What's new

The Renaissance of hair pomades & the new Golden Age

$dax.jpg

Putting in heated water won't hurt it. It's resistant to all that stuff. When they first pour it into the tin during production, the pomade is really hot. Nothing happens to it.

The best pomades are the old standards that were created almost a 100 years ago like Sweet Georgia Brown, Murray's Superior, Murray's Exelento,Murray's Super Light...etc. The newer petroleum based pomades are just poor copies of these products but with a much bigger price-tag attached. One of the few exceptions is Dax Wave and Groom. Dax is a huge company, and they put some work into the development of this product. It's so perfect. Dax is so good that it arguably should be sold for 5X the price that it is right now. I have really good luck when I'm wearing Dax and Murray's.

@David157,

Is dax green and gold stronger than high and tight ?

Sent from Mars

$green2.jpg

Dax Green and Gold is pretty similar in hold. It looks different in your hair because it's wax. Green and Gold reminds me more of Sweet Georgia Brown Blue. It's like a less expensive version of that type of pomade, which is why I purchased it in the first place a long time ago after reading about it. I loved Sweet Georgia Brown Blue and wanted a similar product. Awesome Hold is more like a slightly weaker version of Dax Wave and Groom and Murray's Superior. It doesn't contain wax. It has Petrolatum, Mineral Oil, Lanolin, Parfum, D&C Yellow 1. It's in the same class as Murray's and Dax rather than Dax Green and Gold and Sweet Georgia Brown Blue. I like Awesome Hold, but it's a redundant product because it's so similar to Dax Wave and Groom and Murray's. For me, the hold is no better than Murray's or Dax Wave and Groom. I think it's a product that really doesn't have a place to where it stands out on it's own. A far, far better pomade for hold is Murray's Xtra Heavy pomade. It's light years better than Dax Awesome hold. I've had Awesome Hold sitting on my shelf for ages. I rarely use it anymore because it's so similar - but weaker - than Dax and Murray's Superior. There's no real use for the product because it's just a duplication of other pomades in existence and not an improvement. Once my tin of Awesome hold runs out, I won't be buying anymore of it. I prefer Murray's, Dax, Murray's Xtra Heavy and Dax Green and Gold.

I like Dax Green and Gold because of the way it makes my hair look. It's a GREAT pomade for volume, even better than Dax Wave and Groom. It contains wax, so it gives you great high for a pompadour or just someone that wants height or more volume to their hair. I've got a lot of curly hair, and I like to go with the James Dean look for my hair at times when I'm not in a professional setting, so I go with Dax Green and Gold for that occasion. I see it as a better product for getting hair volume than Sweet George Brown Blue. It also contains several different oils for shine. It's pretty shiny. It looks different for everyone. There are a couple of guys on Youtube that reviewed. In one review, it looks great on the guys hair, but in another, it looks waxy and the reviewer is unhappy with the product. Green and Gold looks great on my hair. I just use it when I want my hair to have height in the front for a pomp, but it's great as a volume for thinning hair as well. The Dapper Society guy has thinning hair. The only pomade that I've seen that works for his hair to give him volume is Dax Green and Gold. Everything else he uses makes his hair problems more noticeable.

Ingredients:

Petrolatum, Lanolin, Beeswax, Sweet Almond Oil, Jojoba Oil, Sesame Seed Oil, Wheat Germ Oil, Safflower Oil, Peanut Oil, Cottonseed Oil, D Yellow 11, Parfum.

$dapper.jpg

David,

I am on my second day with sweet georgia brown blue and i have to say it s pretty for slick and tight hair style.

I tried to recreate the more matural and messy hair style i had with dax but failed. I decided to go for something heavy a bit like ronaldo or hipsters.

I do find it gives my hair a darker complexion and a lot of shine similar to a wet look.

I think it look quite nice. I leave the tin in hot water and it s super easy to apply.

The texture is a quite waxy compared to dax wave and groom and the hold heavier.

Picture below. I ll keep that style for the next week or so and see how the build up is.

proxy.php

Sent from Mars

I was looking at vintage superior review when one of the review gave me a concern. They said superior v has lower hold compared to regular superior? Is that true? I need the strong hold lol so for now i ordered another can of xtra heavy and also ordered a local brewed xtra hold ones. The local wone claimed to be "healthy and all organic" oil based pomade without petrolatum. Will report back after it arrives.

i type butter on my phone.. sometimes.. most of the times.. probably..

I was looking at vintage superior review when one of the review gave me a concern. They said superior v has lower hold compared to regular superior? Is that true? I need the strong hold lol so for now i ordered another can of xtra heavy and also ordered a local brewed xtra hold ones. The local wone claimed to be "healthy and all organic" oil based pomade without petrolatum. Will report back after it arrives.

Butter on your phone sounds messy.

David,

I am on my second day with sweet georgia brown blue and i have to say it s pretty for slick and tight hair style.

I tried to recreate the more matural and messy hair style i had with dax but failed. I decided to go for something heavy a bit like ronaldo or hipsters.

I do find it gives my hair a darker complexion and a lot of shine similar to a wet look.

I think it look quite nice. I leave the tin in hot water and it s super easy to apply.

The texture is a quite waxy compared to dax wave and groom and the hold heavier.

Picture below. I ll keep that style for the next week or so and see how the build up is.

proxy.php

Sent from Mars

$blue.jpg
Roman,

It’s difficult to get a messy look with Sweet Georgia Brown Blue pomade, because this stuff has such a strong hold. I have to use a little a time when I use this. It works well in combination with Sweet Georgia Brown Red pomade. The two pomades have the exact same ingredients. The only difference is the red is a light medium, and the Blue is a heavy. However, Sweet Georgia Brown Blue doesn’t need the shine. It’s excellent in the shine department. The Blue is definitely thicker than Dax Wave and Groom and Murray’s Superior. When I used to those pomades, I make the mistake sometimes of putting too much of the blue in my hair, and it winds up not looking as good as I wanted it to. With Sweet Georgia Brown blue, it doesn’t take more than two or three scoops to get the perfect hair style. That’s what’s so great about this pomade. It’s arguably better when just a small amount is used rather than adding more.

I like the vintage tin of Sweet Georgia Brown blue and red. It’s straight from the 1920s when the pomade was produced by the Valmor Products Company. There used to be a water based Sweet Georgia Brown Purple, but they discontinued it for some reason. Sweet Georgia Brown Blue is one of the best oil-based pomades I’ve used. It’s a real classic. The waxy texture takes some getting used to. I hope this pomade doesn’t go off the market again like I did previously. There was a two-year period where they stopped selling it. Murray’s brought it back a couple of years ago. It’s unclear if they purchased it from Valmor or what.

View attachment 691069
Roman,

It’s difficult to get a messy look with Sweet Georgia Brown Blue pomade, because this stuff has such a strong hold. I have to use a little a time when I use this. It works well in combination with Sweet Georgia Brown Red pomade. The two pomades have the exact same ingredients. The only difference is the red is a light medium, and the Blue is a heavy. However, Sweet Georgia Brown Blue doesn’t need the shine. It’s excellent in the shine department. The Blue is definitely thicker than Dax Wave and Groom and Murray’s Superior. When I used to those pomades, I make the mistake sometimes of putting too much of the blue in my hair, and it winds up not looking as good as I wanted it to. With Sweet Georgia Brown blue, it doesn’t take more than two or three scoops to get the perfect hair style. That’s what’s so great about this pomade. It’s arguably better when just a small amount is used rather than adding more.

I like the vintage tin of Sweet Georgia Brown blue and red. It’s straight from the 1920s when the pomade was produced by the Valmor Products Company. There used to be a water based Sweet Georgia Brown Purple, but they discontinued it for some reason. Sweet Georgia Brown Blue is one of the best oil-based pomades I’ve used. It’s a real classic. The waxy texture takes some getting used to. I hope this pomade doesn’t go off the market again like I did previously. There was a two-year period where they stopped selling it. Murray’s brought it back a couple of years ago. It’s unclear if they purchased it from Valmor or what.

Very interesting. I love the tin graphic and colour. I expected this to be quite similar to dax wave and groom but i was wrong.

What kind of hair style do you use this one for ?

Sent from Mars

$vintage.jpg

Hi Domoon,

Murray’s Vintage Superior pomade is the exact same amount of hold as the regular Murray’s Superior. Only difference is the scent. It’s great stuff. If you put in enough Murray’s Superior, you can great hold. For $3 per tin, it’s a great deal.

Here's what it says on Murray's pomade website about the Murray's Vintage Superior pomade:

"Murray's Original Pomade with a vintage fragrance developed in the early 20's. This product features the artwork originally created for C.D. Murray in 1925 and copyrighted in 1926. 3 oz can, $6.00."

I hope you don’t wind up spending a lot of money on a home brew pomade. I don’t believe that “healthy pomade” is any better than Murray’s. I can understand why they would want you think that, because they’ve got to sell their expensive products. I’ll never buy another home brew again. I wasted too much money on those pomades, and they’re no better than the pomades from the 1920s. They’re not as good.

Very interesting. I love the tin graphic and colour. I expected this to be quite similar to dax wave and groom but i was wrong.

What kind of hair style do you use this one for ?

Sent from Mars

Any style will work with Sweet Georgia Brown Blue. Whatever you usually go with should work. It's waxy, so it's going to look different than if you were using Dax Wave and Groom pomade. With it being wax, you can use a topper like Sweet Georgia Brown Red without it breaking down the hold. I tried going with a 50-50 mix of SGB Blue with Murray's Exelento and the hold was still really strong. It just made my hair look really shiny with great hold. With Dax, it's more creamy consistency and easy to style. Blue is really thick with strong hold. It's going to keep your hair in whatever style you set it to without much movement.

I hope you don’t wind up spending a lot of money on a home brew pomade. I don’t believe that “healthy pomade” is any better than Murray’s. I can understand why they would want you think that, because they’ve got to sell their expensive products. I’ll never buy another home brew again. I wasted too much money on those pomades, and they’re no better than the pomades from the 1920s. They’re not as good.
No worries, it's just a dollar or so more than a murray's. Heck, most of our local homebrew oil based pomades are usually around that price range too - if you know where to get it ;)

[MENTION=108930]David157[/MENTION] i have tried adding a finger of dax short and neat on top of my seeet georgia brown blue.

It does had a very nice shine to my hair, similar to a wet look. I ll see if i ll loose the hold...

$green2.jpg

Sweet George Brown Blue and even Dax Green and Gold pomade
have such a heavy wax content in them that prevents them from being weakened when adding a lighter pomade. The wax hold of those pomades don't appear to weaken when mixed with a lighter topper, at least for me. The look that I get from those pomades is considerably different from the non-wax pomades. Green and Gold is especially noticeable in the difference my hair looks. There's other high wax pomades like High Life Heavy, Lockhart's Heavy and Uppercut Monster Hold that have a ton of wax that are perfect for styling. I have to use a topper with those pomades because the look is matte. I only use a little bit of those pomades because they tend to give my hair an unnatural helmet look, and I can't have that look when I'm in a work setting.

Nothing will ever beat Ruezel Green or Pink. I've tried over 30/40 different pomades, and reuzel green and pink are just the best ones I've tried. Schmiere Rumble 59 is trailing in third place, but just doesn't have the hold that Reuzel does.

Nothing will ever beat Ruezel Green or Pink. I've tried over 30/40 different pomades, and reuzel green and pink are just the best ones I've tried. Schmiere Rumble 59 is trailing in third place, but just doesn't have the hold that Reuzel does.

You are entitled to your own opinion buddy :)

You are entitled to your own opinion buddy :)

That indeed it is. But I've been around the block a few times so I think my opinion holds some weight.

In terms of classic pomades my favourite was a mix of Murrays Original, with Murrays Hair-Glo on top for that high shine. The original would have a lasting hold, and the Hair Glo could easily enough be applied in the following days to bring back the shine.

Still, I've tried many of the classics, and none give the hold and the shine combo that Reuzel Green do.

So i have tried water based pomade has i want my hair clean before i go get a jew haircut this week end.

I have used the uppercut pomade and i am not a big fan.

Pros:
It s easy to apply to the hair. It has nice coconut scent and a decent hold.
It washes out easily

Cons:
The scent doesn't go away. I could smell it past 7 pm so forget putting any fragance. It hardens like a gel, i am not a big fan of that. It s costly, at 12£ i can get 3 or 4 boxes of classic oil based pomade.

It has very little shine.

I ll probably use it when i want to get a good style and clear the pomade from my hair but it won't be my daily driver for sure.

I ll probably use it when i want to get a good style and clear the pomade from my hair but it won't be my daily driver for sure.

I was never really a fan of the Uppercut water based, I finished the tin and never bought a new one. I really hate "pomades" that give the helmet head look.

Today i just threw in some Murray's hair-glo straight after the morning shower. I like the lighter but still sturdy hold, and the high shine keeps my hair looking like its straight out of the shower.

I was never really a fan of the Uppercut water based, I finished the tin and never bought a new one. I really hate "pomades" that give the helmet head look.

Today i just threw in some Murray's hair-glo straight after the morning shower. I like the lighter but still sturdy hold, and the high shine keeps my hair looking like its straight out of the shower.

So far light hold as not been my thing. I prefer a strong hold to a high shine.

That being said i do love a good shine.

So far light hold as not been my thing. I prefer a strong hold to a high shine.

That being said i do love a good shine.

Do a base coat of the Murrays Nu-Nile or Original for the Hold. Then apply a light layer of the Murrays Hair Glo for a super high hold, high shine combo.

I have rather light hair, which lets me use "toppers" as my base. Part of the reason I swear by Ruezel Green is the high hold and good shine combo.

Top Bottom