What's new

the Rocnel Sailor thread

CAB19860-21EF-4FE0-8B79-D355265D0BFA.jpeg

Ran with Gillette Platinum New at IV for WTG and XTG. Dropped to II for ATG & touch up

Very close and comfortable 😎

If I was looking to buy another Sailor I would be very selective about which model I bought. I think the standard model is completely justified at $550. That’s the one to get. It was significantly cheaper in June, though, as for the same price it included a hefty stand then and doesn’t now.

The Master Collection price is nonsense at $800 - it is identical to the standard model except it is numbered - and even the original price of $690 in May was ridiculous when you could buy the same razor without a number for $550. Murat’s idea currently for the Master Collection is that it is really the same razor but the additional price is due to it being built by his ‘master’ craftsman. Personally I would attach zero additional value for that - I see no evidence that it is better in any way, or that his standard razors are made by blindfolded chimpanzees with hand tools and no training. I have not heard of any defects or imperfections in the standard model.

The $900 polished version is at least giving you something more special for similar money to a Wolfman (but only do it if you really see enough value in the high polish to pay $900 for a razor that already has a very nice finish if you pay $550 for it). The polish (actually very fine lapping) looks fantastic to me.

I received one of these hefty stands with my 2021 Sailor MC.
It's still brand new, lying packed in its original bag...never removed or used.
Wouldn't mind letting mine go, as I'm never selling my 2021 MC.
If anyone needs a brand new, unused Sailor stand, I'll be happy to discuss a sale via

@Mr. Shavington … So I love the sensibility of the $550 Bullgoose version.. but hate the no stand🤦🏻‍♂️ I have one razor on my list of “to gets” and it’s a Rocnel Sailor.. but we’re in December. You pay $550 for a 2022 and then (assume May) the 2023 model drops😳 And I would want the stand (personal pref)… @Fiddler mentions a possible sale of his stand, (not sure how to PM on this site🤷🏼‍♂️).. but I would assume that puts me back up to MC level spend🥺. So the dilemma is real😭 I do think for me it will be a RAD killer, and while I was bitten, the itch has diminished significantly. I chose to obtain, Timeless Ti, Konsul, (already own the Ambassador), the Tatara Muramasa, and the one that remains is the Rocnel sailor. Of course I have a Fatboy and a slim and a few others.. but I think that will do it for me. Sadly I only have one face, (well I do headshave so it’s justified😜)… the question. 2022 at this juncture or impatiently wait for the 2023?

@Mr. Shavington … So I love the sensibility of the $550 Bullgoose version.. but hate the no stand🤦🏻‍♂️ I have one razor on my list of “to gets” and it’s a Rocnel Sailor.. but we’re in December. You pay $550 for a 2022 and then (assume May) the 2023 model drops😳 And I would want the stand (personal pref)… @Fiddler mentions a possible sale of his stand, (not sure how to PM on this site🤷🏼‍♂️).. but I would assume that puts me back up to MC level spend🥺. So the dilemma is real😭 I do think for me it will be a RAD killer, and while I was bitten, the itch has diminished significantly. I chose to obtain, Timeless Ti, Konsul, (already own the Ambassador), the Tatara Muramasa, and the one that remains is the Rocnel sailor. Of course I have a Fatboy and a slim and a few others.. but I think that will do it for me. Sadly I only have one face, (well I do headshave so it’s justified😜)… the question. 2022 at this juncture or impatiently wait for the 2023?
Rocnel's webpage still shows the 2022 L standard "in stock ". Stand is included.
The pictures look like they still offer the "older" model of the head. It might be the final offering for those who seek to get a new Sailor with of the older shaped head.

Frankly, the new head shape doesn't appeal to me, visually. YMMV, for sure.

Fiddler has offered his stand on BST. The offering has been closed in the meantime...

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Rocnel's webpage still shows the 2022 L standard "in stock ". Stand is included.
The pictures look like they still offer the "older" model of the head. It might be the final offering for those who seek to get a new Sailor with of the older shaped head.

Frankly, the new head shape doesn't appeal to me, visually. YMMV, for sure.

Fiddler has offered his stand on BST. The offering has been closed in the meantime...

Good advice in my view.

I'm very happy with and know only about my 2021 Master Collection Sailor.

2-10-22.Rocnel.Sailor.MasterCollection.2021.640.JPG

When I bought mine the process was more difficult, more involved, and lengthy, but worth it.

I definitely wanted a gold ring and a stand (before the Master Collection was a thing). I was a bit unsure about the handle's length and diameter, but took a little chance; it turned out the handle was perfect for me. Looking back I would have been just as satisfied with and would perhaps have preferred either a solid gold ring or a brass ring.

A solid gold ring would have put the razor out of my price range. I'm not allowed by my agreement with my wife to spend that much without conversation with her; I'm not having that sort of conversation with her! A brass ring would have lowered the price by a significant amount.

That said, I've very satisfied with the razor. In all respects it is a great razor for me as I've previously mentioned.

Whether other Sailors are as great as mine is beyond me.

As expensive as this razor was, it's saved me money. Other than non-DE razors and slants I don't seem very interested in buying razors anymore. Yes, there are a few I am sometimes tempted by, and, yes, I might buy more, but, for the most part I'm not that interested in shiny DE razors which promise a great shave. Some may be a better deal than the Sailor but it's unlikely they'll shave better than the Sailor.

11-29-22.Sailor.CanadaSS.Mozingo.640.JPG

To me, the stand is very important part of the package.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Ok fellow shavers. I’m happy to say that I have a 2022 Rocnel standard version (bottom of handle in photo above) on its way to my shave den😜 I think the advice of not getting emotionally fixated on the MC version was great advice. I prefer the flat cap over the round IMO… and while it’s the 2022 Standard, I’m happy with the choice. I purchased used for an all in total $455.99… and I can live with that. I will figure out the base as this one doesn’t come with one. I have an extra Rex spindle base that I am hoping works on this Handle… We will see🤷🏼‍♂️ if not it won’t be the end of the world, I could always hang it from the ceiling on a string 🤣

Ok fellow shavers. I’m happy to say that I have a 2022 Rocnel standard version (bottom of handle in photo above) on its way to my shave den😜 I think the advice of not getting emotionally fixated on the MC version was great advice. I prefer the flat cap over the round IMO… and while it’s the 2022 Standard, I’m happy with the choice. I purchased used for an all in total $455.99… and I can live with that. I will figure out the base as this one doesn’t come with one. I have an extra Rex spindle base that I am hoping works on this Handle… We will see🤷🏼‍♂️ if not it won’t be the end of the world, I could always hang it from the ceiling on a string 🤣
I think you made a wise choice. The standard models are the same as the Master Collection versions, except for a number and a minor cosmetic detail or two. The price is good too, when you consider how many less accomplished razors sell for that much or more. When you hold the Sailor you can see why it costs what it does.

I hope you enjoy your new Sailor for many years. There is no razor like it, that’s for sure.

Top Bottom