What's new

The Scandal Sheet: Straights and other stuff

Continuing the edge testing today, the straight was my Okina. Now this one, I absolutely can't tell a difference between the Escher finish and the previous arkansas finish--that's not a bad thing, it's a great shaver. But an interesting data point. And I did do a brief cleanup on 8k and 12k synths prior to the Escher so I'm confident that I wiped out the previous "fingerprint."

On the DE front, I spent some time with my crappy calipers looking at my various News. The caps and plates all seem to run at the same dimension. I did note, between the two LCs, that there is just a hair more exposure on the one I favor. Like, a 10th of a mm. (measuring the width of the blade from one side to the other when clamped down). I also found that bolt on the square cut SC cap has a slightly different length and will only actually fit the handle that it came with, using the other SC common bar handle it won't snug up all the way. Anyway, didn't learn much there. I used the nicer LC this morning and it worked just fine, maybe not with the wow factor of the other one, but hair was removed.

Soap was Beeswax, brush was RV/Semogue. Finished with Myrsol. All in all, a very nice shave. Although it felt kind of generic somehow. But, boring is good sometimes.

Be well.
20240530_070940.jpg

Forgot to mention. My bottle of Stephan Lilac got delivered yesterday. When I opened the door to grab the package, I could smell it a little...bottle was leaking a bit. I did splash a little on to get a feel for it. I don't think it's a winner. It has a bit of "truckstop bathroom" vibe to me. The generic cleaners/air fresheners they use, to be clear. Not the pissoirs. Anyway. It did leave my skin feeling nice and the scent fades quickly.

Eric_75

Not made for these times.
Forgot to mention. My bottle of Stephan Lilac got delivered yesterday. When I opened the door to grab the package, I could smell it a little...bottle was leaking a bit. I did splash a little on to get a feel for it. I don't think it's a winner. It has a bit of "truckstop bathroom" vibe to me. The generic cleaners/air fresheners they use, to be clear. Not the pissoirs. Anyway. It did leave my skin feeling nice and the scent fades quickly.
Sorry it wasn't a winner for you, Matt. Feel free to throw a tomato, turnip or cabbage at me. 😆

Today's shave was as good as I could ask for. My tiny E.A. Berg frameback did an exemplary job, punches well above its weightclass. For whatever reason my stubble was nice and itchy this morning so the tiny bit of scritch that's left in the little STF was welcome. MdC Rose got the nod for the soap. One of these days I'm going to trust that I've loaded enough because I always go back for a little more and end up with enough lather for an extra pass or two.

DE was my favorite SC, it mowed everything down too. Finished with the Veg, had a touch of feedback, more of a tingle than a sting, (stingle?) but it was there, and then it was gone. A great way to start a Friday.

Started listening to And Justice For All today. Everybody rags on the mix, which is a fair criticism, but I actually like the way they handled the guitar sounds, even though it comes out a bit sterile. Lots of musical intricacy on this album; it's always nice to come back to it with fresh ears.

Be well.
20240531_071041.jpg

Hey Matt, I really like the look of your Okina. I find the blade shape interesting. What are the differences in the shave technique using that Straight compared to your razor today? The Okina seems to have a shorter cutting area but its a wider blade to my untrained, never used a straight, eyes.

Eric_75

Not made for these times.
Started listening to And Justice For All today. Everybody rags on the mix, which is a fair criticism, but I actually like the way they handled the guitar sounds, even though it comes out a bit sterile. Lots of musical intricacy on this album; it's always nice to come back to it with fresh ears.
I wish I still had my old And Justice For All t-shirt, Matt. Pretty sure my mother threw it out decades ago. 😆

Hey Matt, I really like the look of your Okina. I find the blade shape interesting. What are the differences in the shave technique using that Straight compared to your razor today? The Okina seems to have a shorter cutting area but its a wider blade to my untrained, never used a straight, eyes.
It's a little over 20mm wide, and I think the cutting edge is under 50mm. Today's razor is probably 13mm at best, not sure what the cutting edge length is but I would guess in the 60-65mm range. Anyway, the Okina handles similarly to an AC shavette in terms of dimensions. Really, the biggest difference between these two is the slight curve to the edge on the Berg. I like that, it really isolates where the cutting is happening and keeps the toe and heel out of the way, especially when you're navigating tough terrain. Most days I prefer a shorter cutting edge to a longer one for the same reason, it's more maneuverable.

The other big difference is the narrower the blade, the more you have to mind your shave angle, because small deviations make for big changes. And the Okina is asymetrically ground as well, although it's not a true single bevel, but the long and short of it is you have to use a pretty low angle when the show side is against your face.

Hope that makes sense.

It's a little over 20mm wide, and I think the cutting edge is under 50mm. Today's razor is probably 13mm at best, not sure what the cutting edge length is but I would guess in the 60-65mm range. Anyway, the Okina handles similarly to an AC shavette in terms of dimensions. Really, the biggest difference between these two is the slight curve to the edge on the Berg. I like that, it really isolates where the cutting is happening and keeps the toe and heel out of the way, especially when you're navigating tough terrain. Most days I prefer a shorter cutting edge to a longer one for the same reason, it's more maneuverable.

The other big difference is the narrower the blade, the more you have to mind your shave angle, because small deviations make for big changes. And the Okina is asymetrically ground as well, although it's not a true single bevel, but the long and short of it is you have to use a pretty low angle when the show side is against your face.

Hope that makes sense.
It does make sense to me. The way you described it leads me to believe that it would be easier to learn to shave with an Okina type straight. I am mulling around the idea of getting an AC shavette to see if I can learn to use an open blade. I am a few months out on pulling the trigger.

It does make sense to me. The way you described it leads me to believe that it would be easier to learn to shave with an Okina type straight. I am mulling around the idea of getting an AC shavette to see if I can learn to use an open blade. I am a few months out on pulling the trigger.
eh, why not? I will say that I find ACs a little less forgiving for two reasons. 1, the very straight edge can get me in trouble on my neck and jaw. 2, the blades are plenty sharp but a little less discerning between hairs and skin. But that can be true of a traditional straight, too, depending on how it's honed. I wouldn't let that put you off.

Somebody here in the journal section was talking about agonizing about purchases. I certainly do that. Sometimes I sweat the amount I paid, sometimes I sweat that I missed something in the photos and am getting taken, regardless of what I paid.

I have a box waiting at home with three razors from Japan, the photos weren't great even by Yahoo Japan standards, and I certainly didn't overpay (I hope). I've been sweating this one for over a week, but at least in a few hours I'll know for sure.

Well, didn't need to sweat as my assessment of the photos was spot on, and all three look better in person. Two Eikos, one with moderate hone wear and 21mm, right where I guessed. The other has light honewear but some surface rust, because of the photo angle I wasn't sure of the size but it's about 22mm. Those are quarter hollow leaning toward near wedge. And a rather unusual YSS branded smily blade, 19mm, almost no honewear, half hollow. All three are Yasuki steel. Pretty tickled. More pics once I clean them up.

20240531_170958.jpg

Jay21

Collecting wife bonus parts
Somebody here in the journal section was talking about agonizing about purchases. I certainly do that. Sometimes I sweat the amount I paid, sometimes I sweat that I missed something in the photos and am getting taken, regardless of what I paid.

I have a box waiting at home with three razors from Japan, the photos weren't great even by Yahoo Japan standards, and I certainly didn't overpay (I hope). I've been sweating this one for over a week, but at least in a few hours I'll know for sure.
Season 5 Hello GIF by Pee-wee Herman

It was me

I spent a little time lightly sanding the three new additions last night. The YSS needed the least work so I figured I'd give it a quick honing. Had a minor ding in the edge that needed to come out but after that it came together very quick, which has been my experience with Yasuki steel generally.

It's a great shaver. The grind is right in my sweet spot. The way the tang and spine are curved took a minute to get used to in terms of the direction of the stroke, especially around the edges of the face. But, it was really great.

Soap was Agrumes. Managed to load just the right amount today. I've been doing something that might seem a little strange. I don't use preshave for the first pass with MdC, as it seems to really do a good job softening the whiskers in its own. I face lathered for the first pass. Then rinsed and applied preshave before the second. Preshave seems to help avoid the minor drying aspect of MdC for me.

For the DE I used the ball-end long comb New. I focused on an almost excessive cap- riding angle and it was very efficient, close, and smooth. This razor will still cut at more neutral angles, unlike the short combs in my experience, but it's a lot more consistent when I run it very shallow.

Finished with Myrsol and no sting, slightly delayed menthol burn, so I certainly didn't overdo anything. Great shave.

Be well.
20240601_091017.jpg

I spent some quality time honing the two Eikos yesterday, finished one on the Escher and the other on a tranlucent arkansas. The grind is slightly heavier on the one, and it also seemed to be slightly more forgiving in the shave, but both were great. Really nice.

Soap was beeswax, the RV brush is now at a point where I can scrub a little more. Coming along nicely. DE was the ball- end LC again. Can't remember what blade is in it, maybe a Bic. It sure is comfy, though. Finished with Bignoli Agrumi di Mediterraneo. Very nice.

Be well.
20240602_084959.jpg
20240602_085952.jpg

Flanders

Stupid sexy Wing Nut
A have a bit of a secret: reading your journal makes me want to pull out a straight and do some work on it. I don't really have time for that, but I still use the barber razors regularly. You didn't say which one got the trans Ark, I am guessing the heavier ground one.

Stupid sexy Flandedrs

Top Bottom