What's new

The road to the perfect shave for a very sensitive skin : An ongoing odyssey

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Another "post Feather" route you might try is Above the Tie ("ATT"). If you look back over the very find @Kennyg2019 thread, you find that early in his quest he found the ATT both mild and efficient. I moved to an ATT Windsor with regular plate from a Feather AS-D2. The mildness, even with a Feather blade, was excellent. With a Gillette Silver Blue it is stellar. The ATT, even with its mild plate, is, for me, easier to use and more efficient than the Feather.

Another vote for the Henson as a mild yet efficient razor. I only have aluminum; the light weight does not bother me.

Another mild, comfortable, yet very efficient razor to consider: Yates 921 M.

I have also experienced irritation from some (not all) vegan soaps. Have you tried anything from Stirling? They have lanolin like MWF as well as Shea Butter, which my face seems to like a lot.

As far as other razors, I would take a look at the Razorock Lupo either in the 72 or 95. Both very efficient and very comfortable. And less than $100 for a made in Canada SS razor.

Nivea balm is great! I mostly prefer alcohol based splashes, but if I have a rough shave, or brush burn, or a soap that irritates my skin, it’s what I use.

Hey LMcC,

It's funny, since I'm using the Timeless I can use my vegan soap again !

Another "post Feather" route you might try is Above the Tie ("ATT"). If you look back over the very find @Kennyg2019 thread, you find that early in his quest he found the ATT both mild and efficient. I moved to an ATT Windsor with regular plate from a Feather AS-D2. The mildness, even with a Feather blade, was excellent. With a Gillette Silver Blue it is stellar. The ATT, even with its mild plate, is, for me, easier to use and more efficient than the Feather.

Hey Tirvine,

Thank you, I'll look at it !

Another vote for the Henson as a mild yet efficient razor. I only have aluminum; the light weight does not bother me.

Another mild, comfortable, yet very efficient razor to consider: Yates 921 M.

Hey ewk,

Thank you, I really want to try the Henson Ti22 mild !

Welcome aboard!!

Thanks for sharing your journey! And GREAT KIT!! :a29:

Hey BigJ,

Thank you !

Welcome to the forum !!

Hey NickCutlip,

Thank you !

Welcome to B&B

Hey SteelSchaben,

Thank you !

Welcome to the journey to the perfect shave as well as B&B. There are a few rabbit holes around here... Which most of us explore at one time or another...
Have fun on the adventure!

Consider a cold water shave. Switching from hot water to cold entirely cured my skin irritation issues.

I don't know whether I actually have sensitive skin, or just wasn't very good at honing my straight razors when I made the switch, but, either way, it worked.

linty1

My wallet cries.
You seem to be doing a good job eliminating and finding items that treat your skin well, but would maybe seeing a dermatologist (you'll prob need a referal from your fam doc) and running a few tests to see what spec sets you off be more efficient? Then you can read ingredients and pick what you know won't irritate.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
You sound like you're well on your way to the perfect combination. The first thing I would have tried was a razor blade sampler. I get great shaves from a Feather blade, but I wouldn't put them at the top of my suggestion list for someone with a light beard. They have fairly poor longevity for me and I would only use them steadily if I had a beard that was too heavy for most other blades - which you do not.

I often get some irritation from GSB blades, which are loved by many, are not quite as sharp as Feather blades, and don't get along with my skin.

Just something to consider, as there are quite a few smooth blades out there.

Consider a cold water shave. Switching from hot water to cold entirely cured my skin irritation issues.

+1 on the cold (at least colder) water shaves. Not being one to buy a lot of product to shave with, I tend to try things that are already at hand. I've found great results using shampoo as a pre-shave beard softener. Both have greatly helped me negotiate the effects of shaving daily, which I do out of desire not necessity as my stubble is on more of a 36 hour cycle.

Top Bottom