What's new

The Quick Hook, Instant Gratification, or Patient?

When you acquire a new razor how many shaves before it stays or goes? Too often I think that we do not give a new tool enough time. I often see razors on BST for sale and the comment like new "only used 2-3 times". I think that we may abandon a new razor too soon in part because we have several other razors that we enjoy using and the new acquisition just does not get enough use in a large den in order to understand and become familiar with its characteristics.

I read dozens of reviews before I decide to purchase and I only purchase a razor that has a majority of favorable posts and yet after a couple of not so hot shaves with the new razor I am checking to see if it has been longer than 14 days since my last post so that I can post on BST and sell it. However, I think that I am getting smarter, and definitely getting older (I refuse to purchase lifetime warranties when offered, diminishing value at this point).

Example: In November I received my machined Blackbird and after one shave gave it a thumbs-up review. Although I got a good shave and gave it a good review I did not like the additional blade feel vs. my Timeless Ti and others in the den. I went to the Blackbird a few more times with different blades and still was not thrilled with the blade feel but I had kept it in the den because I love the brand (customer service, build quality, and it is a looker especially in the machined finish, and the shave was really close). There are times when you just want a particular razor to work.

This morning I decided to give the Bird it's final shot before giving it up for adoption. I decided to do a shave off with my Karve "D" plate vs the Bird. I selected the Karve because it is hands down one of the smoothest modern shavers I have ever owned and would it would put the Bird at a serious disadvantage in the smoothness department so that I could justify selling the big bad Bird. With the Karve, you pick a blade, lather up and get it done without much thought throughout the shave. I shaved my left side with my Karve and a Gillette Platinum blade. The Karve gave me a smooth DFS ++.

The Bird shaved my right side also with a new Gillette Platinum blade. I got the same BBS that I got the first time that I had shaved with the Bird in November but this time (months later) the shave was smooth, not as smooth as the Karve but smooth enough that I would call it very comfortable. The excessive blade feel was gone and I would say that the Bird this morning had minimal blade feel. The Blackbird finally felt good on my face and the shave was significantly closer than the Karve. I still own too many modern razors but the Blackbird not only stays home but jumps to the top of my modern shavers. So now I can disagree with my wife and state that I am patient (maybe I should just stay quiet).

Capture.JPG

When you acquire a new razor how many shaves before it stays or goes? Too often I think that we do not give a new tool enough time. I often see razors on BST for sale and the comment like new "only used 2-3 times". I think that we may abandon a new razor too soon in part because we have several other razors that we enjoy using and the new acquisition just does not get enough use in a large den in order to understand and become familiar with its characteristics.

I read dozens of reviews before I decide to purchase and I only purchase a razor that has a majority of favorable posts and yet after a couple of not so hot shaves with the new razor I am checking to see if it has been longer than 14 days since my last post so that I can post on BST and sell it. However, I think that I am getting smarter, and definitely getting older (I refuse to purchase lifetime warranties when offered, diminishing value at this point).

Example: In November I received my machined Blackbird and after one shave gave it a thumbs-up review. Although I got a good shave and gave it a good review I did not like the additional blade feel vs. my Timeless Ti and others in the den. I went to the Blackbird a few more times with different blades and still was not thrilled with the blade feel but I had kept it in the den because I love the brand (customer service, build quality, and it is a looker especially in the machined finish, and the shave was really close). There are times when you just want a particular razor to work.

This morning I decided to give the Bird it's final shot before giving it up for adoption. I decided to do a shave off with my Karve "D" plate vs the Bird. I selected the Karve because it is hands down one of the smoothest modern shavers I have ever owned and would it would put the Bird at a serious disadvantage in the smoothness department so that I could justify selling the big bad Bird. With the Karve, you pick a blade, lather up and get it done without much thought throughout the shave. I shaved my left side with my Karve and a Gillette Platinum blade. The Karve gave me a smooth DFS ++.

The Bird shaved my right side also with a new Gillette Platinum blade. I got the same BBS that I got the first time that I had shaved with the Bird in November but this time (months later) the shave was smooth, not as smooth as the Karve but smooth enough that I would call it very comfortable. The excessive blade feel was gone and I would say that the Bird this morning had minimal blade feel. The Blackbird finally felt good on my face and the shave was significantly closer than the Karve. I still own too many modern razors but the Blackbird not only stays home but jumps to the top of my modern shavers. So now I can disagree with my wife and state that I am patient (maybe I should just stay quiet).

Great post!! It always takes me awhile to ‘dial in’ new hardware.

Bottom line (for me also): Give things a fair trial before moving on!! :thumbup: :thumbup:

Great post!! It always takes me awhile to ‘dial in’ new hardware.

Bottom line (for me also): Give things a fair trial before moving on!! :thumbup: :thumbup:
+1, I always shave for at least a week with a new razor before I pass judgement. Feel you need a minimum of a week before you get the proper technique dialed in. Purchased a GC 84P and after first shave thought I found nirvana but after a week found it too aggressive for me on a daily basis. You just never know until you give it a good run.

Top Bottom