What's new

The Scandal Sheet: Straights and other stuff

Mrs. Scandalous got some flowers today. I stole one for a mini photoshoot. "Kikuboshi" means "chrysanthemum star" so I think it fits.
20240526_131224.jpg

I was going back and forth on what razor to use this morning. Have a couple still out from earlier in the week so I stropped both the Friodur and the Gradwell and decided to see which one I liked better today. Did half my first pass with each and settled on the Gradwell. Either would have been top notch but there you go.

Pulled out a soap I'd forgotten about. Le Pere Lucien Oud Neroli. I always liked the scent but I've found the performance disappointing, in that the lather tends to dissipate after a pass or two. But it's great while it lasts. Haven't touched it for at least a year I think. I tried a different approach today. Loaded fairly heavily with the Vielong synth, fairly wet, but didn't agitate it much, just left the wet sudsy proto lather in the bowl and then lightly face lathered for each pass. Being careful not to overwork it. Well, that was a win. Very nice, consistent results from pass to pass. One other thing, my skin always feels great postshave with this soap but it does make my face flush a little. Kinda weird. But smells great and feels great, so...?

DE pass was the shinier SC, the one with the "proper" top cap. That was pretty nice. But then I grabbed yesterday's LC at the end and it definitely picked up a little more, and very comfortably. That LC is very efficient...will probably go back to it for a few days until it's time to change the blade.

Hope you all have a great day.
20240527_092553.jpg

Had an interesting shave today. I was reading a post here or there about the FOCS and aligning the blades, and I thought I should grab my FOCS and give it another run. Now, I had it all cleaned up and sanitized to list on the BST once I could figure out which of the vintage Gillettes I wanted to move on...but, I can always clean it up again. More on that below.

I also had been sniffing my random aftershaves yesterday (you guys do that, right?) and I *almost* decided to try Clubman again-- used to love it but then it started to bug me. But instead, I was struck by how nice Proraso Red smelled, so I decided to dial that up for today. Got a few squeezes of the matching cream left too, it's usually a cold weather soap for me, but whatever. It's cool and rainy today.

The Sistrum got the nod for the straight. It was really nice. Very smooth today. I drenched the hell out of the Proraso lather and my whiskers didn't stand a chance. Loaded a Nacet into the FOCS and went to town for the neck. I don't know if it's just that my technique is better after a couple weeks of slightly more aggressive razors, or what, but that was really nice too. Nice and efficient, not nippy, no cheesegrating my adam's apple. I did note that I was using a much more consistently shallow angle, and that may have been the deciding factor. Anyway, it was a great shave, and very efficient. I guess I may need to keep the FOCS after all. I never get much burn from the Red splash, but today I applied it with my face very wet, to counteract the sticky factor, and didn't even get a tingle. A couple hours later my skin feels just right, not sticky, not overshaved, nothing.

I told my wife a few days ago I am finally at the point in my life where I need a rain gauge. Mostly because the local weather office's must be broken, they haven't had precip listed in their 3-day history for a couple weeks. And with fresh sod, flower garden, and vegetable garden in the ground, I need to have at least some concept of how much rain we've had so I can water accordingly. She ordered one off Etsy, made by a gal a couple hours north of here, the idea being it would be for Father's day. But it arrived early and she gave it to me early since as she says, she can't keep secrets from me. It's pretty cool, the gauge fits into a coil of copper wire, which sits in a slab of Ely greenstone--a mineral from the town where Mrs. Scandalous was born. It's not valuable but it's geologically interesting. It's a very dense rock that started out as an underwater lava bubble, but then was slowly metamorphised by contintental subduction. You find it in the midst of granites and gneisses. About 2.7 billion years old, so right at the end of the Archaean age. I should have taken a picture but maybe I'll do that sometime soon.

The good news, is now my dad and I will have more to talk about on the phone, rain totals and commodity prices are one of his favorite subjects.

Be well.
20240528_070750.jpg

Interesting, Matt. I feel the same way about it now. I can't remember the last time I used it.
I've got a couple half-pint glass decanters, one with Clubman and one with Special Reserve. I still use the SR from time to time, mostly when it's below zero, but the Clubman just doesn't seem to smell right on me. It smells okay in the bottle though. Or maybe my nose is shot from excessive use of the Veg.

But then again, my tastes have changed with regard to scents, over the past couple years.

Eric_75

Not made for these times.
I've got a couple half-pint glass decanters, one with Clubman and one with Special Reserve. I still use the SR from time to time, mostly when it's below zero, but the Clubman just doesn't seem to smell right on me. It smells okay in the bottle though. Or maybe my nose is shot from excessive use of the Veg.

But then again, my tastes have changed with regard to scents, over the past couple years.
I enjoy Clubman Special Reserve but I mainly use it to make Bootlegger's El Dorado which is one of my favorite Autumn/Winter splashes.

I enjoy Clubman Special Reserve but I mainly use it to make Bootlegger's El Dorado which is one of my favorite Autumn/Winter splashes.
I've got a couple half-pint glass decanters, one with Clubman and one with Special Reserve

I would suggest mixing up a batch of Bootlegger's El Dorado, you need some English Lether in addition to the Clubman and Special Reserve. I much prefer El Dorado to the individual components. Details here.

Great shave today, the straight was my "Purple Princess" Diamond Hayashi. I am continuing my experiment with the Escher hone, just doing up to 20 laps on water only as a final finish. I did this with a handful of razors yesterday, this one was one, and it was very nice although I'd be hard pressed to say that it was better than the edge @haggis put on it. But it wasn't worse either, just a little different. Touchups are easy when you've got a great foundation to build on.

Soap was Agrumes. I didn't shake the water out of the Oumo enough and it left a very usable but sloppy lather. Had it running down the blade into the pivot, which is something I try to avoid. I usually don't get too wound up about water. My razors get wet sometimes. But soap will trap moisture, and this one has a clad tang which is also a potential moisture trap, so I rinsed it out thoroughly and dried it as best I could.

Went back to the LC (the efficient one of the two) and it blew through the remaining stubble on my neck and throat, although the blade is going in the bin after this, it was a little harsh and the Myrsol splash gave me a little confirmation of that. No idea how many shaves it's had, as I've been mixing and matching razors for days now. But all in all, a very close shave and quite comfortable after that initial sting.

We were ahead of schedule this morning so I surprised the teen by stopping for fancy coffee on the way to school. They were tickled. Even more tickled when the barista accidentally made one of our drinks twice. Bonus. I was less tickled by the leisurely freight train that came through right after that. But all's well that ends well, and if I was ever on time to work my team would probably worry that something was up. I'll make it up to them though, I'll duck out a few minutes early this afternoon.

Be well, all.
20240529_071406.jpg

Top Bottom