What's new

The Radio Stinks!

Radio stinks because of programming more than anything else. When I was a kid, the playlist was what some nerd in the local studio thought sounded cool. We'd get unusual bands, sometimes local artists, sometimes album sides. My personal favorite as a kid, WPGU, I remember hearing "However Much I Booze" by the Who ON THE RADIO. Tell me, besides die-hard Who fans, who has even heard of that song?

During my 20s and early 30s, I had "Misunderstood" as my theme song. The lyrics pretty much summed up my attitude towards society and life in general. It was done by Pete Townsend and Ronnie Lane on the album "Rough Mix" separate from the rest of the The Who.

IMHO, The Who don't get enough attention, either when they were a current act or decades later. Their rock-opera "Tommy" was generations ahead of its time, and any of their other albums can stand alone as a classic.

During my 20s and early 30s, I had "Misunderstood" as my theme song. The lyrics pretty much summed up my attitude towards society and life in general. It was done by Pete Townsend and Ronnie Lane on the album "Rough Mix" separate from the rest of the The Who.

IMHO, The Who don't get enough attention, either when they were a current act or decades later. Their rock-opera "Tommy" was generations ahead of its time, and any of their other albums can stand alone as a classic.
That is a great album, I actually own a few copies and will continue to buy if I see them cheap.

In case you couldn't tell, I'm a huge The Who fan, always have been. It all started when I used to borrow my brothers tape of Greatest Hits (the Union Jack flag one) and walk to school with it on my Walkman at full blast.

I own too many copies of all their stuff on CD, Deluxed Editions, Super Deluxe, Bootleg live stuff, .flac and LP's to ever get through.

Luckily, the majority of my listening is now done on the German pressed box set from years ago called "Phases". I picked up a minty version on eBay last year for $100 shipped. It only encompasses their stuff with Moon, but that's the only stuff I listen to.

Last edited:

couldn't agree more

At work, we have to listen to pre-programmed music on the intercom, interspersed with commercials touting our current sales and promotional items.
This is the worst. Albeit, when I worked in Spencer's Gifts the music was a little bit better than most stores, it was still chock full of garbage. And the holiday covers were almost assuredly horrid.

I worked in a grocery store at one point, and I remember hearing "Tiny Dancer" and "Bennie and the Jets" on the radio and thought it was cool. But then in the next 4 days I heard them about 8 more times and had to stop listening to Elton John for a while.

The other day I was in the supermarket and heard surf music. And I don't mean The Beach Boys... I mean the instrumental stuff, a la Dick Dale. I had to stop and listen, and I wonder what station was playing.

I think I found a decent channel. It's a University one, not the strongest signal but the programming makes up for that.

I've heard stuff on there lately that you'd never hear on the big local stations but stuff I used to hear all the time on my favorite college station. And not just obscure bands but also reggae, funk, crazy covers of Hendrix and The Police as well as hearing The Who - The Seeker on the radio for the first time ever.

102.5 UMFM, you have my attention .

www.umfm.com/

We have a few good local radio stations that are refreshing to hear. Playing some jazz, blues, classical music instead of the repetitive teen beat or classic rock. When in the car I most often listen to news or talk radio. Unfortunately a few of the talk radio personalities are more repetitive than the Boston, Skynyrd, Zepplin playlists on classic rock stations....sometimes I wonder why they don't save their breath and just record snippets of their talking points to string together in different orders on different days.

49 posts in and nobody asked the big question. Why did you think it was a good idea to give the radio a couple splashes of The Veg?

I had Sirius for about 7 or 8 years. In that time I heard the entirety of their music catalog spanning from 1955-1995. The music variety isn't that great, about the only reason I kept the subscription was for the talk shows. After Sirius Patriot whittled the in house talent down to 3 guys and the rest was nationally syndicated stuff, I dropped it. Why should I pay for what I can listen to for free?

These days I do quite a bit of streaming. For music I have some Pandora stations. Talk radio is either over the air or streaming from an app. No money, no subscription, no problem.

These days I do quite a bit of streaming. For music I have some Pandora stations. Talk radio is either over the air or streaming from an app. No money, no subscription, no problem.
Streaming takes too big a bite out of my cellphone's data allowance, so I don't do it very much. I've also learned to run my Google Maps in GPS-only mode, otherwise I take a big hit on data when using that, too.

Mostly, adding the network function to the Maps app just brings up traffic info, and tells me about nearby restaurants which I don't need to know.

Top Bottom