What's new

The Rat Mobile

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
I bought what I thought was a pre loved car a few months back but turns out it was a rat ride.
It was time for a service, which I do myself. I opened up the area to expose the cabin filter, as it had a noisy fan and dropped the amount of air coming out of the vent on a long trip over the weekend. Holy Rat Nest.......old paperwork from the original owner in Aussie (car was imported to NZ), a sunglass case, plastic touching the fan (ahh there's the noise) and the remains of the offender, which looks to have expired a few years ago. What a mess and the rat riding rodent had also dislodged the filter.
Cleaned out the rubbish and the old dried flat rat. Gave it a vacuum clean and are running without a pollen filter for now.

Now I sure this is not new having rodents making a home in a car (it is for me though) but what I can't get my head around is how no one picked up something was dead and decaying in the air vent system of a newish car, it's a 2013 model. I'm picking no one has ever replaced the filter as there was a 2014 date on one of the papers with the owners name on it.
Fan is kicking out heaps of air now, quite and a new filter is on the way. Life is back in order.

Has anyone else had similar with rodent hitchhikers coming along for the ride.

Nah Mate. Get one of these for the car and you'll be right as rain.

horse.gif

He probably smelled something for about 2 weeks or less before the body became dried out. Maybe only a couple days. Depending on what time of year he might thought he hit something

No rats, but my wife unknowingly brought home a chipmunk home in her car one night. We didn't find out about it until the following day.
I heard a loud crash in the the garage and went to investigate, completely expecting to find the neighbor's cat again, but instead I found a small chipmunk going nuts trying to find a way out.
So I opened the door about 4 inches and went back inside. Never saw it again.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Well bred and bathed NZ rat. Had that been a NYC rat, he would have chewed up the wiring and smelled something awful, too.

Going but one of the pieces of paper it took in there I'm picking it was a Aussie rat. The original owner then imported it into NZ when he returned to live. It is possible though it was a dirty kiwi rat. :) I did chew a bit of plastic around the filter. That was most likely it downfall as the fan is right behind it.

He probably smelled something for about 2 weeks or less before the body became dried out. Maybe only a couple days. Depending on what time of year he might thought he hit something

If it was in Aussie I would think it would have fried very quickly in there.

No rats, but my wife unknowingly brought home a chipmunk home in her car one night. We didn't find out about it until the following day.
I heard a loud crash in the the garage and went to investigate, completely expecting to find the neighbor's cat again, but instead I found a small chipmunk going nuts trying to find a way out.
So I opened the door about 4 inches and went back inside. Never saw it again.

It would have seemed like a great place to rest until it could not get out. Glad it made it's escape with your help.

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
There's a rat in mi car what am I gonna go?
I'm gonna fix that rat that's what I'm gonna do,
I'm gonna fix that rat.

Now if anyone sees a dirty rat near my car let me know.
Rat, rat...rat on your neighbor.

Last edited:

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Sure it was a rat? Maybe it was the new Squirrel Hybrid model?

proxy.php

You may be right and it was tired of running the fan wheel. That means it was trying to get out not in.
Maybe there is still 5 left as the fan is working well now. :)

Only thing is it must be one small Squirrel, check out its work space.

fan.png

Top Bottom