What's new

The Scandal Sheet: Straights and other stuff

Well, I can report that the R41 was very nice again today. The common bar handle is a nice pairing, I think. Maybe it was the second run on the blade, or the different weight and balance, or something else, but it was as close to an autopilot experience as I have had with a DE. Still very efficient, but no sense of danger either from nicks or overshaving. I'm not sure what angle I ended up using, that's how little I was paying attention, but it was very intuitive and easy to maintain. So. Winner, winner.

The straight was the Hoshi Tombo frameback and it still did most of the heavy lifting, of course. It's kind of an autopilot razor for me too. Soap was MdC Rose, and the RV/Semogue was damn near perfect today, I let it soak for a good 15 minutes. I finished everything off with the Veg and there was precious little feedback, even on the neck areas that I worked over pretty good with the R41.

Today I listened to Roseanne Cash's The River and the Thread. Let me say, to start, that I'm not a huge fan of much of her body of work. But this album is really, really great. I couldn't call it country...Americana seems too vague... a lot of acoustic blues influence. The entire thing is rather Southern Gothic, but steeped in real experience. You can practically feel the heatwaves coming off of it. And it's incredibly cohesive. Everything fits together like a quilt when you step back and view the whole thing. Even the lighter moments are cast against a brooding landscape of memories, experience, and relentlessly visceral rhythmic drive. And, lyrically it's incredibly efficient. There are no throw-away lines. No cheap cliches. Every word hits with a weight of deep meaning and the sharp edges are barely softened by the polite veneer of Southern charm.

I guess what I'm saying is, I like this album. I would recommend it to everybody.

Be well.
20240621_072450.jpg

Decent shave today. Danshaku for the straight. I used my Oumo brush to lather up MdC Rose. Did a kind of hybrid mostly face lather. Felt kind of scrubby at first but very gentle by the second pass. I also used Proraso preshave after the first pass. I know it's weird but with MdC it really suits me. The soap does a nice job penetrating the whiskers on its own at first and then the preshave bumps things up a notch.

R41 was still nice and easy but the blade is starting to feel a little harsh. I suppose a razor with more blade feel makes that more obvious. Still, a very smooth and comfortable result. Finished with the Veg.

The youngest critter has a playdate at noon so we're trying to straighten up the ongoing disaster area that is our home. My folks ordered the set of James Herriot's books for my other daughter for her birthday and it should be delivered shortly so I'll drop those off at her mom's. May find some other excuses to avoid the playdate. I mostly tolerate my own kids... other people's, not so much.

Be well.
20240622_084816.jpg

I mostly tolerate my own kids... other people's, not so much.
Yes...I completely get it. I can stand the wife's grandkids, other children...nah. Don't have to. I generally just leave. That's why the cabin is so nice right now...just us. When the nephews, nieces and their kids arrive we tend to leave. Which is kinda funny when you consider we're going on a Disney cruise with her daughter and the two grandkids. BUT, the Disney rep guaranteed me that if I didn't even want to see children there's so much for adults to do etc that I would still enjoy the trip.

Today's shave was my Osuga, a really nice Japanese full hollow with a REALLY nice edge straight from the factory. Better than I can do with my skills and stones. It's like the perfect intersection of sharp, smooth, and effortless.

Used the TGN knot again with MdC Agrumes. Like yesterday it was a little scrubby as I face lathered the first pass, but subsequent passes were painted on and were just lovely. And it's a lather machine.

I binned the Nacet and loaded a Treet 7 Day into the R41. On a whim I also loaded one into another franken-configuration: Fatip open comb with Old Type cap. That was... weird. Wouldn't cut very well at neutral to steep, and cut a little TOO well shallow. Managed to nick myself above the right jawbone before setting it down. The R41 saved the day though. No issues with that blade combo.

Finished with Myrsol. Be well.

Eric_75

Not made for these times.
Today's shave was my Osuga, a really nice Japanese full hollow with a REALLY nice edge straight from the factory. Better than I can do with my skills and stones. It's like the perfect intersection of sharp, smooth, and effortless.

Used the TGN knot again with MdC Agrumes. Like yesterday it was a little scrubby as I face lathered the first pass, but subsequent passes were painted on and were just lovely. And it's a lather machine.

I binned the Nacet and loaded a Treet 7 Day into the R41. On a whim I also loaded one into another franken-configuration: Fatip open comb with Old Type cap. That was... weird. Wouldn't cut very well at neutral to steep, and cut a little TOO well shallow. Managed to nick myself above the right jawbone before setting it down. The R41 saved the day though. No issues with that blade combo.

Finished with Myrsol. Be well.
Yes, please heal quickly, Matt.

F.W. Söderén up today for the straight. I did a quick touchup on my Escher and it was about as good a shave as I could ask for. Soap was Beeswax lathered with a Yaqi two-band.

DE, I took the Treet out of the failed Franken-combo from yesterday and loaded it into my Old Type. Mostly as a test. I had the R41 ready to go. I've said before that the Old Type is efficient until it isn't. I think I would modify that statement after today: it is actually quite efficient but it suffers from two flaws (for me). One, it doesn't cut quite as close for me as the News and the R41. But it cuts very well. Two, the head geometry gets in the way on one of my neck hollows on the left side, and it leaves a more notable fur patch there. In fairness, that's probably the hardest spot for me to get to BBS, with any razor. Lots of stretching in different directions, bullfrogging, etc will usually get me there, or close. But the OT just can't. I was pretty happy with the right side though, but I was still able to pick up just a little more with the R41. And it mowed down the left side fur patch much easier.

One of yesterday's nicks is still a little tender, although the R41 didn't bother it at all. The OT wanted to reopen it but I managed to avoid it.

The youngest got accidentally exposed to smooth jazz yesterday and was wondering about jazz in general so we did a quick survey of real jazz. Ellington, Basie, Monk, Mingus, Miles Davis, Satchmo, Bird, Herbie Hancock...she digs it all. And I think she understands why I don't think much of "smooth" jazz.

Be well.
20240624_072123.jpg

Had a killer shave with my Shell 71 razor. The edge I put on this one is pretty darn close to the factory edge on yesterday's razor, very, very nice. I used Beeswax again and broke out the Proraso Pro boar brush which has been sadly neglected since getting the RV/Semogue brush. Despite the very cheap handle, this is a great brush.

DE cleanup was the R41. Treet blade was still very smooth but starting to show a dropoff in performance, so I binned it after the shave. I continue to be impressed with this razor. I haven't decided if I'll load another blade into it for tomorrow or switch to one of my News for a change of pace. Finished with Bignoli. Very smooth and comfortable all around.

Be well.
20240625_065425.jpg

The Shell was so nice yesterday, I decided to give it another run today. Still great. Not much to say about the shave, really, although I experimented with using longer strokes both with the straight and the DE and I probably got done quicker than usual. Although I didn't time it. DE was the R41 with a new Bic. Still great. Feels very forgiving considering its level of efficiency and closeness.
20240626_071701.jpg

Listened to a new-to-me album today. Open Sky by Stephanie Jones. She's a very talented classical guitarist. I discovered her on YouTube a while back playing Bach, which she does masterfully. This album is a collection of South American pieces. Really showcases her range: she's capable of incredible, percussive clarity without sounding harsh, but she's also capable of incredibly delicate lyrical lines.

Here's a video of one the pieces from that album:

Be well.

Had a nice shave today with my Friodur. Maybe not as precise feeling as some steels but very comfortable. I am continuing to work the TGN knot, it's still scrubby but it wasn't intolerable. For a change of pace I used my ball-end New LC for the cleanup pass. It may be less efficient than the R41 but it's still capable of delivering a very close shave. I also discovered that it will tolerate and reward a little bit of pressure.

Listened to more of Stephanie Jones today, an album called Colours of Spain which is kind of a survey of Spanish guitar music over the past few centuries.

Be well.
20240627_071135.jpg

F.W. Söderén up today for the straight. I did a quick touchup on my Escher and it was about as good a shave as I could ask for. Soap was Beeswax lathered with a Yaqi two-band.

DE, I took the Treet out of the failed Franken-combo from yesterday and loaded it into my Old Type. Mostly as a test. I had the R41 ready to go. I've said before that the Old Type is efficient until it isn't. I think I would modify that statement after today: it is actually quite efficient but it suffers from two flaws (for me). One, it doesn't cut quite as close for me as the News and the R41. But it cuts very well. Two, the head geometry gets in the way on one of my neck hollows on the left side, and it leaves a more notable fur patch there. In fairness, that's probably the hardest spot for me to get to BBS, with any razor. Lots of stretching in different directions, bullfrogging, etc will usually get me there, or close. But the OT just can't. I was pretty happy with the right side though, but I was still able to pick up just a little more with the R41. And it mowed down the left side fur patch much easier.

One of yesterday's nicks is still a little tender, although the R41 didn't bother it at all. The OT wanted to reopen it but I managed to avoid it.

The youngest got accidentally exposed to smooth jazz yesterday and was wondering about jazz in general so we did a quick survey of real jazz. Ellington, Basie, Monk, Mingus, Miles Davis, Satchmo, Bird, Herbie Hancock...she digs it all. And I think she understands why I don't think much of "smooth" jazz.

Be well.View attachment 1867530
The wifey and I saw Wynton Marsalis this past weekend. The music was all Ella and Duke. Great show.

Top Bottom