What's new

The ROCKWELL 6s Razor Tour Pass-Around.....

Well I got my first shave in with the 6S. Before I go into it, I should give you a few details about my routine.
I have a VERY hard time getting a BBS. In order to get a BBS, I've found that I need to have a pretty aggressive razor. I have three Super Speeds(including a red tip), a EJ89, a razor from Maggard(can't remember the model), and a Ming Shi 2000. I have never been able to get a BBS from any Super Speed or the EJ89. I can get BBS from the Ming Shi and the Maggard, but it's not an every day event. Typically I shave every other day. I seem to get a closer shave with two day stubble vs. 1, not sure why. I will usually grab something less aggressive for the first pass to knock the whiskers down a bit(razor gets a bit grabby if I start too aggressive). After the first pass, then I go aggressive, either turn the Ming Shi up to 6, or grab the Maggard. I even go past the dead stop on the Ming sometimes and get it even more aggressive, like maybe an 8. I'm always a bit envious(and skeptical) when I read posts from people who say they get a BBS everyday, using the mildest of razors, and they get it on the first pass going with the grain. And they can even sometimes manage a BBS if they forget to put a blade in the razor(ok, maybe not quite that far, but you know what I mean). The BBS is elusive for me.

So onto the 6S. I decided to use my similar routine using the 6S(less aggressive on first pass, then crank it up). I loaded up a new Kai blade and started with the #4 plate(based on what I've read in past reviews) I took a nice soak in the tub and did the old hot wash cloth soak on my stubble to soften them up. I lathered on some Stirling soap, and put the hefty razor to my face going with the grain. This baby glides like butter. First pass was extremely comfortable and the #4 took off much more stubble than I'm used to with any of my other first pass razors(red tip, EJ89, or the Ming on #4). So far, I like!
Onto second pass. I re-lather, and switch over to plate #6, and start in going against the grain. This razor really inspires confidence. When using the Ming on 6, or the Maggard, I have to be really careful. Paying close attention to technique, otherwise I end up with a face full of weepers. But the 6S just glides, happily taking down those pesky whiskers, with minimal irritation. After 2nd pass, I take a feel, and things are feeling pretty good. Re-lather and go for round three. Same thing, I forgot all about being careful and just went to town. Mowing over my trouble spots multiple time trying to get the BBS. I finish and feel. What is that? Could it be..... A BBS??? I think it might be! I do a cold water rinse and feel, and feel again. There were a couple little patches that I could feel just a hint of something, but I don't care. The BBS is so rare for me, I'm going to call it! And I do believe this may have been my best shave ever! One tiny little weeper, but other than that, minimal irritation.

I woke up the next morning, and gave it another feel, still BBS in most places 8 hours later!
I think I could get used to this!

Shave 2 -- I replicated what I did with my first shave to see if I'd get similar results(same soap, same blade, same bathtub, first pass with plate #4, then switched to #6). Very similar results. Not quite as close in my trouble spots, but I'd say BBS on 90% of my face, DFS on the rest. I have a patch under my left jawline, and one spot on my neck where the grain goes in every direction that I have a really difficult time getting BBS.

But again, super close shave, very comfortable, one tiny little weeper.

What puzzles me about this razor is that just by looking at the geometry with plate #6 installed, it doesn't look like an aggressive razor. Nothing as mean looking as the Ming Shi on setting 6. And it doesn't feel like an aggressive razor when shaving. But it gets closer with less irritation than my aggressive razors. Hmmmmmm. So is it aggressive and they just nailed the geometry so that it's more comfortable? Or isn't it aggressive and they nailed the geometry so that it's more efficient??

Update:

Rockwell 6s US Tour

-chaturvedi11 (completed)
-gvw755 (completed)
-Hoka Hey (completed)
-DCRIII (completed)
-Head-shaver (completed)
-Sdm84 (completed)
-bobmsp (completed)
-gwsmallwood (completed)
-Rory1262 (completed)
-ozarkedger (completed)
-lancre (completed)
-BigSpivito (completed)
-Gdawgs (in-hand testing)
-meanpr (on deck)
-Johnnynroy (in the hole)
-Cg006
-himself62
-valthun
-danlaw

Added one more to the list @danlaw.:thumbsup:

Shave on gents.....

Shave #3 - I decided to change things up a bit. I used my own homemade soap, a Rockwell blade, and just for kicks I started with the #1 plate to see if it did anything. After several strokes with the #1, I gave up on it. For me, it's completely useless. I then went to #3 for my first pass. It did a decent job for the first mowing. I then moved to #6 for my following passes like I've been doing.

Overall, similar results as I've been getting. Very close, comfortable shave. Not quite a BBS today. Not sure if it's the Rockwell blade, or if I just didn't spend enough time on it.

I think I'll try one more shave Saturday morning then get it shipped off to meanpr.

Shave #4 -- Stirling soap, Kai blade. I decided not to mess around with starting mild today and started off with plate #6, since it feels so mild. Like I mentioned before, things get "grabby" if I start with a razor that's too aggressive with two days growth. But not with the 6S, even with plate #6. First pass with the grain took off a good amount, without grabbing. I then did two more passes, and ended up with another close comfortable shave. Not quite BBS, but very close.

So my conclusion. Even with Plate #6, this thing does not feel aggressive and is extremely comfortable. I can get just as close, if not closer with this razor than my other aggressive razors, but without having to turn my face into hamburger.

The downsides - 1) It's pretty heavy. The heaviest I've ever used. I don't mind, but I could see how this could turn some people off. 2) I don't find it particularly attractive, but hey, it's a razor, not a supermodel. 3) For me, plates #1 and #2 are completely useless. The only one I need is #6. I'd much prefer it come with a plate #7 and #8 and skip 1 and 2.

Overall, I have enjoyed my time with the 6S and I plan on buying one. It's going to have to wait a while since we have a kid in the hospital and we have a big trip to Africa coming up in a couple weeks. So, no money currently in the budget for shaving supplies. :)

I sanitized the razor with scrubbing bubbles and have sent if off to Meanpr. It should arrive on Tuesday.

Thank you GlazedBoker for allowing us the chance to try this out!!!

Shave #4 -- Stirling soap, Kai blade. I decided not to mess around with starting mild today and started off with plate #6, since it feels so mild. Like I mentioned before, things get "grabby" if I start with a razor that's too aggressive with two days growth. But not with the 6S, even with plate #6. First pass with the grain took off a good amount, without grabbing. I then did two more passes, and ended up with another close comfortable shave. Not quite BBS, but very close.

So my conclusion. Even with Plate #6, this thing does not feel aggressive and is extremely comfortable. I can get just as close, if not closer with this razor than my other aggressive razors, but without having to turn my face into hamburger.

The downsides - 1) It's pretty heavy. The heaviest I've ever used. I don't mind, but I could see how this could turn some people off. 2) I don't find it particularly attractive, but hey, it's a razor, not a supermodel. 3) For me, plates #1 and #2 are completely useless. The only one I need is #6. I'd much prefer it come with a plate #7 and #8 and skip 1 and 2.

Overall, I have enjoyed my time with the 6S and I plan on buying one. It's going to have to wait a while since we have a kid in the hospital and we have a big trip to Africa coming up in a couple weeks. So, no money currently in the budget for shaving supplies. :)

I sanitized the razor with scrubbing bubbles and have sent if off to Meanpr. It should arrive on Tuesday.

Thank you GlazedBoker for allowing us the chance to try this out!!!
:thumbsup:
Nice write up....

Update:

Rockwell 6s US Tour

-gvw755 (completed)
-Hoka Hey (completed)
-DCRIII (completed)
-Head-shaver (completed)
-Sdm84 (completed)
-bobmsp (completed)
-gwsmallwood (completed)
-Rory1262 (completed)
-ozarkedger (completed)
-lancre (completed)
-BigSpivito (completed)
-Gdawgs (completed)
-meanpr (in transit too)
-Johnnynroy (on deck)
-Cg006 (in the hole)
-himself62
-valthun
-danlaw

Shave on gents.....

Package received today, a thank you to @Gdawgs and more importantly thank you to @GlazedBoker for his generosity.

Shave 1
Rockwell Razor w/Plate R3
Gillette Silver Blue Blade
Tabac Shaving Soap
Parker Badger Brush

2-Pass shave 1st w/grain, had one day growth and first go with the razor. I wanted to start off conservatively and reading all the past posts, left me believing three would be pretty mild. My EJ89 is my daily driver and on the 1st pass, usually gets off most whiskers for me. After 1st pass with plate 3, I was left with a few patches of whiskers.

2nd pass across the grain, removed the rest of the whiskers, except for the really stubborn ones under my chin. Re-lathered my chin and buffed the stubborn chin whiskers.

First impression, not impressed with Plate 3, maybe it's my unfamiliarity with the razor or maybe it's to mild for my beard. First shave, far from the best but definitely not my worse shave!

I'm going to kick-up to Plate R5 for shave two, I'll skip a day and give it another go with two-days growth.

Package received today, a thank you to @Gdawgs and more importantly thank you to @GlazedBoker for his generosity.

Shave 1
Rockwell Razor w/Plate R3
Tabac Shaving Soap
Parker Badger Brush

2-Pass shave 1st w/grain, had one day growth and first go with the razor. I wanted to start off conservatively and reading all the past posts, left me believing three would be pretty mild. My EJ89 is my daily driver and on the 1st pass, usually gets off most whiskers for me. After 1st pass with plate 3, I was left with a few patches of whiskers.

2nd pass across the grain, removed the rest of the whiskers, except for the really stubborn ones under my chin. Re-lathered my chin and buffed the stubborn chin whiskers.

First impression, not impressed with Plate 3, maybe it's my unfamiliarity with the razor or maybe it's to mild for my beard. First shave, far from the best but definitely not my worse shave!

I'm going to kick-up to Plate R5 for shave two, I'll skip a day and give it another go with two-days growth.
:thumbsup:. Get your shave on!!!

Shave 2
Rockwell Razor w/Plate R5
Tabac Shaving Soap
Parker Badger Brush

2-Pass shave 1st w/grain had two-day growth and first go with the razor. I started off conservatively on my first shave, using plate R3 and it was too mild. Started this morning's shave with Plate R5, much better first pass, this plate removed most of my two-day whisker growth.

2nd pass across the grain, did a much better job with my really stubborn whiskers under my chin. No need to re-lathered nor was any further buffing needed.

Second impression, way happier with Plate R5, I feel this plate is dialed in for my beard. This second shave, definitely meets my expectations of a DFS!

I'm going to kick-up to Plate R6 for shave three, I'll skip a day and give it another go with two-days growth. If I had to guess, I'd probably stick to Plate R5 for my daily driver.

Shave 3
Rockwell Razor w/Plate R6
Tabac Shaving Soap
Parker Badger Brush

2-Pass shave 1st w/grain had one and half-day growth. I previously used the R5 on my previous shave and really liked that plate. Started this evening's shave with Plate R6, great first pass, this plate removed most of my two-day whisker growth.

2nd pass across the grain, overall a great pass, got glass like finish. No need to re-lathered nor was any further buffing needed.

Third impression, very happy with Plate R6, I feel this plate is dialed in for my beard. This third shave, definitely meets my expectations of a DFS!

I'm going to stick with Plate R6 for shave four, I'll skip a shave on Saturday and give it another go on Sunday, then ship it off to @Johnnynroy.

Overall impression, great razor with R5 or R6, other heads for me are just not worth it. The 2S would likely be a good option, if it gave R5/R6 as the head option.

Update:

Rockwell 6s US Tour

-gvw755 (completed)
-Hoka Hey (completed)
-DCRIII (completed)
-Head-shaver (completed)
-Sdm84 (completed)
-bobmsp (completed)
-gwsmallwood (completed)
-Rory1262 (completed)
-ozarkedger (completed)
-lancre (completed)
-BigSpivito (completed)
-Gdawgs (completed)
-meanpr (in hand testing)
-Johnnynroy (on deck)
-Cg006 (in the hole)
-himself62
-valthun
-danlaw

Shave on gents.....

Shave 4
Rockwell Razor w/Plate R6
Tabac Shaving Soap
Parker Badger Brush

2-Pass shave 1st w/grain had one and half-day growth. I previously used the R6 on my previous shave and I liked that plate, the best. Started this morning's shave with Plate R6, great first pass, this plate removed most of my two-day whisker growth.

2nd pass across the grain, overall a good pass, very smooth and comfortable. No need to re-lathered nor was any further buffing needed.

Fourth impression, still think Plate R6 is the best plate for my beard. This plate meets my expectation for a DFS!

Trying this razor was a good experience, I've tried about ten razors and I would definitely rank this in my top five.

Razor is cleaned and scrubbed, ready to go in the mail on Tuesday.

Well, after chasing BBS with my other razors and just not getting there(with plenty of irritation), I was missing the 6S. So I pulled the trigger on a 6C today. Hopefully it will work as well as the 6S.

Well, after chasing BBS with my other razors and just not getting there(with plenty of irritation), I was missing the 6S. So I pulled the trigger on a 6C today. Hopefully it will work as well as the 6S.
Congrats! Just FYI, but I believe that I received an email about a week ago from RockWell stating that they had just received a new batch of 200 razors of the 6s. But, from what I hear the 6c & 6s are nearly identical in shave quality. Enjoy the shaves! :thumbsup:

Top Bottom