What's new

The R41 isn’t that aggressive

Today I finally managed to try a new R41 that I’ve had laying around. For reference I’ve been here long enough to remember when BST was filled with the 2011 variant that had given it the reputation it has.

I stupidly start my shave with a week old light blue Gillette platinum, quickly realize that isn’t going to work and put in a new Polsilver.

I’m initially surprised because the blade gap doesn’t seem that intimidating. My 1.15 WR2 scared me more looking at it.

I do a 2 pass shave starting WTG instead of my standard 1 pass ATG to get familiar. I was attentive to use a light touch and be observant of the angle but still was an early sloppyish shave.

Overall, impressed and wasn’t what I was expecting. I had one weeper (was expecting more) however my skin shows no irritation and a really close shave. Definitely expect a great shaver with more experience with it.

Its picky about its angle though in regards to being smooth and has a smaller sweet spot. Just need some more experience handling it. Only downfall which compared to my other razors may make me sell it. Nice to say I had the experience but it faces stiff competition.

I generally prefer mild razors and have sensitive skin. I do have a bit of experience and thought it’s time to try these “aggressive” razors and see what the fuss is about.

I’d recommend anyone with a developed technique to try one. It’s not so much about sensitive or tough skin as it is your ability to handle the instrument. This razor isn’t aggressive so much as ”efficient“ and can bite if you’re careless.

I have posted this before...I've only been using DE razors for about a year. About 8 months in I decided to give the R41 a try and got one from the BST. I was intimidated by the "aggressive" reputation but decided to try it anyway. I am very glad I did; it's a very efficient razor that works well for me. I liked it so much I got the stainless steel version.

I have posted this before...I've only been using DE razors for about a year. About 8 months in I decided to give the R41 a try and got one from the BST. I was intimidated by the "aggressive" reputation but decided to try it anyway. I am very glad I did; it's a very efficient razor that works well for me. I liked it so much I got the stainless steel version.
Hey StewB, did that stainless R41 feel like a sledgehammer?

There are two versions after the 2011. The first is 2013. Most users now still think that currently the 2013 is sold. Which is not the case. 4-5 years ago they made new molds where the bottom plate and the cap were made wider, which leads to less exposure compared to 2013. Hence more and more new R41 users say almost every week "It is not that aggressive".
Details here:

Hey StewB, did that stainless R41 feel like a sledgehammer?
No sir, great razor IMO. Supposedly the 2011 is quite aggressive but the 2013 or later cast metal and stainless steel version is a really good design. According to Mr. ivan_101 there are multiple versions of the 2013+ R41 with some slight differences between them. With that said I don't know which particular cast metal R41 head I had (I sold it), but whatever it was it worked really well.

I am guessing from your question that you don't like it? 😀

No sir, great razor IMO. Supposedly the 2011 is quite aggressive but the 2013 or later cast metal and stainless steel version is a really good design. According to Mr. ivan_101 there are multiple versions of the 2013+ R41 with some slight differences between them. With that said I don't know which particular cast metal R41 head I had (I sold it), but whatever it was it worked really well.

I am guessing from your question that you don't like it? 😀
Thanks StewB for your feedback….No sir, the contrary indeed. I love the R41, but have never owned that R41 GS Stainless Steel version.

I had a 2011 R41 back in the day but sold it not long after buying it. Id love to get another one but finding an original that someone is willing go part with is very hard to find without someone wanting triple What its worth.

I attempted again today, this one’s going in my BST pile. Someone’s going to get a deal. It requires too much attention to angle to be smooth.
I don't know how old yours is but, I'd try it a few more times. Experience for me over time has really changed my views on it.

Great razor for a new wet shaver? IMHO - HECK NO!

Great razor for most with a few shaves in? Probably not. Certainly not for me.

After a few shaves, maybe once a week, with different whisker growth and different times of the day with different life pressures to speed up or slow down my shave, at this point, it has a solid position as a "not everyday" razor.

As my time and experience with it grows, it becomes an easier less risky shave for me. Still not a razor I would want to use in a hurry or when under time stress, or before an important 'event in my life', it certainly isn't as intimidatingly aggressive as it was in the beginning.

While not a requirement today, in times past, most people learned to use a straight razor without major blood loss. Safety razors certainly lowered the bar of entry but, most men could and did use a straight razor without tragic results. An R41 compared to this may not be a modern cartridge with a lubricating strip experience but, it also isn't anywhere close to what our ancestors used daily!

I don't know how old yours is but, I'd try it a few more times. Experience for me over time has really changed my views on it.
only a few months old. Bought it new.

Aggressiveness isn’t the issue. It just requires far too much attention to angle for a smooth experience. There’s a point where I’m willing to keep razors for a different experience but this passes being enjoyable.

Interesting...for me the R41 works well steep and doesn't seem to be picky about angle at all. It "just works" (for me, anyway).

I have the 2011 version of the R41 which I find to be pretty aggressive. My main gripe with it is that it allows a lot of blade flex and chatter because of the design of the narrow top cap. Occasionally the stars align and I get an awesome shave with it but more often than not the shave is somewhat rough because of blade flex and chatter. Consequently I hardly ever use it. I might buy a current version of the R41 just to see how different they are.

OK, I'll bite.

Subjectively, I agree. Objectively, it depends.

Like you, I don't find the the R41 particularly challenging. Kinda harsh feeling at it's most effective angle but not dangerous. As you say, take care or it will bite you.

However, you and I have been at this a while, haven't we? I'll presume that you've long since acclimated to the unique demands of dragging a sharp bit of steel across your face. More than enough water under the bridge to know almost instinctively how to drive one of these things, no?

Despite how satisfying it is for us salty vets to whip an R41 around the face with grace and confidence, it is not a beginner's implement. By any measure. It is simply too much for someone with little to no experience.

I can only imagine what would ensue if I handed my son an R41 for his first shave in a couple year's time. Probably something to do with him in the emergency room and his mother never speaking to me again. 😝

For newer wet shavers, something like the Muhle Rocca or Edwin Jagger 3one6 would be worlds better than anything similar to an R41 IMHO. I still suggest a EJ DE89 or Muhle R89 twin or an old-school Gillette Tech.

The Fatip Piccolo would be an awesome choice for someone with smaller hands who is still a growin' boy! It is still a good choice for this old man!

Despite having tried some of the more expensive razors on the market, the R41 (2011 / 2013 etcc) remains one of my favorite non daily razor since many years . I remember that the exposure of the blade can also change according to the blade size . the Kai for example are slightly wider than others.
the fact remains that there are not many razors capable of cutting such long beards ( video attached )
For sure a razor that requires experience ( and a really good sharp blade ) and not suitable for those who want everything at once.

Top Bottom