What's new

The Sandalwood Shaveoff

I meant that it's offered by T&H NA. They are the North American distributor for T&H!

I do understand that, and Managing Director is a very responsible and influential position - we'll see if it carries any trans-Atlantic sway... <grin>

I've now had the chance to try samples of some of the other scents of creams. The dryness issue that I was having seems to be a factor of only the Sandalwood cream. Must have to do with the sandalwood oil that is used. I found the Sandalwood and the 1805 to be very cologne, which I did not like. But Trafalgar and Grafton are pretty nice. Of the two, I'm currently leaning towards Trafalgar as the scent that I'll be purchasing.

I've now had the chance to try samples of some of the other scents of creams. The dryness issue that I was having seems to be a factor of only the Sandalwood cream. Must have to do with the sandalwood oil that is used. I found the Sandalwood and the 1805 to be very cologne, which I did not like. But Trafalgar and Grafton are pretty nice. Of the two, I'm currently leaning towards Trafalgar as the scent that I'll be purchasing.

I wouldn't steer you wrong. Trafalgar and their West Indies Limes are awesome scents. One of my favorite scent shaves was WIL with CC Bay Rum AS followed by the WIL balm.

I finally got mine mailed out to a B and B buddy a couple of days ago. It has been a crazy couple of weeks.

I PIFed mine to a fellow Virginia Gentleman. He said he post his impressions in this thread.

Thanks for the creams takerjohn ....
I used both for 4 shaves each, and sort of mirrored the original process. I used the TOBS first. Each shave was with an ATT S2 on a Colossus handle. I used a brand new Derby blade to start and then put in another new one after two shaves. I like the scent, but after the shave I found my face felt a little 'dry' and I needed more post shave balm to recover my skin. I face lather and it was easy and the lather was rich. Overall I liked it a lot.

I used the T&H for 4 shaves also. I prefer the scent better than the TOBS. I fully intended to use my S2 for all my shaves ... but my new R2 plate came in from Stan and I simply could not resist. I did use a new blade in the new head as well. The cream was thicker, or I used more of it - either way - I needed more water. I felt my skin was 'slicker' after the shave and therefore more comfortable. I didn't care for the packaging ... I think I read that in this thread - a metal tube - or a tub - would be better for me.

All things being equal, I liked the T&H more .... but not too much more ... on a scale of 10 - if T&H was a 9 then TOBS was an 8 ... I really liked them both. But in picking one, I will pick T&H.

Thanks for the creams takerjohn ....
I used both for 4 shaves each, and sort of mirrored the original process. I used the TOBS first. Each shave was with an ATT S2 on a Colossus handle. I used a brand new Derby blade to start and then put in another new one after two shaves. I like the scent, but after the shave I found my face felt a little 'dry' and I needed more post shave balm to recover my skin. I face lather and it was easy and the lather was rich. Overall I liked it a lot.

I used the T&H for 4 shaves also. I prefer the scent better than the TOBS. I fully intended to use my S2 for all my shaves ... but my new R2 plate came in from Stan and I simply could not resist. I did use a new blade in the new head as well. The cream was thicker, or I used more of it - either way - I needed more water. I felt my skin was 'slicker' after the shave and therefore more comfortable. I didn't care for the packaging ... I think I read that in this thread - a metal tube - or a tub - would be better for me.

All things being equal, I liked the T&H more .... but not too much more ... on a scale of 10 - if T&H was a 9 then TOBS was an 8 ... I really liked them both. But in picking one, I will pick T&H.
Great review, eagle! And kudos to [MENTION=90101]tankerjohn[/MENTION] !!!

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
You're welcome Charlie! Great review. Glad you liked the creams. I agree with you on T&H packaging; I prefer metal tubes as well, ala Proraso and Musgo Real. However, I do believe that T&H does package in tubs as well as tubes; it just so happened that they sent tubes for the shaveoff.

I do understand that, and Managing Director is a very responsible and influential position - we'll see if it carries any trans-Atlantic sway... <grin>

I am happy to report that T&H honored the 15% + sample pack in their store on St. James St. here in London today, and D.R. Harris matched on my purchase as well, even though they weren't part of the shave-off! I have 3 tubs of TOBS at home so I didn't bother to try there, and my Geo. F. Trumper purchase (2 travel tubes of cream) seemed to small to ask for a discount.

FWIW, also scored a 1945 RFB NEW at the Jubilee Antiques Market for gbp20 this morning - it was a good day!

I am happy to report that T&H honored the 15% + sample pack in their store on St. James St. here in London today, and D.R. Harris matched on my purchase as well, even though they weren't part of the shave-off! I have 3 tubs of TOBS at home so I didn't bother to try there, and my Geo. F. Trumper purchase (2 travel tubes of cream) seemed to small to ask for a discount.

FWIW, also scored a 1945 RFB NEW at the Jubilee Antiques Market for gbp20 this morning - it was a good day!
Pictures!?!?!? ;)

Pictures!?!?!? ;)

I avoid trying to upload pix while trapped on hotel wifi networks <LOL> When I return in a week.

BTW, ALL of the shaving houses are incredibly familiar with, and complimentary of, Badger & Blade! It was amazing how much more attentive already friendly staff became when I brought it up!

My review of T&H Sandalwood 8.5/10

I used this cream two times already and they were great shaves. First the scent to me was very strong as compared to the TOBS Sandalwood. In the T&H the scent was very strong to the point that when I was lathering in the bowl and even after I finished shaving I could smell the scent on my face. It smelled very nice. The lathering of the cream was a lot better than the TOBS as well. I had much more lather and it felt a lot thicker too. I also used two different types of brushes. I used a whipped dog synthetic and a B&B Essential boar. Both times I got great lather. I did two passes on each with some clean up. To me the T&H had a much better more pleasant smell than the TOBS. I also did not see a lot of change in the lather getting thinner with each pass.

TOBS Sandalwood 7/10

I have used this shaving cream 3 times already and I have not been super impressed with it. I used two badger brushes and one boar. I got a better lather with the boar brush. I could smell the scent of the cream from the container but once I started lathering it in a bowl it didn't really smell anymore.

When I lathered the cream the first two times, I got a thin coat of cream and the shaves went well. On the last shave I used a boar brush and I really worked the cream lather for like 5-6 minutes. I did get a thicker lather but I did add a bit more cream this time as well. After the first pass I noticed the cream was getting thinner in the bowl. I couldn't believe it. The second pass I noticed the lather was thinner but still useful. I got a pretty good shave anyway.

Top Bottom