What's new

The Sazerac

Hey All,

Another curiosity question( kind like my Old Fashioned drink question) about what you use in your Sazerac.

I know tradition calls for a rye whiskey which I use AND I use an Absinthe...Lucid brand..( I don't think the brand of Absinthe really matters...tiny amount) to coat the glass along with Peychaud's and Angostura bitters. Sugar cube........no simple syrup....etc.

My question: What rye whiskey do you use in your Sazerac? Lately I've been using Old Overholt, Rittenhouse, and Sazerac Rye.

What do you use as your spirit?

Thanks.

I think the Sazerac brand is good for this...it isn't too expensive and after all...it is a mixed drink/cocktail. I had one a restaurant awhile back made with Jim Beam rye. That was one awful Sazerac.

I've used Jim Beam, George Dickel, Bulleit, and Wild Turkey. I like Old Turkey probably the best with Bulleit being a close second.

As an historical bit of trivia, the Sazerac was first made with brandy!! I've not tried it with that but that will be remedied in the near future. :001_smile

Any rye works for me. My palate is not discriminating enough to tell any significant difference in the various makers.

Sazerac 6, Templeton, Bulleit, all make a fine Sazerac. The Roosevelt in New Orleans, where I first tried it, uses Sazerac 6, and I liked it enough to find a bottle for home (It's gone!). But you can have a fine Sazerac using a rye that doesn't cost $50 a bottle. I use Herbsaint to coat the glass.

Sazerac 6, Templeton, Bulleit, all make a fine Sazerac. The Roosevelt in New Orleans, where I first tried it, uses Sazerac 6, and I liked it enough to find a bottle for home (It's gone!). But you can have a fine Sazerac using a rye that doesn't cost $50 a bottle. I use Herbsaint to coat the glass.
+1 I use Herbsaint as well. It works very very well.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Cohiba:
Hmmm...the Sazerac (some claim it's the oldest American cocktail),...the official cocktail of New Orleans...definitely have to give this
one a try.
proxy.php

"In March 2008, Louisiana state senator Edwin R. Murray (D-New Orleans) filed Senate Bill 6 designating the Sazerac as Louisiana's official state cocktail. The bill was defeated on April 8, 2008. After further debate, on June 23, 2008, the Louisiana Legislature agreed to proclaim the Sazerac as New Orleans' official cocktail".

Sourced:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sazerac[FONT=&amp]

proxy.php
"Imagine a delicious glass of [Sazerac]. Take a long cool sip. Listen to the ice crackle and clink. Is the glass part full or part empty..."?
Vera Nazarian[/FONT]

My next rye purchase is probably going to be Old Overholt. Rittenhouse will be in my future as well.

Top Bottom