What's new

The rarely discussed Derby USTA blade

I grabbed 20 Derby Extras when I started shaving ( 2009'ish ) because at the time they were sort of the accepted 'newbie' blade. Like you pointed out they seemed to come with most new razors, and the whole DE shaving Internet thingy was still sort of in its infancy and we didn't have 10-15 years of online knowledge back then like we do now. The Extra's were certainly OK, and they got the job done but as I started expanding my blade collection they got used less and less, and I never bothered to replace them when they ran out. I used one in the past year or so that I picked up somewhere and it was still OK'ish without being remarkable in any way. I have easy to shave whiskers so I get along with a wide band of blades so OK'ish just doesn't really make me jump in their corner with enthusiasm LOL.

The USTAs don't shave to me like the Extras I remember. I'll load an Extra up and compare just to be sure I'm not forgetting anything at some point since that is a goal of mine this year to shave with every blade I have in stock.

I also have the Derby Premiums. I've only used about 2 of them, and they were nice and pleasant shaves. Better than my recollection of the Extras as well. I'd have to try the Premiums side by side with the USTAs to make a comparison between them, but as far as my mind tells me now the USTAs seem slightly sharper.
Id agree. The Extras are just OK but nothing special. The Premiums are nice though.

I haven't shaved a lot over the long weekend so I took the USTA up against a full 3 days of whiskers. 2.5 passes later I have a BBS face. Still using it in my SLOC, but I may move it to my Slim Adjustable tomorrow to see how that razor matches up with it. Report to follow.

Top Bottom