What's new

The QUALITY of various brushes..??

Perusing the internet I see all sorts of "perfect Badger"...."silvertip Badger"...and about any other adjective used to express badger quality that there is. My basic question is this...

Take a retail dollar figure...lets say $135..???..or whatever...and stay close to that dollar amount is there really jack squat between BRANDS of brushes. IS a $175 Omega so close in exact quality as a $175 Simpson..and as a $175 dollar Jagger..??? Take any amount you wish...I see some retailing for $250 for example...and stay close to the same amount. It makes a guy wonder.???

I'm not sure I really know what you're trying to ask. Do you think there should only be one manufacturer that we all should buy from or something?

I think he's trying to understand whats the difference between all the brushes from these manufacturers. Each manufacturer has many different brushes and the price ranges vary alot. Brushes have been the most difficult part of switching to wet shaving...its been hard for me to figure out brush is good for me.

Lets break it down to the very basics....:a52: Lets say I want a top quality brush and want it to perform as a high dollar brush should.! I'll set my imaginary price at $175 US bucko's. Now...staying close to that $175 ( of course plus or minus say $10 ) is it actually going to matter what BRAND of brush I buy? Meaning is a Jagger as good ( quality-wise and performance-wise) as say a Simpson or a Shavemac or a Kent or an Omega...etc..etc.

ORRRR does it seem that a certain BRAND is FAR superior to most or all other brands??

If I give you $300,000 price point, can you tell based on what you'd decide what to buy - Lamborghini or Ferrari, or maybe Bentley? Which one is 'better' than the other two? Okey, let's pick a better example. If you have $25,000 to spend on a car, which one you're going to choose - Honda Accord or Toyota Camry? Maybe you can make your selection based on fuel eqonomy, comfort, accelelration, legroom, or something totally else, for example the color your wife chooses for you. Good luck with that.

If I give you $300,000 price point, can you tell based on what you'd decide what to buy - Lamborghini or Ferrari, or maybe Bentley? Which one is 'better' than the other two? Okey, let's pick a better example. If you have $25,000 to spend on a car, which one you're going to choose - Honda Accord or Toyota Camry? Maybe you can make your selection based on fuel eqonomy, comfort, accelelration, legroom, or something totally else, for example the color your wife chooses for you. Good luck with that.

Nissan Altima!

Yes, there will be a difference. One brush may be softer the other more "bristly." One may have more loft than another. One may have a different type of handle. It is not that one is better than another - just different to suit differences in tastes. It's not a question of quality - it's a difference in the way they perform.

I would guess that given a set amount of money and in a perfect market place, you would end up with the same "quality" of brush irrespective of manufacturer. By "quality" I mean material, workmanship, packaging, hair grade, etc. However, how each manufacturer elects to design and to use that material and workmanship in a brush is going to vary. Handle design and weight will vary; knot density, shape, width, depth and loft will vary. Undoubtedly each manufacturer will wish to design each of their brushes with certain uses and performance features in mind. So for your hypothetical $175 you will be looking at some real differences in shaving performance from each one of your "quality" brushes. Hope that makes sense.

Check this out to understand what the different grades of bristle are
http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/Shave_Brush_Hair_Grades

There is some consistency that price goes up as the grade of hair goes up, but...... quality of materials and construction, finish, size of the knot, density of the knot (ie how much hair is in it) etc all play into the price. And, of course, brand names go for higher prices than lesser known names!

Check this out to understand what the different grades of bristle are
http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/Shave_Brush_Hair_Grades

There is some consistency that price goes up as the grade of hair goes up, but...... quality of materials and construction, finish, size of the knot, density of the knot (ie how much hair is in it) etc all play into the price. And, of course, brand names go for higher prices than lesser known names!

I already understand that part.

I would guess that given a set amount of money and in a perfect market place, you would end up with the same "quality" of brush irrespective of manufacturer. By "quality" I mean material, workmanship, packaging, hair grade, etc. However, how each manufacturer elects to design and to use that material and workmanship in a brush is going to vary. Handle design and weight will vary; knot density, shape, width, depth and loft will vary. Undoubtedly each manufacturer will wish to design each of their brushes with certain uses and performance features in mind. So for your hypothetical $175 you will be looking at some real differences in shaving performance from each one of your "quality" brushes. Hope that makes sense.

OK john. I got ya and sure each manufacturer will incorporate their own ideas..otherwise you might as well have just ONE brush maker..period. I was just wondering is any particular brand stood out in front of the rest as far as quality went or if some were dead last quality-wise...mainly.

Yes, there will be a difference. One brush may be softer the other more "bristly." One may have more loft than another. One may have a different type of handle. It is not that one is better than another - just different to suit differences in tastes. It's not a question of quality - it's a difference in the way they perform.

But there IS a difference in quality! As far as performance goes..that will vary of course and THEN users preferences enter in additionally. BUT there still is a difference in quality of the build...for if there wasnt then why buy anything other than the $9.95 special from Sally's..???

What I would make my decision on is data that stated which brand was the BEST BUILT. Not the "best" economy...nor the best flash..nor best. ( fill in the blank) I asked about the BEST QAULITY CONSTRUCTION....and Ive recieved a lot of "answers".?? from people that have no idea which MIGHT be the best constructed brush. Maybe because of differing construction methods there is no ONE single BEST...but there ought to be a "best" 2 or 3 brushes...that cost less than a $300,000 price point! Ya think?

What I would make my decision on is data that stated which brand was the BEST BUILT. Not the "best" economy...nor the best flash..nor best. ( fill in the blank) I asked about the BEST QAULITY CONSTRUCTION....and Ive recieved a lot of "answers".?? from people that have no idea which MIGHT be the best constructed brush. Maybe because of differing construction methods there is no ONE single BEST...but there ought to be a "best" 2 or 3 brushes...that cost less than a $300,000 price point! Ya think?

What I think based on your comments is that all the straight and metaphoric answers you've got so far have been futile and haven't conveyed anything to you. Aside from size, density, type of hair, density, backbone, flow thorugh, splay, softness, do you think there's a difference in the quality construction between a custom built 18 mm Shavemac Silvertip for $70 and a custom built 28 mm Shavemac D01 2-band for over $200? You're trying to ignore the YMMV factor and try to find an imaginary objective meaning which can justify a certain price point. Once again, good luck with it.

Top Bottom