What's new

The Rat Pack plus Johnny Carson

This is way before my time, and I am perfectly fine being wrong, but if memory serves correct they were doing a fund raiser in Saint Louis, Joey Bishop couldn't make it due to an injury and Carson stepped in.

Grew up watching those guys..... We loved them. They were each Icons on their own.... Then came the Rat Pack and they just became larger than life....:lol:

I grew up with that style of singing. Dean having his own show. Loved it. I really miss that type of singing. And of course I miss watching Johnny. Jay and David and all the rest don't come anywhere near to him in talent.

Sometimes I think that was the hey day of as Sinatra would say Las Vegas "Nev"...But maybe thats just the nostalgia in me. I do believe that none of the current hosts equal Carson.

Those guys were staples on TV when I was a kid, and I certainly miss Johnny's show, but it's only recently in my life that I've gained a real appreciation for the music of Martin, Sinatra, Davis and some of their contemporaries.

I enjoy a lot of different genres, and you'll find me listening to everything from country to old school punk, but there is a combination of serenity, depth of feeling and bitttersweetness that seems to be at home in this music, and it matches much of my current life.

When I hear something from the Ramones, I smile because I remember, when I hear Sinatra I smile because I understand.

Those were actually more troublesome times than these (race, war, sexism, etc.) but entertainers handled the troubles with far more grace than today's "reality TV" approach which seeks to aggravate them. Imagine Johnny's quip to Sammy today, and how much utter crap it would cause.

I loved watching Carson, as he managed to challenge touchy situations with a style that the censors couldn't suppress. I like John Stewart and to a lesser degree Steven Colbert, but they don't have to work that hard to get around the nearly non-extant censorship, so while they play the game well, the rules have been eased greatly.

What I find hilarious is that while it was a memorable performance of a swing/jazz song, it is about as bluesy as Amazing Grace. It's still a good piece, well performed. :001_smile

Those guys were staples on TV when I was a kid, and I certainly miss Johnny's show, but it's only recently in my life that I've gained a real appreciation for the music of Martin, Sinatra, Davis and some of their contemporaries.

I enjoy a lot of different genres, and you'll find me listening to everything from country to old school punk, but there is a combination of serenity, depth of feeling and bitttersweetness that seems to be at home in this music, and it matches much of my current life.

When I hear something from the Ramones, I smile because I remember, when I hear Sinatra I smile because I understand.

Hear, hear!

Top Bottom