What's new

the Rocnel Sailor thread

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Tell me about that awesome brush handle.

6-2-22.SV-HMW.2 brushes.onebrandnew.640.JPG

These are brushes made and sold by Saponificio Varesino. Both have I think resin handles. One is Faux Tortoise Shell. The other, Faux Horn.

Saponificio Varesino also makes a Faux Ivory and several wooden handles.

SV.Handlel.Hole.Knot.Side:Top.640.jpeg

There's a current thread discussing SV brushes, knots, and handles. In my opinion the brushes are Top Drawer in all respects. They are larger than the nominal size of 26 mm would indicate, a good bit larger.

The pewter crown is an integral part of the handle.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
According to Rocnel’s website they make 3 razors per week - so about 150 per year - and that would include other models like the SE50 single edge that he has just produced a new batch of. Maybe production is a bit more now and the website information isn’t current. I would guess there are maybe 500-600 Sailors in existence, for all versions combined (we are on version 8 of the Sailor now and the first one was released February 2018 so this is the 5th year of production). The reputation is based on word of mouth on forums like this.

For the 2021 Master Collection version it was confirmed there were 50 numbered razors made. I saw a fair few members with these on the forums I am on - about 10 or so of the 2021s, I’d guess. So for that one I would be confident English language shaving forum members bought a quarter of the production, or maybe more. There are surely other owners who frequent only non-English language shaving forums.

Based on these estimates I would suppose English language shaving forum members own maybe 150 Sailors altogether. Some members own multiple versions, so let’s say we have 100 forumites at most who own a Sailor. Plus some more would have owned and passed along Sailors too.

That’s my best guess on some of the numbers, but I have no real idea, of course.
Yeah.... guesswork, but within a specific framework. Pretty significant market segment.

Looking to get a a yard 2022 Sailor. What’s the best place in the US to grab one?
As far as I know, and I have looked, you have to get it direct from Turkey if you want it right now. If you can wait until fall, the US distributor should have them then. The fact that they now come with a stand, and some other improvements on the standard model, is enough to push me into the "trying to find the money" camp from "there is no way this price is justified" in the last year.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Just received my Sailor 2022 L. A very nice razor indeed. View attachment 1500513View attachment 1500514

Congratulations!

It looks very nice. I'll be interested in how you like its shaves.

I've used probably every available setting - on my 2021 RSMC - from the Zero Dot on up to 720º and over. None have been terribly harsh or anywhere near as dangerous as one might suspect. The Zero Dot is a wonderful low end setting which adds tremendous value to the razor in my view of it.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I shaved on III and it was an efficient yet mild shave. Good balance, nice weight. Was it the best shave I ever had with a new razor? No. It was in the top ranks. But that is not the point. This razor is a piece of art. Like a good watch that fits your wrist like a hand in a glove. My mechanical watches are by far not the most accurate, would I wear a cheap quartz watch because of this? Hell No.

The same with Rocnel.

Basically, what's the advantage of the expensive 2022 variant over the 2022 standart one, despite looks? Both come with a stand included, don't they?

Would anyone who owns one of new 2022 models pls share the specs of the razor with me:
> Overall lenght of the razor (head included)
> handle only
> diameter of the handle.

Pls note which model you measured, thanks.

Unfortunately I wasn’t able to find these details on there webpage. 🤷‍♂️

Asking for a friend 😉
Thx.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Basically, what's the advantage of the expensive 2022 variant over the 2022 standart one, despite looks? Both come with a stand included, don't they?

Would anyone who owns one of new 2022 models pls share the specs of the razor with me:
> Overall lenght of the razor (head included)
> handle only
> diameter of the handle.

Pls note which model you measured, thanks.

Unfortunately I wasn’t able to find these details on there webpage. 🤷‍♂️

Asking for a friend 😉
Thx.

It's likely you could get exact answers by asking online the Rocnel fellow in Turkey. He always responded to my questions when I was a prospective buyer.

I believe the Master Collection is not mass produced. I've heard they're individually made by the master himself.

In addition, I've been told the RSMC has a gold band (not solid gold) whereas the far less expensive standard model's band is brass.

I have the 2021 RSMC but would buy the standard edition were I buying today. Part of that decision would be based on the fact that now both come with a stand which to me was vital when I made my decision.

I believe the dimensions are the same. Like mine, very fat handle, heavy.

Somebody who has the 2022-L and/or 2022 RSMC will hopefully give you much better answers or you could ask the vendor.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I shaved on III and it was an efficient yet mild shave. Good balance, nice weight. Was it the best shave I ever had with a new razor? No. It was in the top ranks. But that is not the point. This razor is a piece of art. Like a good watch that fits your wrist like a hand in a glove. My mechanical watches are by far not the most accurate, would I wear a cheap quartz watch because of this? Hell No.

The same with Rocnel.

I'm with you on the watches, but the Sailor is is an excellent razor compared to most anything one can mention. I'd say it keeps very very good time.

I've used most if not all of the settings throughout a shave or two, as in one setting per shave.

What works better for me, by far, is to use several different settings during one single shave.
  • I begin on a relatively low setting such as close to but lower than 1 (maybe 7/8) for a complete pass. Sometimes this low setting might be 2 or the Zero Dot.
  • Then, I move to a higher setting, maybe 5 or 10, for S-N on my neck, and for WTG on my upper lip and my chin.
  • Finally, I go to the Zero Dot (the lowest setting) for the final work which is S-N on my upper lip, and for puffed buffing of my soul patch area.
I've somewhat simplified the work I actually do, but the point is I use multiple settings during the same shave which takes great advantage of the adjustable's capacities as they relate to both my challenging areas, and to areas where my whiskers are easy to smooth.

It's easier to do than to describe.

There are many ways to use an adjustable as good as the Sailor. I am not saying my way is the best or only way for anybody other than me.

Happy shaves,

Jim

It's likely you could get exact answers by asking online the Rocnel fellow in Turkey. He always responded to my questions when I was a prospective buyer.

I believe the Master Collection is not mass produced. I've heard they're individually made by the master himself.

In addition, I've been told the RSMC has a gold band (not solid gold) whereas the far less expensive standard model's band is brass.

I have the 2021 RSMC but would buy the standard edition were I buying today. Part of that decision would be based on the fact that now both come with a stand which to me was vital when I made my decision.

I believe the dimensions are the same. Like mine, very fat handle, heavy.

Somebody who has the 2022-L and/or 2022 RSMC will hopefully give you much better answers or you could ask the vendor.

Happy shaves,

Jim
Thank you, Jim, for sharing the information on the differences. If I was to order one of these precious models I'd be likely in the cheapskate camp...Well, cheap in terms off, LOL.
Hence I do like brass better than gold.

But I'd need more details on the handle specs first.

Therefore I'd appreciate the input of the 2022 L owners... (any variant).

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
Thank you, Jim, for sharing the information on the differences. If I was to order one of these precious models I'd be likely in the cheapskate camp...Well, cheap in terms off, LOL.
I like brass better than gold.

But I'd need more details on handle first.

Therefore I'd appreciate the input of the 2022 L owners... (any variant).
The 2022 Sailor has an 80mm handle. The 2021 was 75mm.

My first shave with a Rocnel Sailor wasn’t perfect either. Second shave was extraordinary. I think the main thing I had to learn was to ensure I used a light touch, since the razor is heavy. The other was that level 4 with a fresh Kai blade was probably a bit much for all three passes (that’s what I did). Instead I started using level 4 for the first pass, then dialled it down one level for each subsequent pass. That still works really well for me, though as Jim said, some prefer to start low and dial it up each pass.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
My first shave with a Rocnel Sailor wasn’t perfect either. Second shave was extraordinary. I think the main thing I had to learn was to ensure I used a light touch, since the razor is heavy. The other was that level 4 with a fresh Kai blade was probably a bit much for all three passes (that’s what I did). Instead I started using level 4 for the first pass, then dialled it down one level for each subsequent pass. That still works really well for me, though as Jim said, some prefer to start low and dial it up each pass.

Glad to hear the second shave was hugely improved over the first.

I start low, go up, and then go way down to the most closed Zero Dot position.

There is a learning curve but it's fun to climb and not dangerous.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Top Bottom