What's new

The Renaissance of hair pomades & the new Golden Age

Gents, does anyone have experience with Murray's with 100% Pure Beeswax pomade? On the Murray's web-site it's described as a Medium/Heavy pomade, easy to apply and with great hold. However, there's no info on the shine and the scent. Anyone uses this? Thanks.

I have them both black and white beeswax.
It differs allot compared to pomades.

The consistency is quiet hard. To make it a bit malleable you have to warm up the little dab between your hands or use a hairdryer.

Its time consuming to make a nice spread in the hairs.
Very little shine but the hold is rock solid!

Very difficult to wash out (never tried your method btw).

Use black only on dark colored hair and watch out because its staining!!!

I only have used it a couple of times for the very rock solid hold and a SGB red to get the shine.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Gents, it's almost December and the 25th is close. Is there any pomade you would like to try and put under your Christmas tree? I'm pulling the trigger on the 3 Special Edition pomades from Murray's: X-Tra Heavy, Superior Vintage and Small Batch 50-50. Here the pics.

$X-Tra Heavy.jpg

$Superior Vintage.jpg

$Samll Batch 50-50.jpg

Gents, it's almost December and the 25th is close. Is there any pomade you would like to try and put under your Christmas tree? [/CENTER]
Possibly Lockharts Goon Grease with the Christmas special scent (caramel/coffee/peppermint). Otherwise I will just wait and see if other manufacturers offer anything appealing!

I just received a tin of Goon Grease (with free shipping) directly from Lockhart's today (plus a tin of Steve's moustache wax).

I'm impressed with the pomade. It's my first non-water-based goo. Let's see if I'm still impressed in three or four days from now. So far, so good.

I've used Sauvecito, **** Grease XXX, a couple of Baxters of California varieties and Layrite in the past. The Goon Grease seems like it could cause me to retire those for a while.

The moustache wax is good so far, too.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
That 50/50 tin is pretty cool Marco.

Derek, to me all 3 tins look magnificent with their traditional, beautiful Orange/Butterscotch colour. However, the one that really touched my heart is the Superior Vintage. Here's its description on the Murray's web-site: "Murray's Original Pomade with a vintage fragrance developed in the early 20's. This product features the artwork originally created for C.D. Murray in 1925 and copyrighted in 1926." Come on, what's more Old School than this! :euro: :001_wub:

Put in a solid order of pomades through Pomades.com which I never really checked out till I saw they had a sale going on till 1Dec.

Purchased the following:
C*ck Grease No-X
Lockhart's Light Hold
Sweet Georgia Brown - Red
Rumble 59 Schmeire Limited Edition Medium Hold

Been wanting to try these, and the sale just made it so I had to! Free shipping when you order more than $35 worth of goods.

I also took advantage of Pomades.com's sale.

I got:
Lockhart's Light Hold
Rumble 59 Schmiere Wanderlust (already have a tin of this and love it so got a backup)
Uppercut Deluxe

Looking forward to trying out some of the new pomades that I've been hearing such great things about.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
For my European B&B friends (mostly), I've just found another great source for pomades! It's www.pomade-online.nl from Netherlands and they are currently giving free shipping in Europe on orders of €50!

I'm finding the more oily / cream type 'hair dressings' are for me with a base of own brand fibre putty / paste. But whats the difference between a pomade and brilliantine?

Brilliantine is more fluid substance. Almost like oil. Tres flores brilliantine gives mad shine. But the hold is almost none.

With a hard pomade base you can add shine with brilliantine

Took advantage of the Pomades.com sale and grabbed a King Brown Pomade, maybe the best tin out there, so worth the purchase just to have that. Also picked up Lockhart's Medium and Lockhart's Heavy Hold. I really liked the Goon Grease , so wanted to try these others. Any users of the above?

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
I've just received my pack with the 3 Special Edition pomades from Murray's! First test tomorrow morning on perfectly clean hair. I'm going to use the X-Tra Heavy as a base and the Small Batch 50-50 as a cover. Thoughts to be posted soon.

A couple of days of Admirals so far and I'm impressed...my wife said she can't tell the difference too much, which is what I was shooting for...nothing drastic when in uniform...and the hold is "cleaner" than the gels...I like it! More to come as my hair grows a little bit...obviously wear it pretty short

Oh...and some Railcar on the way too...damn ADs!

Last edited:

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Gents, today has been the first day with Murray's Special Edition pomades. The X-Tra Heavy/Small Batch 50-50 combo has been EXACTLY as I thought and exactly as I wanted. Here is a brief description of these SE pomades, along with my initial thoughts.

X-Tra Heavy: The strongest Murray's ever. It uses the trusted formula of the Original with a +25% more wax content, hence it gives +25% more hold. It obviously has a slightly stiffer texture compared to the Original and requires a bit of warming into the palms of the hands, but it's still soft, pliable and not difficult at all to work and apply. The consistency, hold, shine and overall performance reminds me a lot of my beloved Sweet Georgia Brown Blue. This is EXACTLY the Murray's I was waiting for to be used as a base.

Ingredients: Petrolatum, Paraffin, Mineral Oil, Fragrance (parfum).

Murray's Small Batch 50-50: A superb Medium Hold pomade, so called because its formula is 50% Murray's Original and 50% Exelento. The 50% Original gives texture, hold and body to the pomade while the 50% Exelento gives shine, flexibility and hair/scalp care. Please note that the Exelento, introduced in 1912 (yes, more than one hundred years ago!), is enriched with Lanolin, Olive Oil and Castor Oil.

Ingredients: Petrolatum, Mineral Oil, Lanolin, Olive (Olea Europaea) Fruit Oil, Castor (Ricinus Communis) Seed Oil, Fragrance (parfum).

These two pomades seem to work perfectly together: the X-Tra Heavy as a base for the extra hold and the Small Batch 50-50 as a cover for the great shine and versatility. The Small Batch 50-50 also seems a great all-rounder on the softer side and an ideal pomade for touch-ups, just like Murray's Nu Nile and Sweet Georgia Brown Red.

P.S. I'm not going to evaluate the Superior Vintage pomade, the third pomade of this Special Edition which to me is more a "collector's pomade" than a true novelty. This simply because the Superior V is, vintage scent and graphics aside, exactly the same as the regular Superior.

Gents, today has been the first day with Murray's Special Edition pomades. The X-Tra Heavy/Small Batch 50-50 combo has been EXACTLY as I thought and exactly as I wanted. Here is a brief description of these SE pomades, along with my initial thoughts.

X-Tra Heavy: The strongest Murray's ever. It uses the trusted formula of the Original with a +25% more wax content, hence it gives +25% more hold. It obviously has a slightly stiffer texture compared to the Original and requires a bit of warming into the palms of the hands, but it's still soft, pliable and not difficult at all to work and apply. The consistency, hold, shine and overall performance reminds me a lot of my beloved Sweet Georgia Brown Blue. This is EXACTLY the Murray's I was waiting for to be used as a base.

Ingredients: Petrolatum, Paraffin, Mineral Oil, Fragrance (parfum).

Murray's Small Batch 50-50: A superb Medium Hold pomade, so called because its formula is 50% Murray's Original and 50% Exelento. The 50% Original gives texture, hold and body to the pomade while the 50% Exelento gives shine, flexibility and hair/scalp care. Please note that the Exelento, introduced in 1912 (yes, more than one hundred years ago!), is enriched with Lanolin, Olive Oil and Castor Oil.

Ingredients: Petrolatum, Mineral Oil, Lanolin, Olive (Olea Europaea) Fruit Oil, Castor (Ricinus Communis) Seed Oil, Fragrance (parfum).

These two pomades seem to work perfectly together: the X-Tra Heavy as a base for the extra hold and the Small Batch 50-50 as a cover for the great shine and versatility. The Small Batch 50-50 also seems a great all-rounder on the softer side and an ideal pomade for touch-ups, just like Murray's Nu Nile and Sweet Georgia Brown Red.

P.S. I'm not going to evaluate the Superior Vintage pomade, the third pomade of this Special Edition which to me is more a "collector's pomade" than a true novelty. This simply because the Superior V is, vintage scent and graphics aside, exactly the same as the regular Superior.
I am amazed by your knowledge on pomades. How much is the Murray's 50/50?

Top Bottom