What's new

The Quest: DFS + 0 Irritation or Ingrown Hairs

Opuntia smells much the same as Desert Vetiver. Slightly milder, slightly sweeter but the difference is small.

I havent tried 70th yet but that will, most like, be next.

SV 70th is essentially acqua di Gio cologne in a shave soap. That aquatic scent that has been popular since the early 2000s. I think it is well done, though, slightly saltier than true acqua di Gio if that makes sense. I love acqua di Gio so it is a wonderful scent for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
SV 70th is essentially acqua di Gio cologne in a shave soap. That aquatic scent that has been popular since the early 2000s. I think it is well done, though, slightly saltier than true acqua di Gio if that makes sense. I love acqua di Gio so it is a wonderful scent for me.

I dont use any colognes so I have no idea what they smell like, but, I have been looking for a nice, fairly strong, aquatic scent so it might be just what I'm looking for. Thanks, Joel.

Been awhile since I posted again. Used the Blackland Sabre today, soap was SV desert vetiver 4.3, brush was my TurnNShave quarter moon, and aftershave my 50:50 mix of masters/gabels bay rum. Light splash of dickinsons witch hazel before the aftershave. I did use the nick stick on some lightly red areas just in case they were weepers sprouting up as I was in a hurry but almost no zing from that. I didn’t actually see a single weeper today! Possibly best shave I’ve ever had.

Sorry [mention]Cal [/mention], couldn’t use the gfbt for another shave, had to go to something that worked before another experiment shave.

This was a DFS+ or BBS nearly everywhere shave. Amazingly comfy and close shave. Finally found the correct angles on everything and managed very little pressure. I think this will be my primary daily driver. May go back and retry out the MMOC. But man this Sabre gives a great shave. Enjoy the shaves all!

So, I blame Jim @Chan Eil Whiskers … I asked for an Above the Tie X1 Slant for Christmas and Santa came through this year. He had been talking it up this fall the couple times I dropped in to lurk, so of course it had to go on the list. Had to celebrate late, so just got a shave in with it today. Just realized it’s been over a year since I posted here, I’ve probably been using the Blackland Sabre L2 every other day or every three days since that last post. I occasionally use other razors but none do quite as well for me as the Sabre did. Today’s shave may have changed that…

Set up was the X1 with the stock atlas handle and Proline P-30 blade. Barrister and Mann vespers soap/aftershave, TurnNShave Quartermoon brush. Used my normal dickinsons witch hazel after the shave, before the aftershave. I’ve been having to use alum lately if I have any weepers as clubman seems to have stopped making their Nick Stick. I didn’t use alum today though :).

Excellent shave. I was in a slight rush. One pass XTG/ATG, buffing the whole way. Missed a whisker or two on my left chin but not surprised with just one pass. Very close, very smooth the whole way. No aggression to speak of. Much lighter than my gen 1 colonial general in stainless steel, seemed a bit more efficient as well, I didn’t notice the blade as much in the X-1, almost no or nearly no blade feel. Almost like it has completely neutral blade exposure instead of slightly positive which was my assumption. More efficient than the Blackland Sabre. Comfort seemed similar. The neck is my usual trouble spot, almost always have a few weepers there due to how the whiskers grow. None this morning. Might be a fluke. Might be that I’m going to absolutely love this razor. Time will tell.

Top Bottom