapskate so I don't think I've overpayed for any of it. Individually anyway.

Not a lot to say about the shave today. It was pretty rushed. Had to get up early to shovel snow (first real snowfall since October) and then spent a good twenty minutes unsuccessfully trying to locate some documents with my wife. So that's frustrating. And we had a meeting this morning at school which we were still late for, but everyone else was too.

Proraso Red cream, a couple drops of myrrh, STF brush. Bam, lather. The straight was a Japanese one, Falcon is the brand. It has the tell-tale signs of self customization by a Japanese barber: the heel is ground forward, the tang is ground off kind of crudely to provide a better grip, etc. It's not real pretty but it does do the job very well.

20240215_071714.jpg

I guess I didn't want @cajunrph to feel left out. I managed to draw blood on my lower right cheek with the straight-- a very rare sight in my den these days, but it closed up by the time I was done. DE work was done by the Fatip/Bic with some shaves on it. That was uneventful, smooth and efficient. Splash was the Veg. I sure didn't take any time to appreciate the shave but a few hours later the results are pretty nice. That's the great thing about a great shave, isn't it? It's nice in the moment, but the positive effects last all day.

Listened to k.d. lang's Hymns of the 49th Parallel today. This is one of my favorite albums of any genre. Definitely in my top 5. It's entirely songs by Canadian songwriters. Many of them I like better than the originals. Actually, I probably like all of them better than the originals. The production value is high, arrangements are thoughtful, not overdone at all. Somehow manages to sound sparse and full at the same time. Even the cover photo is perfect. And, what a voice. I know not everyone agrees with her politics, but... what a voice.

I guess I didn't want @cajunrph to feel left out. I managed to draw blood on my lower right cheek with the straight-- a very rare sight in my den these days, but it closed up by the time I was done.
I'm in good company. Mine heals up quickly as well, I often think I have the healing power of Wolverine, but I lack the chiseled body. I do have the body of a god, unfortunately his name is Budda.

Late writeup today. Spending time with the two kids I don't see as much.

I used the Oumo, again(!) and I do get the sense it is opening up a little more, which is to say it was very pleasant. Soap was MdC Rose and the straight was Rigarazor. Lovely shave all around. I moved yesterday's Bic into the Fatip for later, loaded a Nacet with one shave on it into the OGOT. Somehow felt more efficient than the Bic did yesterday. I have no doubts that different razors favor different blades but I am only now starting to find a preference. I really like the Treet 7 days in the OT, followed closely by Nacets and Silver Blues. In the Fatip I like Feathers and Bics the best, so far. Nacets seem a step ahead of the other PPIs in that one. I did get a little more feedback from the Veg, below the jawline, which I'm beginning to see as a pattern with Nacets. But minimal. I don't keep score but I probably wouldn't take points off if I did.

The kid had good auditions at both Northwestern and DePaul. So we wait to hear. I introduced him to the Tony Rice Unit's "Devlin." He really dug it. I knew it would be right up his alley. I actually played "Little Sadie" for him first. He couldn't really believe it was the same guys. Lol.

Be well, all. I'm not a football fan these days (HERETIC!) for reasons that I won't get into here. I hope those of you who are have a good time with family, friends, and food.View attachment 1794864
That is a gorgeous straight.

Brilliant shave today. Had the Hoshi Tombo frameback dialed up for Frameback Friday and it didn't disappoint. Just the perfect balance of gentle and keen. The soap was Proraso Red with a couple drops of myrrh. Yaqi two-band brush did the scrubbing and sudsing. I kind of lost track of how many shaves are on the Bic that's currently in the Fatip. It shows no signs of slowing down. Safe, smooth, and close today. No blood anywhere.

Had to dig out the Nivea again since it was about 12 F this morning, topped it off with Proraso red.

Music was Mahler 3, I started at the 4th movement which is the alto solo. I've probably said this before, but the brass chorale towards the beginning of the 5th movement is just about the prettiest thing I've ever heard. I haven't really sat down with the score to analyze the piece as a whole but I think it would be fair to say, while that's clearly not the climax of the piece, it is its zenith in a way-- because everything that follows is essentially resolution. Perhaps "developed resolution" in the sense that the chorale, as it's first presented, is a very tight, concise exposition and the rest of the finale really ties up the loose ends of the entire symphony within the framework of extending the themes in that brass chorale.

That's a lot of words but the reality was, when the chorale started I had tears streaming down my face (again) which was not particularly convenient since I was driving directly into the sun in heavy traffic. But, all was well.

Happy Friday, everyone. Be well.

Wonderful shave today. It was incredibly efficient, but still quite slow because I was chatting with Mrs. Scandalous the whole time, while she sat in bed and enjoyed her coffee. The actual shaving was accomplished with a miminum of strokes. I think I spent more time rehydrating my lather since it kept drying out.

The straight was the Daishi folding kamisori. I know I keep waxing poetic about Yasuki steel but I just love the way these edges hone and shave. I used Stirling Beeswax today with the Elite lapis brush. The DE was the Fatip with a fresh Feather. If I were a rich man...I'd one-and-done Feathers every day. The Bics are great, and last a long time for me, but the Feather is more efficient. Finished with the Veg and not even a tingle, and no stubble to be felt. The perfect balance of smooth and comfortable.
20240217_102127.jpg

I had another razor waiting in the mailbox, another asymmetric grind Japanese by way of Griffith. It's an "Okina" which is the cheerful old man character from the ritual play of the same name that is sometimes performed at the beginning of a traditional Noh performance. It's more ritual than drama, unlike Noh proper, and invokes peace and prosperity. I actually got to see this in Tokyo years ago.

The blade is the usual 13/16" but the cutting edge is about 1-7/8, even shorter than the Daishi. I think I'm going to love it. I'm going to hone it though, no disrespect to the vendor as his edges are just fine, but I have found that I like my own edges a little better.

20240217_104909.jpg

Here's an example of an Okina mask:
Okina_type_noh_mask,_Muromachi_period,_1400s-1500s_AD,_wood,_polychromy_-_Tokyo_National_Museu...jpg

I honed the Okina yesterday afternoon. Like many of the Japanese blades in my den, it came together very quickly. I get a higher level of polish on the lower grits than I do on other steels. And very little swarf is generated in the process. Somehow they managed to create a steel that takes a high level of hardness but still hones easily.

The razor itself, with its very short cutting edge, operates a lot like an AC barber razor. The only thing I would say, is that the asymmetry is more noticeable with this one than the Daishi I used yesterday. That is to say, it's much less forgiving of higher angles on the "wrong" side. Gotta keep it very low. Also the very square, straight edge means I dragged the point and heel in my neck hollows on the right side. This happens with longer blades too. I'll have to be more attentive to that next time and leave a little more for the DE to clean up.

Overall the shave was very nice though, I cleaned up with the Fatip and the Feather didn't cause any drama.

Soap was Beeswax again, lathered with the Vestavia silvertip. Finished with Nivea and the Veg.

Be well.
20240218_112454.jpg

I honed the Okina yesterday afternoon. Like many of the Japanese blades in my den, it came together very quickly. I get a higher level of polish on the lower grits than I do on other steels. And very little swarf is generated in the process. Somehow they managed to create a steel that takes a high level of hardness but still hones easily.

The razor itself, with its very short cutting edge, operates a lot like an AC barber razor. The only thing I would say, is that the asymmetry is more noticeable with this one than the Daishi I used yesterday. That is to say, it's much less forgiving of higher angles on the "wrong" side. Gotta keep it very low. Also the very square, straight edge means I dragged the point and heel in my neck hollows on the right side. This happens with longer blades too. I'll have to be more attentive to that next time and leave a little more for the DE to clean up.

Overall the shave was very nice though, I cleaned up with the Fatip and the Feather didn't cause any drama.

Soap was Beeswax again, lathered with the Vestavia silvertip. Finished with Nivea and the Veg.

Be well.
View attachment 1798323
That is a gorgeous straight. I like the looks of the short wide blades 🤩

Had a nice, no drama shave with the Ribbon 100 designed by Ryuichi Saito. Razorock 400 made a nice lather out of Stirling Beeswax. The DE was the Fatip with a fresh Treet 7 day. Took my time since the kids are off school today. Very close and smooth, the Veg didn't burn at all.

Listened to Metallica's 72 Seasons on the way into work. I wouldn't say I'm a heavy metal fan (at least not any more) but I've always been a Metallica fan. I really like this album. I think it's the only one of their post 1991 albums I've listened to more than once.

Be well, everyone.

Listened to Metallica's 72 Seasons on the way into work. I wouldn't say I'm a heavy metal fan (at least not any more) but I've always been a Metallica fan. I really like this album. I think it's the only one of their post 1991 albums I've listened to more than once.
I have noticed that you have quite a broad taste in music. I once worked with a pharmacist at a local hospital like that. His name was also John. I was the nice John and he was the grumpy John. He'd listen to AC/DC one day then Classical music the next. One day he had some classical music playing in the pharmacy, the charge nurse from one of the floors called the pharmacy for a question and heard the music. She asked "What was that???" in a somewhat judging voice. The techs told her it was John's music, after the nurse made some less than flattering remarks about John's taste in music, he called her a "Pesant" in a condescending voice. It was quite hilarious then to see it transpire. I'm chuckling thinking about it.

Top Bottom