What's new

The Sandalwood Shaveoff

My final assessment.
I enjoyed both cream, and so far many users have written about that. I've been very happy with the performance of both shaving creams. I was able to face-lather them very well, and very consistently. No complaints about performance for me. I only wish my sniffer could pick up the T&H scent, but alas that seems to be a "me" issue, not a T&H issue, based on the reviews I've been reading on this thread.

Q1: You're the Minister of Creams, and have the final say for any Cream that is branded in Britain. Which single quality, of each cream, would you change to make the product better? Scent, glide/slickness, cushion, post shave feel, etc. Feel free to comment on each aspect of each Cream, but remember that you can only change one of the aspects.

TOBS: a bit more woodier notes, for me. The floral notes were pleasant, but a surprise to me. But I think that is because "woodier" is my experience with sandalwood scents. I was at first unsure of this cream's scent, but it will definitely be part of my Sunday rotation for Sandalwood Sundays.
T&H: a more pronounced scent. However, it looks like this was a personal issue, as most gents here picked it up with no problem

Q2: If you haven't, would you buy/try a different scent from either Brand? If you have tried a different scent, which is it and how does it rate to the Sandalwood version?

I have not tried other scents of either brand, but was lucky enough to get some through auctions 012 and 179. I cannot wait to try them.

Overall, this was a great experience for me, and I am very grateful that [MENTION=79047]fordfather[/MENTION] organized this for me/us.

I'm extremely pleased to see everyone's reviews. Thanks to everyone for sticking this out. Linda at T&H has been reading along, and sent me a nice E-mail this morning. The following is an excerpt from it.

"I have just re-read the whole thread thoroughly in order to get as much feedback as I can.

Interesting the scent for some did not come through as a Sandalwood they would have expected.

I have emailed London to confirm if they have experienced any feedback in the scent between the tub and tube.

I was surprised to hear of some stinging from the balm samples as well, which I will also inquire with London.

Good feedback for me to follow up on.

Quite a few shavers were interested in trying other scents.

As a token of my appreciation for them taking the time to give feedback and express their experiences I am happy to offer a discount code of bandb15 on any orders through December 2015.

When we see the code come through we will add a complimentary sample shaving cream kit to give them the opportunity to try the other scents without committing, noting 1805 is our most popular scent, followed by the Ultimate Comfort (unscented, although there is a very slight undertone of Lavender for anyone who experienced any irritation whatsoever – this line has certainly been very successful for allergic/sensitive skin types).

We do have complimentary shipping over $80.00.

Details of the scents can be viewed online at www.truefittandhill.com"

I'd like to again thank TOBS and T&H for providing the samples, and you Gentlemen for shaving along. It's been an enlightening experience. One which I hope to repeat in the Spring!

I was out of town so I haven't been able to post up my thoughts. Here goes. First off, thanks to both companies and Fordfather for organizing, facilitating and supporting this shave off. Thoughts: Both creams come from well-respected companies who have been in the game of providing quality shaving products for a long time. I think both creams performed well overall. Both smelled good in different ways, were very easy to lather and provided good performance in the shave department. TOBS had the edge in slickness for me but was harder to wash off while T&H had the edge in scent and cushion. I do think that these creams perform better for a DE than a straight/shavette. I know that I have gravitated to soaps since switching to shavette razors. Those razors like different qualities in lather than DEs or carts. The ASB UST wasn't for me. My skin was irritated by something in it. I like both cream and will purchase products from both companies in the future. I have no problem recommending either cream.

I'm extremely pleased to see everyone's reviews. Thanks to everyone for sticking this out. Linda at T&H has been reading along, and sent me a nice E-mail this morning. The following is an excerpt from it.

"I have just re-read the whole thread thoroughly in order to get as much feedback as I can.

Interesting the scent for some did not come through as a Sandalwood they would have expected.

I have emailed London to confirm if they have experienced any feedback in the scent between the tub and tube.

I was surprised to hear of some stinging from the balm samples as well, which I will also inquire with London.

As a token of my appreciation for them taking the time to give feedback and express their experiences I am happy to offer a discount code of bandb15 on any orders through December 2015.

When we see the code come through we will add a complimentary sample shaving cream kit to give them the opportunity to try the other scents without committing, noting 1805 is our most popular scent, followed by the Ultimate Comfort (unscented, although there is a very slight undertone of Lavender for anyone who experienced any irritation whatsoever – this line has certainly been very successful for allergic/sensitive skin types).

I'd like to again thank TOBS and T&H for providing the samples, and you Gentlemen for shaving along. It's been an enlightening experience. One which I hope to repeat in the Spring!

nice!

So if we order from that site, will it ship from london or here in the US?
That's a very generous offer!!!
:)

North American orders are fulfilled by their warehouse in Ontario.

Ok cool.
So any order we make and use that code, we get a shave cream sampler pack. I couldn't find the sample pack on the site to know which one it is. They have many, but none that I saw that were just cream samplers.

Ok cool.
So any order we make and use that code, we get a shave cream sampler pack. I couldn't find the sample pack on the site to know which one it is. They have many, but none that I saw that were just cream samplers.
Linda is putting together a special sampler set for this offer. I'd guess that it's a $15 bonus!

This just in from Paul at TOBS!

"Dear Dane,

Thank you to all the participants of what has been a successful Sandalwood Shave off!.

We were delighted to read such.excellent reviews from a respected group of experts/enthusiasts and will be taking all comments on board..

I particularly liked the poem and it is clear that I now need to brush up on my shaving acronyms!

Thanks again to all involved!

Kindest regards,

Paul Chessell
General Manager
Taylor of Old Bond Street
74 Jermyn Street,.
St James's, London.
SW1Y 6NP, England "

Linda is putting together a special sampler set for this offer. I'd guess that it's a $15 bonus!

Cool!!!
Now I just need to spend 80 lol for free shipping.
If I could only have the sampler, then I'd know what to spend 80 on lol j/k
Very kind offer on their part :)

This just in from Paul at TOBS!

"Dear Dane,

Thank you to all the participants of what has been a successful Sandalwood Shave off!.

We were delighted to read such.excellent reviews from a respected group of experts/enthusiasts and will be taking all comments on board..

I particularly liked the poem and it is clear that I now need to brush up on my shaving acronyms!

Thanks again to all involved!

Kindest regards,

Paul Chessell
General Manager
Taylor of Old Bond Street
74 Jermyn Street,.
St James's, London.
SW1Y 6NP, England "

Awesome!!! Always great to know they read and took into account our reviews. :)
Both great companies and will definitly be making purchases in the furute of their products.... I've read some good things about TOBS grapefruit. ... hmmm....

Linda's offer is live, thru December. It's a 15% discount with the free sampler kicker! T&H doesn't offer 15% often, so get in on it! This offer is open to anyone that is reading this thread. :)

Its a vicious circle. I need a sampler to know what scents I like.... but I need to buy some scents to get a sampler. This is going to be tricky!

Top Bottom