What's new

The Renaissance of hair pomades & the new Golden Age

[MENTION=108930]David157[/MENTION] i wanted to thank you for your earlier recommendation. I bought some nu niles hair slick pomade and i am extremly happy with the result i get. It s inexpensive and has a light to medium hold.

I was worried it would leave my hair greasy but no.

Man you have convinced me pomades are the way to go. Thanks again!

Sent from Mars

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
Got some Big Slick Original and a Sample of the Firm Hold today. I have the Original in my hair right now. Has a VERY strong barbershop scent, the same type one would find in Mike's or Maggard's Barbershop scented soaps. Very synthetic smelling, but that's kind of what I have come to expect from barbershop scents and what most barbershops actually seem to smell like anyway. It's on the lighter side of medium and has my hair looking nice and slick. The name fits! No complaints with the barbershop scent other than that Barbershop scents aren't really my "thing." The Firm Hold sample smells quite nice, a subtle lavender scent.

@David157 i wanted to thank you for your earlier recommendation. I bought some nu niles hair slick pomade and i am extremly happy with the result i get. It s inexpensive and has a light to medium hold.

I was worried it would leave my hair greasy but no.

Man you have convinced me pomades are the way to go. Thanks again!

Sent from Mars

Hi Fasa, I'm glad to hear you're happy with Murray's Nu Nile. This is some classic stuff that has been around for ages. It makes my hair look fantastic, like I just stepped out of the shower. It gives my hair the wet look and it's like that the entire day. What a like about Nu Nile is that it doesn't look greasy despite giving me a wet look. It also has excellent hold. I love this stuff. It's a classic pomade that has been around since forever. I believe it was around in the 1930s, possibly the 1920s.

I got a haircut on Saturday. I went for a low taper this time instead of a medium fade. I like it, but nothing tops the fades that my barber gives me. I'll stick with the taper for a few months, but then I'll likely go back to my fade.

Today was Lockhart's Goon Grease. I have the LE Goon Grease for President tin as well. That stuff is good, but I still like the original more.

Been away from this thread for awhile but still using pomades daily. Recently I had the chance to try Tip Top Pomade after a haircut. I thought it was excellent. A water based medium hold pomade, with Beeswax to give shine. Its really the best of both worlds as it allows for the excellent wax shine but is easily washed out.

Hi Fasa, I'm glad to hear you're happy with Murray's Nu Nile. This is some classic stuff that has been around for ages. It makes my hair look fantastic, like I just stepped out of the shower. It gives my hair the wet look and it's like that the entire day. What a like about Nu Nile is that it doesn't look greasy despite giving me a wet look. It also has excellent hold. I love this stuff. It's a classic pomade that has been around since forever. I believe it was around in the 1930s, possibly the 1920s.

I read 1925 somewhere ! I also got dax short and neat and some wave and groom to experiment with different hold and shine.

What is your view on those?

Sent from Mars

I read 1925 somewhere ! I also got dax short and neat and some wave and groom to experiment with different hold and shine.

What is your view on those?

Sent from Mars

Dax Short and Neat and Dax Wave and Groom pomades are SUPERB! Those are two pomades that I use a lot. With their inexpensive price tag, they give you the best bang for the buck. However, Dax Short and Neat doesn't have much hold, so you're not going to be able to do much with it other than for simple styles or a slick back. I use it mainly as a topper nowadays or when my hair is really short. I like to wear it for work, because it makes my hair look professional. Dax Wave and Groom is a superb heavy pomade. Before using it, you might want to purchase some Aussie 3 Minute Miracle Moist conditioner, because you'll need it to get this pomade out if your hair. Wave and Groom is hard to wash out because of the lanolin. I apply Aussie 3 minute Miracle conditioner to my hair when it's dry BEFORE i go into the short, and wait 15 minutes before rinsing and shampooing it. You apply this conditioner like it's a pomade and then comb it through. It removes Wave and Groom or any pomade easily. I don't have a problem washing out normal pomade with regular shampoo. It's just Wave and Groom, Dax Green and Gold and some of the wax pomades that I used in the past that gave me problems.

As far as shiny, light pomades go, there are a couple of other ones that are as good if not better than Dax Short and Neat.

1. Miurray's Hair-Glo - This is a shiny pomade created in the 1920s. It has slightly better hold than Dax Short and Neat with a better shine and it's less expensive. You can order it from Murray's website for $3 per tin. What a deal. It's one of the shiniest pomades out there.

2. Murray's Exelento - This is another shiny pomade from the 1920s. It's about the same price as Murray's Superior and Hair-Glo. It has slightly more sheen to it than Hair-Glo, but with less hold. This stuff is SUPER greasy. I can only use a little at a time because it's so greasy.

3. Murray's Super Light pomade - This is yet another pomade from the 1920s. It has really good hold for a light pomade. It's slightly better than Hair-Glo in that department. I'm not a big fan of the scent, but a lot of people seem to like it. For $3 per tin, it's a great deal.

Sweet Georgia Brown Red pomade is technically a light medium, but it has the characteristics of a light pomade in being very shiny. I'm been using a lot of this stuff lately as my new favorite topper pomade because it has excellent hold and it's super shiny. It's a pomade from the 1920s, I believe. Murray's took over from the company that used to sell it. It's perfect for styling because of the hold. The shine that it gives is top notch, and it has a great scent to boot.

I found this thread several days ago. I am now on page 34 out of "many". Very interesting thread that I have subscribed to although I have been going through it from the beginning and have not reached the end yet. I have very short hair which I am letting grow longer as I am wanting a longer hair style. The last pomade that I have used many many years ago was Tres Flores Brilliantine. This was in Hawaii as a youngster and I can still vividly recall the pomade running down my face when it got hot. I just started using Groom and Clean and have purchased three others that I will experiment with as my hair gets longer. So far I have purchased Murray's Superior, Dax Wave and Groom, and Royal Crown Hair Dressing. I told my wife I wanted to look like John Travolta in "Grease". All she told me was that he wore wigs and was really bald. She got me there! I hope I got room for all the pomade I'll probably be getting.

If you guys want to get the Blvd Nights X Pomp's Not Dead collab, now is your chance. I bought one.

I've been using Goon Grease lately. It's really hot and humid here in Florida, so I need something that will be able to stand up to the heat and humidity. Goon Grease.

Dax Short and Neat and Dax Wave and Groom pomades are SUPERB! Those are two pomades that I use a lot. With their inexpensive price tag, they give you the best bang for the buck. However, Dax Short and Neat doesn't have much hold, so you're not going to be able to do much with it other than for simple styles or a slick back. I use it mainly as a topper nowadays or when my hair is really short. I like to wear it for work, because it makes my hair look professional. Dax Wave and Groom is a superb heavy pomade. Before using it, you might want to purchase some Aussie 3 Minute Miracle Moist conditioner, because you'll need it to get this pomade out if your hair. Wave and Groom is hard to wash out because of the lanolin. I apply Aussie 3 minute Miracle conditioner to my hair when it's dry BEFORE i go into the short, and wait 15 minutes before rinsing and shampooing it. You apply this conditioner like it's a pomade and then comb it through. It removes Wave and Groom or any pomade easily. I don't have a problem washing out normal pomade with regular shampoo. It's just Wave and Groom, Dax Green and Gold and some of the wax pomades that I used in the past that gave me problems.

As far as shiny, light pomades go, there are a couple of other ones that are as good if not better than Dax Short and Neat.

1. Miurray's Hair-Glo - This is a shiny pomade created in the 1920s. It has slightly better hold than Dax Short and Neat with a better shine and it's less expensive. You can order it from Murray's website for $3 per tin. What a deal. It's one of the shiniest pomades out there.

2. Murray's Exelento - This is another shiny pomade from the 1920s. It's about the same price as Murray's Superior and Hair-Glo. It has slightly more sheen to it than Hair-Glo, but with less hold. This stuff is SUPER greasy. I can only use a little at a time because it's so greasy.

3. Murray's Super Light pomade - This is yet another pomade from the 1920s. It has really good hold for a light pomade. It's slightly better than Hair-Glo in that department. I'm not a big fan of the scent, but a lot of people seem to like it. For $3 per tin, it's a great deal.

Sweet Georgia Brown Red pomade is technically a light medium, but it has the characteristics of a light pomade in being very shiny. I'm been using a lot of this stuff lately as my new favorite topper pomade because it has excellent hold and it's super shiny. It's a pomade from the 1920s, I believe. Murray's took over from the company that used to sell it. It's perfect for styling because of the hold. The shine that it gives is top notch, and it has a great scent to boot.
Have you tried Sweet Georgia Brown Blue? I love that stuff.

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
Tried my sample of Big Slick Firm. Really nice stuff! I like the scent. They also make a Heavy, not sure what sets it apart from the firm but they say it has a "dirty mint" fragrance. Wouldn't mind trying it out in the future! I would really recommend Big Slick for an oil based pomade that feels nice and natural in the hair, especially the Original even though I prefer the scent of the Firm.

So, uh, since I'm close to running out my first can of xtra heavy, i decided to try another pomade. Got a Knupplehart yesterday and my first impression about it is that it's a big solid soap block with a soapy smell. Didn't expected the can to be that big LOL. Tried it today on a clean hair, and i gotta say that I'm not a fan of the smell after applied to the hair. It linger far too long than i liked. Other than that, it's a good one. This is the first day without built up so i can't really speak about the strength. But one thing i noticed that it's less oily feeling than the xtra heavy. Will see how it hold up after a couple of days of built up.

Second day with knupplehart. Used two fingers worth of pomade + a little bit more on the side parting. A little less than yesterday's three+. Looks good in the morning, but by 10 am my hair barely keep it's shape. Goes out on my bike from 10-12 wearing helmet. Returned home, washed my face and wet the hair a little - didn't even run the water on it, just a few splash with hand to cool my head. combing after that is a mess. My comb's teeth is full with bluey flakey stuffs. Don't think I'd want to use it again tomorrow :(

Second day with knupplehart. Used two fingers worth of pomade + a little bit more on the side parting. A little less than yesterday's three+. Looks good in the morning, but by 10 am my hair barely keep it's shape. Goes out on my bike from 10-12 wearing helmet. Returned home, washed my face and wet the hair a little - didn't even run the water on it, just a few splash with hand to cool my head. combing after that is a mess. My comb's teeth is full with bluey flakey stuffs. Don't think I'd want to use it again tomorrow :(

it sounds like you need to get back to Murray's Xtra heavy pomade. I'm coming to the conclusion that I need to get back to using this great stuff. It cuts down my application time and it holds my hair exactly the way I want it to. I just need a topper of Murray's Hair-Glo or Murray's Super Light and it's perfect.

I bought some of the German pomade that you have. The oil was dripping outside of the tin when it arrived. It was really waxy and not worth what I paid for it. I got a better deal with Dax Green and Gold pomade. I wasn't impressed with Lockhart's heavy or Goon Grease. High Life heavy pomade is pretty good stuff if you're into wax pomades. It's less expensive than Lockhard's. I don't like wax pomades too much. It's too hard to get out and it makes my hair look dirty. When i'm using a heavy pomade, I go with Murray's or Dax Wave and Groom nowadays. Green and Gold is a heavy medium that is wax based but it's slicker than a lot of the heavy wax pomades. I love that stuff.

it sounds like you need to get back to Murray's Xtra heavy pomade. I'm coming to the conclusion that I need to get back to using this great stuff. It cuts down my application time and it holds my hair exactly the way I want it to. I just need a topper of Murray's Hair-Glo or Murray's Super Light and it's perfect.

I bought some of the German pomade that you have. The oil was dripping outside of the tin when it arrived. It was really waxy and not worth what I paid for it. I got a better deal with Dax Green and Gold pomade. I wasn't impressed with Lockhart's heavy or Goon Grease. High Life heavy pomade is pretty good stuff if you're into wax pomades. It's less expensive than Lockhard's. I don't like wax pomades too much. It's too hard to get out and it makes my hair look dirty. When i'm using a heavy pomade, I go with Murray's or Dax Wave and Groom nowadays. Green and Gold is a heavy medium that is wax based but it's slicker than a lot of the heavy wax pomades. I love that stuff.
probably just combination of my hair type and the hot climate here didn't suit with the pomade. It has a pretty glowing reviews on the net too, thus my expectation was kind of high. Can't really blame anyone tho.

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
I'm a big fan of mediums over heavies TBH. Heavies don't really seem to hold my hair any better than mediums, they just make my hair stiffer which is one of those traits I was trying to move away from when I started using pomades to begin with. Some heavies aren't too heavy, those are my favorite ones. :)

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
Red House Original has really become a favorite for me lately. Wore it today and went ahead and ordered more since I'm running the jar low.

[MENTION=22302]Marco[/MENTION] I recently bought the Reuzel Green and am quite chuffed with it. Any other pomades I should be on the lookout for? I don't need super high sheen or the strongest of holds.

Top Bottom