What's new

the Rocnel Sailor thread

Thanks mate, appreciate it.

So, in a nutshell, the Sailor is an "it's okay" sort of razor for you? šŸ˜œ

Just kidding. Reviews like yours make me consider this producer. However, I haven't made my mind to date. Perhaps I'm not one of this "jump through hoops" kind of customer in this price range.

Indeed, having to spend way more money for literally almost the same product is a bummer. I'd be done with pre-orders like this, just like you stated. But at least the razor you got seems to please you all over the place. Thatā€™s what finally counts. šŸ˜€

Again, thank you for taking the time to build some confidence on Rocnel.

Most likely, once I'll have made my mind and pushed myself jumping through the loop Rocnel will be sold out... LOL.

Happy shaves!
Glad it made sense and you picked up my meaning.

Itā€™s fine if all the Sailors are sold out. You are only ever six months away from a new, upgraded version being released. Itā€™s like iPhones - they are all superb, and you should never regret not having the latest, but if you miss one there is always a slightly better one coming soon. When you do finally buy one it will be better in some way than everyone elseā€™s, and you will be pleased you waited - for the next six months, anyway.

Of course if you arenā€™t aware of the constant development of this razor then it can be another source of disappointment when you spent $500 for one and suddenly there is a newer, slightly better version for the same price. But it will always be the case, it seems, and in reality they all shave equally well. It must say something about the Sailor project that after five years of producing an exceptional razor, Murat is still passionate and constantly working on improving it. This also means that every Sailor is a new model in some ways, and there can always be some very minor teething issue that will be resolved in the next batch, with completely new teething issues added.

With the last bunch people got pissy that the Sailor logo wasnā€™t precisely centred on the handle - Murat said it wasnā€™t something he was focused on, and then you got all the complaints that for a $500 razor he should focus on these things. No doubt he will change it for the next model, and there will be something else because of other changes he has made. The previous version had a specially engraved button in the handle which fell out for a couple of owners (and Murat told them how they should glue it back in) - you can imagine the uproar. My point is that it is still always a better razor than the last one, and that was better than the one before. You have to go into it because youā€™re getting the improved version of the best razor in the world, and not sweat over trivial things.

Anyway, when people talk about quality issues, they mean stuff like that. You can get worked up about it if you want, or you can chill about it. There arenā€™t any real quality issues. Itā€™s just part of what the deal is with Sailors. There are always reasons why some buyers will complain, but they are losing sight of the fact that it is better than all their other razors.
Ā 
With the last bunch people got pissy that the Sailor logo wasnā€™t precisely centred on the handle - Murat said it wasnā€™t something he was focused on, and then you got all the complaints that for a $500 razor he should focus on these things. No doubt he will change it for the next model, and there will be something else because of other changes he has made. The previous version had a specially engraved button in the handle which fell out for a couple of owners (and Murat told them how they should glue it back in) - you can imagine the uproar. My point is that it is still always a better razor than the last one, and that was better than the one before. You have to go into it because youā€™re getting the improved version of the best razor in the world, and not sweat over trivial things.

Its perspective of course...some people earn $500 in an hour...and those dudes dont sweat
over trivial things.

The 2021 MC had an issue where the butt plug fell out on some....apparently Loctite 480 was
the solution.

It's a slightly embarrassing situation. I've been lucky in that mine works fine with no issues.

I do live in dread for the day when Im shaking some water off the body and something
goes flying off....and Murat will probably be like oh, that happens.
Ā 
Well mine arrived and I am blown away with its appearance! Absolutely stunning razor. Also my first shave setting 3 was perfect. I had not 1 issue.
20220810_183501.jpg
Ā 

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
8-11-22.Sailor.CanadaSS.SV.Cocobolo.640JPG.JPG

Today's Sailor settings were less than #1 (~7/8), and #5, and the Zero Dot.

Worked a treat.

I've found that beginning on a lower setting, then going up to get most of the remainder, and finishing on the lowest gap setting for ATG S-N on my upper lip, and for buffing the soul patch does the trick for me.

Happy shaves to you,

Jim
Ā 

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I have read that here many times over. Enough so it has peaked my own interest. As I've mentioned in several threads, I'm going to buy a modern DE razor sometime early next year. It's already budgeted.... I am narrowing down the choices now..... the Sailor is still on that list. The price doesn't concern me as much as thicker head design. But people who have them say it isn't an issue. I've only shaved with thinner head razors at this point. Having such a limited paradigm is probably the most difficult thing about being a newbie.

It would different if I wanted to experiment with a bunch of razors. I really want to buy one and be done, if that is even remotely possible. I've managed to do that with two Vintage razors. With modern razors, there are so many and different people swear by this one or that. I guess if I had two and was content, that would also be OK.

See, I've already compromised my given goal. <eg> ;)

Edit: I meant to quote the two latest ^ posts but forgot to add them.
Ā 
I have read that here many times over. Enough so it has peaked my own interest. As I've mentioned in several threads, I'm going to buy a modern DE razor sometime early next year. It's already budgeted.... I am narrowing down the choices now..... the Sailor is still on that list. The price doesn't concern me as much as thicker head design. But people who have them say it isn't an issue. I've only shaved with thinner head razors at this point. Having such a limited paradigm is probably the most difficult thing about being a newbie.

It would different if I wanted to experiment with a bunch of razors. I really want to buy one and be done, if that is even remotely possible. I've managed to do that with two Vintage razors. With modern razors, there are so many and different people swear by this one or that. I guess if I had two and was content, that would also be OK.

Make sure you are subscribed to Bull Goose's email so you get the notification in a couple months. ;)
(Good luck making up your mind, but I have a feeling the sudden availability will make it for you!)
Ā 

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Make sure you are subscribed to Bull Goose's email so you get the notification in a couple months. ;)
(Good luck making up your mind, but I have a feeling the sudden availability will make it for you!)
Even if the Sailors were available at Bull Goose, I'd still hold off until early next year. I need more DE shaving under my belt before I can make even a semblance of informed decision. I'll use the British Flat Bottom Tech and the British NEW Raised Flat Bottom when it arrives until the end of the year.

If the Sailor ends up being "the one" and the 2022's are all sold out, I'll just wait until the new improved 2023 model. ;) In the meantime, I could just buy a RR Lupo OC with two base plates..... wait it out until the 2023 Sailor is available.. or there is the Blutt 1.2... the problem with the Blutt is... an extra, more mild base plate costs more than the whole RR razor. ;)
Ā 
If the Sailor ends up being "the one" and the 2022's are all sold out, I'll just wait until the new improved 2023 model. ;) In the meantime, I could just buy a RR Lupo OC with two base plates..... wait it out until the 2023 Sailor is available
I can endorse this plan! That is more what I was thinking, but the availability of Sailors are kind of sporadic. I think there will be a Spring release, but you might have to buy it direct. The Lupo(s) should give you a good base line, I have come close to getting them several times. I think that's the secret to interpreting other people's reviews, having a well know razor.

Checked my email archive, the '21 Sailor was available 07/01 last year. That gives you 10 months.
Ā 
Last edited:
The price doesn't concern me as much as thicker head design. But people who have them say it isn't an issue. I've only shaved with thinner head razors at this point.

It does feel different at first...you get used to it and manoeuvre the razor differently under the nose.
Not a deal breaker at all. Theres some chatter that he might do a sailor that has mixed SS and Ti parts
to bring down the weight.
Ā 
Now I had a few shaves with the Sailor and I needed a little bit of practicing. Now it is giving me BBS without any irritation. And as mentionend before it is a true piece of art. So now that I mastered the novice mode it is time to ask the real important questions.

Which wristwatch to wear while shaving? Will a Rolex fit in or do you need a Sinn U1? šŸ˜‰
Ā 
Now I had a few shaves with the Sailor and I needed a little bit of practicing. Now it is giving me BBS without any irritation. And as mentionend before it is a true piece of art. So now that I mastered the novice mode it is time to ask the real important questions.

Which wristwatch to wear while shaving? Will a Rolex fit in or do you need a Sinn U1? šŸ˜‰

Duhhh...a Panerai, of course.
Ā 

Phoenixkh,

I too, attempted the ā€œone-and-doneā€ with Modern razors. I was able to stop before I hit 20 modern razors, when I discovered VISA actually expects timely payments.

With (5) Timeless-es, (3) Blackbirds, a Rex Ambassador, and a 2021 Rocnel Sailor still in my possession after the VISA Repo Team kicked in my front door, I can comfortably state the following:

1) For my ugly mug, the SS Blackbird and the Rocnel Sailor have a very similar heads and shave angles.

2) They are the best shavers in my den. (Well, they were in my old den).

3) It took some experimenting with blades and angles to find the ā€œsweet spotā€, but once I found it, there was no comparison to any of my other razors.

Back to my earlier comment to you on a different thread: ā€œHold on to your Evoā€. Tightly. Itā€™s the only thing keeping you from sliding down the rabbit hole into the modern razor rabbit warren which ultimately leads to bankruptcy and living in a tent under an overpass or in a public park. Iā€™ve yet to see an overpass or public park with a shave den. My overpass doesnā€™t have one and duct ā€œduckā€ tape is not as waterproof as they advertise. Ask me how I know.

Curly Out of Money
Ā 
Top Bottom