What's new

The Real Cost Commercials / Do We Have To?

Yesterday, after a long day of work and baseball practices.... and not exactly feeling so great (flu-like symptoms).... I sit down at 9 pm with a bowl of cereal which was the first chance I had to eat anything since lunch. My stomach was off and I didn't really feel like eating anything, but I knew I needed to eat something or I wouldn't sleep worth a darn. So, I'm sitting there watching TV and this commercial by therealcost.gov comes on. It's digusting. A man trying to buy a pack of cigarettes grabs a pair of forceps and prys a tooth from his mouth so that the guy at the convenience store will sell him the pack. I'm sitting there with an upset stomach already, trying to eat, and then this thing comes on.

The most stomach turning aspect to this commercial is that there is a series of them, put out by the USFDA. Yours and my taxpayer dollars at work here. Ironically, one of these commercials depicts cigarettes as a "bully" that can make you do whatever it wants. What about a government that can use your money to tell you what to do..... and do it in a tasteless manner on top of everything else?

The Anti-tobacco campaign of the U.S. government is a pet peeve of mine. I'm not a regular smoker or tobacco user, but I've been known to enjoy one from time to time. Regardless of how much of the product I use, where does our government get off telling us what we can do with regard to our consumption of this product? The government is hypocritical in the sense that it acts like it wants to deter the use of products like tobacco or alcohol.... or the practice of gambling.... or whatever other vices you can think of..... yet, they tax it to the hilt and even have the state lotteries which is basically "organized gambling".

I realize the negative aspects of these products and that overdoing them can cause serious problems to people's lives..... but so can overdoing the taxation of a group of people. I guess I just resent that my money is going toward something like this.... and that it's done in such a tasteless manner. Quite bullying me around Uncle Sam.

Ben

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
In a similar yet unrelated note. We are battling an obesity epidemic that is costing us as a country billions and billions of dollars a year, and at the same time giving subsidies to wheat and corn growers who sell these products, most of which goes to cheap processed empty calorie foods which creates an obesity epidemic.

Our government tries to control every aspect of our life because clearly we're too stupid to do it on our own. What kills me about it is 90% of the time you see a politician talking about whatever subject he finds to be evil he's generally just spouting BS and doesn't really know anything about the topic at hand.

I haven't seen the commercials, but from your description it sounds like a valid use of my tax dollars. And if one life is saved, better still.

In a similar yet unrelated note. We are battling an obesity epidemic that is costing us as a country billions and billions of dollars a year, and at the same time giving subsidies to wheat and corn growers who sell these products, most of which goes to cheap processed empty calorie foods which creates an obesity epidemic.

It's also ironic that our government is fighting a battle not only against obesity, but also starvation and hunger.

Ben

I haven't seen the commercials, but from your description it sounds like a valid use of my tax dollars. And if one life is saved, better still.

I see this argument a lot.... "one life saved". How do we put a price on one life? What is the cost of ruining hundreds of thousands of lives by over taxation and frivolous spending? Don't get me wrong, I find more offense in these commercials in the way the message is transmitted rather than the actual message. Smoking is bad for you.... I get it. But, you've got to have your head in the sand if you don't realize that. Why do we have to spend even more money on the message and do it in such a tasteless fashion? The government treats us like idiots..... like we can't discern things for ourselves on our own. This is a primary example of that fact.

Ben

Ben, I appreciate your passion, but I respectfully disagree with most of what you've said. The problem here, is that my response is just going to veer into a political discussion, which I not what I'm interested in. So I will just move on.

Be well.

Ben, I appreciate your passion, but I respectfully disagree with most of what you've said. The problem here, is that my response is just going to veer into a political discussion, which I not what I'm interested in. So I will just move on.

Be well.

Well, I can understand that. It's not my mission in life to rail on our government.... but every so often a chord is struck that doesn't sit well with me. This case being one of them.

Ben

I realize the negative aspects of these products and that overdoing them can cause serious problems to people's lives..... but so can overdoing the taxation of a group of people. I guess I just resent that my money is going toward something like this.... and that it's done in such a tasteless manner. Quite bullying me around Uncle Sam.

Ben
Those two things are not equivalent.

The negative health and social costs of smoking are well understood. It is absolutely proper for the government to regulate a product that has huge negative social costs.

Probably best not to post on political topics.

These commercials are not aimed at the well-educated, such as yourself, Ben. These commercials are aimed at younger and low-income crowds that may not have been so fortunate to have learned the perils and health risks of using tobacco products.

Those two things are not equivalent.

The negative health and social costs of smoking are well understood. It is absolutely proper for the government to regulate a product that has huge negative social costs.

Probably best not to post on political topics.

You're correct here. I mostly just wanted to say my piece. I know "keeping politics out" is a common stance on B&B and I almost always adhere to this. I definitely would not bring up anything political outside of the Barbershop.

Sometimes a guy just has to vent. I realize we live in a divided country and 50% of the population is not going to see it my way.... and that's liable to start problems. Obviously I'd like to have a voice or I wouldn't have posted on this one..... but I don't expect others to agree. It's all very subjective.

Ben

Sometimes a guy just has to vent. I realize we live in a divided country and 50% of the population is not going to see it my way.... and that's liable to start problems. Obviously I'd like to have a voice or I wouldn't have posted on this one..... but I don't expect others to agree. It's all very subjective.

Ben
Understood. I think each of us can point to something that we find makes no sense or frustrates us . . . especially after a long day at work. Believe me Ben, I have a long list of items similar to the one you brought up.

Don't let the bastards wear you down!

Last edited:
Understood. I think each of us can point to something that we find makes no sense or frustrates us . . . especially after a long day at work. Believe me Ben, I have a long list of items similar to the one you brought up.

Don't let the bastards wear you down!

Thanks for the understanding my friend. :thumbup1:

Ben

I wouldn't touch this with a ten foot pole...

But if were talking 20 foot pole... :)

Like Owen said, no TV is the way to go. Choose movies, they're user selective...to a point.

I wouldn't touch this with a ten foot pole...

But if were talking 20 foot pole... :)

Like Owen said, no TV is the way to go. Choose movies, they're user selective...to a point.

I've lived my whole life watching TV and I'd say very little of it is worth watching period. These days, I spend about 30-45 minutes a day watching TV..... 99% of the time while I'm eating my evening snack. I like TCM and the History Channel primarily..... the rest is pretty bad. TCM doesn't have commercials BTW. :thumbup:

Ben

Top Bottom