What's new

The Savings Fund Begins Today

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
They do. I've owned several Sharps rifles in the past and loaded my own BP ctgs. with paper patched bullets. It's a lot of work and takes unbelievable dedication. I sold mine however and am dealing with a partially detached retina as is. I also have a "tennis" elbow that flares up after even a cylinder of magnums and once incapacitated me for a year. I'm beat up.
I’ll loan you my avatar!!

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
They do. I've owned several Sharps rifles in the past and loaded my own BP ctgs. with paper patched bullets. It's a lot of work and takes unbelievable dedication. I sold mine however and am dealing with a partially detached retina as is. I also have a "tennis" elbow that flares up after even a cylinder of magnums and once incapacitated me for a year. I'm beat up.
I can relate. You will rarely if ever see me shoot my revolvers with .357 loads anymore. GP 100 yes, but rarely. The .38 doesn't hurt my arthritis or bursitis in the elbow, but I have had the ole tennis elbow on 2 separate occasions, both times for over a year.

I've had surgeries that hurt less!

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista

I'd like to shoot a .50-90 Sharps...I think. One time. I'm starting to have problems racking the slide on my 1911, but I've worked on that. Getting better with the 22 lb. recoil spring now. Been carrying 230 grain Gold Dots in it. I'm interested in a Buffalo hunt, but I need to spend a summer on horseback to get used to it again.

Last time I shot a semi-serious rifle was son-in-laws Remington 700 .308 with a target heavy barrel and a nice scope. At 100 yards I put three shots in a one hole group. Shot off of a home rigged bench, about half way between a bench and prone. Next day I had bruises on my shoulder.

If I went there now on a horseback ride in I'd feel like I bulldogged a Buffalo instead of hunting one. Every bone and muscle in my body would feel like I was run over by one. Used to ride horses all day. I've been up close and personal with a Buffalo bull in N.E. Oklahoma pastures...they are huge. It had to dip its head down to look in the window of my truck.

BP is measured by volume instead of weight. I reload .45 rounds for my 1890s Colt.

Pulled out the old L frame a bit ago and tried staging the trigger...muscle memory is still there. I need to get some 148 grain wadcutters and put it through its paces. I don't have any problem with the old .41 mag. plow handle 3 screw Blackhawk though.

But back to Tim's thread...I want a new Diamondback.

Last edited:

FarmerTan

I'd like to shoot a .50-90 Sharps...I think. One time. I'm starting to have problems racking the slide on my 1911, but I've worked on that. Getting better with the 22 lb. recoil spring now. Been carrying 230 grain Gold Dots in it. I'm interested in a Buffalo hunt, but I need to spend a summer on horseback to get used to it again.

Last time I shot a semi-serious rifle was son-in-laws Remington 700 .308 with a target heavy barrel and a nice scope. At 100 yards I put three shots in a one hole group. Shot off of a home rigged bench, about half way between a bench and prone. Next day I had bruises on my shoulder.

If I went there now on a horseback ride in I'd feel like I bulldogged a Buffalo instead of hunting one. Every bone and muscle in my body would feel like I was run over by one. Used to ride horses all day. I've been up close and personal with a Buffalo bull in N.E. Oklahoma pastures...they are huge. It had to dip its head down to look in the window of my truck.

BP is measured by volume instead of weight. I reload .45 rounds for my 1890s Colt.

Pulled out the old L frame a bit ago and tried staging the trigger...muscle memory is still there. I need to get some 148 grain wadcutters and put it through its paces.
I haven't been on a horse in 40? years, I'd bet. Good on you for even considering it.

Had a friend who raised buffalo. At night they look like the size of elephant!

One got loose once and ended up where I worked one night. I'm not lying when I say that ole boy was bigger than 90 percent of the cars in the lot!

I'd like to shoot a .50-90 Sharps...I think.

I had a 16 lbs. Sharps .50 2.5" and loaded 100 gr. (weighed) FG behind a 473 gr. paper patched bullet. Even at 16 lbs. you knew you'd fired a man's gun.

BP is measured by volume instead of weight. I reload .45 rounds for my 1890s Colt...

For large BPCR ctgs. it is weighed for more accurate performance as well as "drop tubed" into the case.

FarmerTan

I had a 16 lbs. Sharps .50 2.5" and loaded 100 gr. (weighed) FG behind a 473 gr. paper patched bullet. Even at 16 lbs. you knew you'd fired a man's gun.

For large BPCR ctgs. it is weighed for more accurate performance as well as "drop tubed" into the case.
You guys are talking way over my head, but I ain't never been man enough to shoot the stuff you are talking about! Wow.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I haven't been on a horse in 40? years, I'd bet. Good on you for even considering it.

Had a friend who raised buffalo. At night they look like the size of elephant!

One got loose once and ended up where I worked one night. I'm not lying when I say that ole boy was bigger than 90 percent of the cars in the lot!

Yeah, buddy...buffs are big...HUGE.

The ranch manager next to us used to rent my pasture to keep personal horses in. Big quarter horses. I'd go out and feed them some carrots and wife went with me sometimes. She was within touching distance and said "Those are huge."

I said "Yeah, they are as big as a horse."

They were so well trained I could grab bit of mane, swing on barebaack, and tap their sides with a heel and go. Use my finger behind the ear to steer left or right and my hand under the neck to put on the brakes. Good times.

They moved away last year but we have a ranch worker that took the pasture rent for a white one, a bay, and a pinto shetland here now. We are just now making friends.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista

The drop tube is something I'm learning on. Rookie on that.

I'd just scoop a case full of BP and do a compressd load with it for the .45. Wurked fer me.

Last edited:
The drop tube is something I'm learning on. Rookie on that.

I'd just scoop a case full of BP and do a compressd load with it for the .45. Wurked fer me.

For pistol ctgs. use the Lee plastic scoops and level flush with a business card. They are actually very accurate. When you compress beyond just a little you are crushing the powder grains and changing the burn rate. A 2.2cc dipper scoop is approx. 35 gr. FFg. You cannot get a full 40 gr. into a .45 Colt case as modern cases are solid head & not balloon head.

Top Bottom