What's new

The Satisfaction of Mastering One's Technique

I'm coming up on a year since I first bought my first brush, Merkur DE and creams and took up wetshaving, and as is my wont I've been reflecting on the journey; on the off chance it'd help, I thought I'd share it with all the new members appearing here of late.

I came to wetshaving from the world of electric shavers, a complete babe in the shaving woods. I had no inkling as to what muscle memory, familiarity with my beard grain, etc. meant to the quality of my shave. Back on SMF, and to a lesser extent on this board, I chronicled my trying-this-cream, trying-that-aftershave, learning-the-other-blade-angle-lesson ups and downs in some pretty lurid detail. What I've come to learn and love about this little passion of ours is that while better equipment and products can enhance and ease the process of our daily shave, truly mastering the techniques by which tools and products are used is the key to shaving nirvana.

Each phase of the shave has its points to master. ...

Prep: how hot? How long? Hot towels? Conditioner? Pre-shave oil or no oil?

Lather: what does a good lather look like, feel like, sound and smell like? How do soaps and creams differ? Hard or soft water? Which of the gallimaufry of products out there work best? For you? Is it winter, summer, spring or fall, and how does that affect your water/product balance? Small or large brush? Stiff or floppy brush? Lather on the face or in a bowl? Hot pot or no hot pot?

Bladework: what does a good stroke feel like, look like, sound like? What does a good blade angle feel like in the wrist? Do you shave one- or two-handed? What directions does your beard grain mandate for your passes? What "envelope pushing" can your skin take? How well is today's lather working with the razor? How old is the blade? Any irritation from yesterday?

Aftershave: moisturizing, alcoholic, sealing? Tiny amounts, a good coating or none at all? Apply wet or dry? Simple or layers of product? Fragrance after or au natural?

All these dozens of factors apply to the quality of shave a man gives himself in the morning. Given all these variables, it's looking unsurprising that it took months of unlearning, learning, and unlearning again (but then I'm a stubborn, mercurial cuss) to get to the point where I can for the most part use any decent single-blade razor and any decent lubricating medium to produce, consistently, a shave that's nearly impossible with either an electric shaver or a cartridge razor.

My face is healthier than ever, but I think the largest part of my personal enjoyment has to do with knowing that I managed to climb the mountain, and that I'm up on the plateau with the Rons, Riks and Joels of the world, and that any given shave can be glass-smooth and irritation-free.

'Course, knowing that I don't have to rely on any particular blade brand, cream tub or brush vendor makes it easier to relax and enjoy the complete luxury of, for example, Shavemac silvertip, Merkur HD Classic, T&H Trafalgar and B&B cologne.

For those of you struggling to get started, whether posting or lurking, this post isn't about me congratulating myself, it's a note to you: keep at it, especially if you're coming from the electric world, it takes time to build the muscle memory, to learn all the little signs your face and equipment send you, to learn which things work a little better for your overall shave than other things, to build your optimal arsenal of techniques and products.

It's worth it, guys. Keep soldiering on. :thumbup1:

-Rich

PoshRichM said:
I'm coming up on a year since I first bought my first brush, Merkur DE and creams and took up wetshaving, and as is my wont I've been reflecting on the journey; on the off chance it'd help, I thought I'd share it with all the new members appearing here of late.

I came to wetshaving from the world of electric shavers, a complete babe in the shaving woods. I had no inkling as to what muscle memory, familiarity with my beard grain, etc. meant to the quality of my shave. Back on SMF, and to a lesser extent on this board, I chronicled my trying-this-cream, trying-that-aftershave, learning-the-other-blade-angle-lesson ups and downs in some pretty lurid detail. What I've come to learn and love about this little passion of ours is that while better equipment and products can enhance and ease the process of our daily shave, truly mastering the techniques by which tools and products are used is the key to shaving nirvana.

Each phase of the shave has its points to master. ...

Prep: how hot? How long? Hot towels? Conditioner? Pre-shave oil or no oil?

Lather: what does a good lather look like, feel like, sound and smell like? How do soaps and creams differ? Hard or soft water? Which of the gallimaufry of products out there work best? For you? Is it winter, summer, spring or fall, and how does that affect your water/product balance? Small or large brush? Stiff or floppy brush? Lather on the face or in a bowl? Hot pot or no hot pot?

Bladework: what does a good stroke feel like, look like, sound like? What does a good blade angle feel like in the wrist? Do you shave one- or two-handed? What directions does your beard grain mandate for your passes? What "envelope pushing" can your skin take? How well is today's lather working with the razor? How old is the blade? Any irritation from yesterday?

Aftershave: moisturizing, alcoholic, sealing? Tiny amounts, a good coating or none at all? Apply wet or dry? Simple or layers of product? Fragrance after or au natural?

All these dozens of factors apply to the quality of shave a man gives himself in the morning. Given all these variables, it's looking unsurprising that it took months of unlearning, learning, and unlearning again (but then I'm a stubborn, mercurial cuss) to get to the point where I can for the most part use any decent single-blade razor and any decent lubricating medium to produce, consistently, a shave that's nearly impossible with either an electric shaver or a cartridge razor.

My face is healthier than ever, but I think the largest part of my personal enjoyment has to do with knowing that I managed to climb the mountain, and that I'm up on the plateau with the Rons, Riks and Joels of the world, and that any given shave can be glass-smooth and irritation-free.

'Course, knowing that I don't have to rely on any particular blade brand, cream tub or brush vendor makes it easier to relax and enjoy the complete luxury of, for example, Shavemac silvertip, Merkur HD Classic, T&H Trafalgar and B&B cologne.

For those of you struggling to get started, whether posting or lurking, this post isn't about me congratulating myself, it's a note to you: keep at it, especially if you're coming from the electric world, it takes time to build the muscle memory, to learn all the little signs your face and equipment send you, to learn which things work a little better for your overall shave than other things, to build your optimal arsenal of techniques and products.

It's worth it, guys. Keep soldiering on. :thumbup1:

-Rich

Congrats Rich!!!!
It made me smile to read your account, remebering the troubles you had.
I am glad you have mastered the craft, so to speak and that your skin is
healthy and your confidence level high.

- Gramps

Hear, hear! Well done. Just think, when high atop the mountain, you can hear the wind and it is not whistling through any whiskers.:001_smile

Gramps!! Excellent to see you, sir!

Ron, nothing like the bracing feel of mountain air on one's naked face. :thumbup1: I'm sure you remember my grousing too. :blushing:

Kyle, thanks. I just hope this helps some youngster or other new recruit.

-Rich

PoshRichM said:
Gramps!! Excellent to see you, sir!

Kyle, thanks. I just hope this helps some youngster or other new recruit.

-Rich

Heck it sure does,
I read your other posts before and you sounded like you have been wet shaving for years! I was astonished to learn that you have been doing that for only 1 year. You are a pro.

kachmar, hardly a pro, but thanks. I'm just a stubborn guy with a streak of perfectionism too wide for his own good. :blush:

This is a tricky hobby, with lots of variables to control: a lot like making your own beer or wine. Keep at it, and the product can be better than any mass-produced, idiot-proof approach. The problem with "idiot-proofing" is that it tends to "excellence-proof" as well.

That's the beauty of treating shaving like a craft--you get to wear your work around all day, and if you screw up, you get another try tomorrow!

-Rich

PoshRichM said:
That's the beauty of treating shaving like a craft--you get to wear your work around all day, and if you screw up, you get another try tomorrow!

Come to think of it, someone else probably said this first. Anyone have a clue?

-Rich

Gramps said:
Congrats Rich!!!!
It made me smile to read your account, remebering the troubles you had.
I am glad you have mastered the craft, so to speak and that your skin is
healthy and your confidence level high.

- Gramps

It's always nice to see an old friend pop in from time to time.

For the last couple of shaves I wasn't getting very decent results, so I ended up going very slow this morning and see if I could correct my technique. I'm left handed, and near-ambidextrous, and was just using my left hand to shave the left side of my face and my right hand to shave the right side of my face, without giving it much thought. This morning I ended up using my left hand everywhere and I got a much more consistent shave. I was using Taylor's Avocado and thus I was able to do quite a bit of passes; I did about 5 around my adam's apple and it was the first time that I actually got a smooth shave there since I switched to a DE. Even though I did so many passes, my face felt fine.

One question though: it seems like everybody recommends doing strokes that are about 1 inch in length with DEs. Why is that? When I'm doing a pass across the grain on my neck, I can easily do one stroke across half my neck, and often from ear to ear. It seems like when I get the correct angle going, it's easier just to keep going rather than stopping and possibly mess up the angle.

I think that this is recommended to beginners simply because they struggle with keeping the correct angle over a longer stroke length. Also, for some people this is simply a more natural/comfortable/easy way to shave. I personally prefer a longer stroke length. Ultimately, if it works for you, do it.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
One good thing about longer strokes is that it tends to minimize "overlap". When I use a lot of shorter strokes, I notice myself going over "cream-free" areas. Finding things such as pace, angles, and a comfortable stroke length are all part of mastering one's technique.

Now if I could only master my "domain".:lol:

Top Bottom