What's new

The Scandal Sheet: Straights and other stuff

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Today I continued the mini experiment of Stirling preshave soap followed by Proraso preshave, this time with MdC. I don't know if it was notably better than my usual routine with MdC but it wasn't worse either. I used the TGN brush again, the funk is pretty much gone now and it makes lather like a champ. Straight was Heljestrand MK 3, it was very nice as always. For the DE I grabbed the Fatip Retro and loaded a Feather. I really love this combo. I may have been using a shallower angle (that's my default but I like this razor neutral to steep too). It was smooth and pretty efficient although I did have to work for it on the throat. Finished with the Veg. Got some stingle on the throat but not bad.

I did order an R41 head last night. Not like I need it. Maybe I'll love it. Maybe not.

View attachment 1864529

Looking forward to your thoughts on it, Matt.

I just had one delivered today. LOL.... I'll give it a try soon.

As soon as I get the R41 I'll use it and report in. With new gear I'm like a kid with a new toy, it gets bumped to the head of the line.

Shave today was ok. Results were great, process was a little tedious. I face lathered with the Vestavia silvertip, MdC Rose. That was all good although I didn't load enough so had to go back for seconds later. Straight was the glitter bomb Shumate. I think it had an Escher edge. It was kind of meh. But it did take hair off. I took it to the Arkansas stones after the shave so I suppose I'll need to test it out tomorrow. Fatip again for thr DE, and that was quite pleasant. Finished with Bignoli Agrumi di Mediterraneo. Got a little more stingle than I wanted but not bad.

Be well.
20240619_082035.jpg

Eric_75

Not made for these times.
Well, the "Stubble Buster" (Mühle R41) delivered yet again. I paired it with a Silver Star. A winning combo for me. No blood, smooth face. Close and comfortable.

Looking forward to your thoughts, Matt.

Afternoon blessings to you.

Ok, so the R41 was delivered last night. I loaded a Nacet into it and took a hard look at the geometry, seemed like it was something I could work with. Not a lot of gap, decent exposure. Clamping on the underside is pretty nonexistent and not a ton of blade bend, both of those slight are negatives in my mind but I figured I could work with it, probably with a neutral to steep angle. Although, the cheesegrater design of the bottom of the baseplate kind of discourages going too steep. For the handle, I grabbed the rather long, bamboo handle that came with the no-name razor my kid got me for Christmas. Had a little difficulty starting the threads, not sure what that's about but it came together after a couple tries, although I was never quite convinced that it was fully tight (I think it was, though). Will have to mess around with other handles. Anyway, those are all first impressions. I'll talk about the shave more below.

I decided to use Beeswax and my Elite lapis brush. I stropped both the Shumate from yesterday, that I re-honed, and the Sistrum, which is what I had intended to use today. The Shumate was definitely improved, and I could have used it for the whole shave, but I switched to the Sistrum for the second and third passes. I wanted something a little more forgiving today and that fit the bill just fine.

So, DE cleanup. I was a little apprehensive about the new razor but that went away pretty quickly. I would call it more efficient than aggressive. I can see, based on the geometry changes, how the first version would be a bloodletter, though. I noticed that at the right corner of my chin, having to mess around with different angles to get around the bone, it does let you know that the blade is there sometimes. In general though it seems to work just fine at a neutral angle and equally well slightly shallower and slightly steeper. I can't run it nearly as shallow as my News (which is where they cut the best), it feels a little dangerous, especially if it catches a hair wrong and tugs and flexes the blade. And too steep, well, it may work just fine but as expected, the cheesegrater baseplate makes that less comfortable so I didn't explore that much. Overall, though, very efficient even in the most troublesome spots, and pretty smooth...certainly no weepers or overly exfoliated skin, even going back and buffing around the Adam's apple (my FOCS, by comparison, will plane of skin if I do that, so I don't). I splashed on enough Myrsol Limon to choke a mule and it confirmed that I got a very close, pretty gentle shave.

I listened to k.d. lang's Hymns of The 49th Parallel this morning (covers of Canadian songwriters). This is one of my desert island albums for sure. I love everything about it, and much prefer her take on most of those songs to the originals (looking at you, Joni Mitchell and Neil Young).

Be well.

Ok, so the R41 was delivered last night. I loaded a Nacet into it and took a hard look at the geometry, seemed like it was something I could work with. Not a lot of gap, decent exposure. Clamping on the underside is pretty nonexistent and not a ton of blade bend, both of those slight are negatives in my mind but I figured I could work with it, probably with a neutral to steep angle. Although, the cheesegrater design of the bottom of the baseplate kind of discourages going too steep. For the handle, I grabbed the rather long, bamboo handle that came with the no-name razor my kid got me for Christmas. Had a little difficulty starting the threads, not sure what that's about but it came together after a couple tries, although I was never quite convinced that it was fully tight (I think it was, though). Will have to mess around with other handles. Anyway, those are all first impressions. I'll talk about the shave more below.

I decided to use Beeswax and my Elite lapis brush. I stropped both the Shumate from yesterday, that I re-honed, and the Sistrum, which is what I had intended to use today. The Shumate was definitely improved, and I could have used it for the whole shave, but I switched to the Sistrum for the second and third passes. I wanted something a little more forgiving today and that fit the bill just fine.

So, DE cleanup. I was a little apprehensive about the new razor but that went away pretty quickly. I would call it more efficient than aggressive. I can see, based on the geometry changes, how the first version would be a bloodletter, though. I noticed that at the right corner of my chin, having to mess around with different angles to get around the bone, it does let you know that the blade is there sometimes. In general though it seems to work just fine at a neutral angle and equally well slightly shallower and slightly steeper. I can't run it nearly as shallow as my News (which is where they cut the best), it feels a little dangerous, especially if it catches a hair wrong and tugs and flexes the blade. And too steep, well, it may work just fine but as expected, the cheesegrater baseplate makes that less comfortable so I didn't explore that much. Overall, though, very efficient even in the most troublesome spots, and pretty smooth...certainly no weepers or overly exfoliated skin, even going back and buffing around the Adam's apple (my FOCS, by comparison, will plane of skin if I do that, so I don't). I splashed on enough Myrsol Limon to choke a mule and it confirmed that I got a very close, pretty gentle shave.

I listened to k.d. lang's Hymns of The 49th Parallel this morning (covers of Canadian songwriters). This is one of my desert island albums for sure. I love everything about it, and much prefer her take on most of those songs to the originals (looking at you, Joni Mitchell and Neil Young).

Be well.
Seems like a pretty respectable first outing with the R41. I also found that you can use it at a variety of angles. I tend to start the first pass more or less at neutral angle and then go shallower as the passes progress. I find this a natural progression for me. It is funny that while I am shaving it does not feel like it is getting much closer than any other good ol razor, but once you are done I have noticed that I am a bit smoother and my stubble does not return for quite some time.

Eric_75

Not made for these times.

Be well.
Excellent review, Matt.

Flanders

Stupid sexy Wing Nut
If you try it, post a pic here. Still thinking about that option although the cheapskate in me is leaning toward something simpler in steel.
Have a look at Italian Barber, maybe the new hollow handle? The problem is going to be loading enough in the cart to make it worth it. 😬

There are some good options on Alli express if you can stomach order from there. Ds Cosmetics and Yaqi and one other I forget.

Have a look at Italian Barber, maybe the new hollow handle? The problem is going to be loading enough in the cart to make it worth it. 😬

There are some good options on Alli express if you can stomach order from there. Ds Cosmetics and Yaqi and one other I forget.
I've been looking at IB. Maggard has some options too.

I mounted a Gillette common bar for tomorrow. Interestingly the ball end old type handle wouldn't tighten all the way down. The common bar seems like a better weight/balance combo than the longer bamboo handle I used this morning.

Top Bottom