What's new

The Renaissance of hair pomades & the new Golden Age

Thank you Sir! Exactly what I was wondering. Great thread.

Sir, I have the Monster Hold and it's a completely different product compared to the Deluxe. The consistency of the Monster Hold is very hard and to me requires a lot of time and energy to apply and style properly. Not my cup of tea. Also, I think it should be described as a wax, not a pomade.

I just ordered a tub of Crown Shaving Co. Hippie Killer Pomade from Italian Barber. I'm also considering Layrite and Uppercut Deluxe from Pomade.com in the near future. I'll try and remember to post my opinion on the Hippie Killer pomade after it arrives.

Brad, I think super fine hair should need a good Medium/Strong or Strong Hold since they don't have any hold at all on their own. People with thick, coarse hair can opt for a Light or Light/Medium Hold because of the consistency and body of their hair. Now the questions are: what hair style do you wear or would like to wear? How much shine do you prefer? Are you more inclined to a water based or an oil based, or simply try both? Would you like a pomade that is easy to apply, style and comb?

Marco, I wear my short not a crew cut though, with a simple side part, I would like some shine but not overly. Easy to apply and to style with a brush.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Marco, I wear my short not a crew cut though, with a simple side part, I would like some shine but not overly. Easy to apply and to style with a brush.

Brad, the description of your hair "short, with a simple side part" is making me smile. Know why my friend? Because it's exactly how I imagined my Gentleman of 1930's in my thread: "The young man sits down on a green leather chair and, after about 40 minutes, stands up with a beautiful Regular Contour perfectly executed on his head and kept nice, tight and shiny with a great pomade." The Regular Contour is a rather short haircut, with a simple side part and started to become popular since the 1930's. Only years later it was modified in a College Contour first and in an Executive Contour later (the Executive Contour is what I wear). That said, with this kind of hair I was almost going to suggest an original pomade of those years like Sweet Georgia Brown or Murray's Hair-Glo, but will not because they add a ton of shine. What about a Medium Hold with medium shine? Names like Railcar Fine Goods, Admiral Medium Fiber and the newest Prospectors Gold Rush (not tested yet) come to my mind.

Marco, as always, I enjoy your insight and writing - great post! :thumbup:

A nice article can be found here http://www.artofmanliness.com/2011/...air-grooms-to-give-you-that-cary-grant-shine/ showing some of the old ads and TV spots of some classic hair products.

I use Groom & Clean which is a water based pomade I've not yet seen mentioned in this thread. It was developed to be an choice against the more greasy, traditional pomades of the day like Byrlcream. Another bonus is it is readily available at Wal Mart and local drug stores like CVS and Walgreen. I like it because it holds all day, even in wind, and washes clean. I have used it daily for a number of years now and no longer experience the itchy, or even occasional dry scalp that comes about with the changing of seasons.

Last edited:
Favorite Pomade is Uppercut Deluxe , a water base . Great hold and excellent scent. Some shine. Never gets hard.
Curious if the other Uppercut products (Monster Hold) have a similar texture being oil based or if they are harder consistency like Iron Society? Anyone have experience with Uppercut Deluxe?

Will likely try the Lockhart's Goon Grease, as it sounds nice based upon Marco's description.Thanks!

I like the Monster Hold for days when I want to start with a nice tight look that slowly loosens and relaxes over the day. Getting it in the hair is difficult as it is essentially straight bees wax. You'll need heat of some sort to loosen it. Also, it can go on white sometimes, no idea why. I usually apply it to damp hair and I think if I did it with dry, it would hold my hair all day. The scent is fantastic.

That said, Uppercut Deluxe is better imo.

Finally, instead of Shiner Psycho Hold, I went with Reuzel Red pomade. Will report back once it arrives.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Gentlemen, if you love Uppercut Deluxe you should also try Admiral Strong. I find these two pomades to be almost "twins": same soft consistency, same ease of use, same Strong Hold and same medium shine. The scent also is very close, with Uppercut Deluxe being a sweet caramel scent and Admiral Strong being a sweet coconut scent. Actually, two staples in my den.

I have been interested in pomades myself, and have taken a small gander into this world.

I'm curious, what hairstyle do you sport, Marco?

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
I have been interested in pomades myself, and have taken a small gander into this world.

I'm curious, what hairstyle do you sport, Marco?

Executive Contour. The sides and the back of the head are cut with the famous Wahl clipper almost at skin level and progressively fade. The top has a side part sculpted with a razor and a lock of hair combed backwards. The pics of this boy taken from the Layrite Gallery give you a good idea.

$Layrite EC.jpg

Gentlemen, if you love Uppercut Deluxe you should also try Admiral Strong. I find these two pomades to be almost "twins": same soft consistency, same ease of use, same Strong Hold and same medium shine. The scent also is very close, with Uppercut Deluxe being a sweet caramel scent and Admiral Strong being a sweet coconut scent. Actually, two staples in my den.

Marco...Are the scents from these two pomades strong? Subtle? I usually wear cologne, lightly sprayed/splashed on and I'd be concerned about being too fragrant. Could I trouble you for your thoughts on this?

I have mentioned this before in other recent threads: I like to use a combination of products - Groom & Clean and Brilliantine to achieve my hair hold. I use about a 50/50 combination of these (maybe even slightly more G&C compared to brilliantine). It's an adaptation of the old Cary Grant technique (in his time it is reported he used Dixie Peach and an unnamed brilliantine). I use Groom & Clean mixed with Yardley's Brilliantine and it works fantastic for me.

My cut and hair style is similar to the pictures Marco posted of the boy. Due to G&C's properties this rinses out cleanly at the end of the day with just hot water. To boot, for me, it avoids dry scalp and provides fantastic shine, color and hold. I shampoo once a week as well. My scalp is very happy and fragrant with this choice.

I recommend anyone to try this method as it seems a worthy effort. Give it a few weeks before you render judgement.

Chris

Gentlemen, this thread is offering up lots of great information. Please continue.

Marco, the photos of the executive contour are fabulous. Really neat and old school. How do you think it would work for a bloke with less of a straight across hairline? I am far from balding but have a more triangular front hair line. Plenty of hair density on top but I wonder about that razor part line along the side when you hairline is not as 'forward' as the young man's in the photos?

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Marco...Are the scents from these two pomades strong? Subtle? I usually wear cologne, lightly sprayed/splashed on and I'd be concerned about being too fragrant. Could I trouble you for your thoughts on this?

Jason, to my nose they are not weak but don't create any issue with a cologne either. Straight from the tin/jar the scent is robust, sweet, with a vanilla background on both and it's all very, very Old School barbershop. Once in the hair the scent partially fades, but the next morning I can still smell it before my daily shampoo. Oh, those scents... :001_wub:

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
I have mentioned this before in other recent threads: I like to use a combination of products - Groom & Clean and Brilliantine to achieve my hair hold. I use about a 50/50 combination of these (maybe even slightly more G&C compared to brilliantine). It's an adaptation of the old Cary Grant technique (in his time it is reported he used Dixie Peach and an unnamed brilliantine). I use Groom & Clean mixed with Yardley's Brilliantine and it works fantastic for me.

My cut and hair style is similar to the pictures Marco posted of the boy. Due to G&C's properties this rinses out cleanly at the end of the day with just hot water. To boot, for me, it avoids dry scalp and provides fantastic shine, color and hold. I shampoo once a week as well. My scalp is very happy and fragrant with this choice.

I recommend anyone to try this method as it seems a worthy effort. Give it a few weeks before you render judgement.

Chris

OK, I'll give this a try. Once King Brown Firm will be released (late November) I'll get both King Brown pomades and use the Original as a base and the Firm as a cover for a stronger hold with definition. Thanks for the tip, Chris.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Gentlemen, this thread is offering up lots of great information. Please continue.

Marco, the photos of the executive contour are fabulous. Really neat and old school. How do you think it would work for a bloke with less of a straight across hairline? I am far from balding but have a more triangular front hair line. Plenty of hair density on top but I wonder about that razor part line along the side when you hairline is not as 'forward' as the young man's in the photos?

Todd, the Executive Contour that I wear, as the one shown in the pics, actually is a modern reinterpretation of a classic cut of the first Golden Age. At that time the fade was not so extreme and it didn't start almost at skin level. Also, the part was created only using a comb, not sculpted in with a razor. Therefore, I like to consider it as a "modern barbershop classic".

I think you won't have a problem trying this haircut style. If you want you can also opt for a College Contour, which is identical to the Executive Contour with the exception of a minor lock of hair combed backwards on the top. Very neat and Old School, too.

Marco, I hope it suits you. I've enjoyed this thread and a lot of the things you post so I hope I can return the effort a little.

For years I used straight G&C with great effect. The brilliantine adds more of a fiber to mix as well as some scalp protection (mostly vaseline).

Good luck.

Chris

Jason, to my nose they are not weak but don't create any issue with a cologne either. Straight from the tin/jar the scent is robust, sweet, with a vanilla background on both and it's all very, very Old School barbershop. Once in the hair the scent partially fades, but the next morning I can still smell it before my daily shampoo. Oh, those scents... :001_wub:

Thank-you, sir. Your comments are very much appreciated. Gives me some "food for thought" when I order more pomade.

Doing a Goggle Search on pomades, provide a great deal very interesting articles and products. The website pomade.com is well worth looking into.

Doing a Goggle Search on pomades, provide a great deal very interesting articles and products. The website pomade.com is well worth looking into.

+1

They also do free shipping CONUS. I was doing some price comparisons for one of my favorites - DAX High Life pomade and found that West Coast Shaving had better prices but I'm wondering if the shipping costs would offset the $4 difference per tin.

Top Bottom