What's new

Fenix Lights and Lasers on our Lizard Tongues.

One of my co-workers just added a laser to his Ruger. To me the LCP is a close range oh **** point and shoot pistol. It is not the type of pistol you are going to want in a gun battle at 15 or 20 yards.

Do y'all think that type of pistol is worth spending the money for a laser sight? I am sure I will get mixed reviews but I just don't see much benefit.

I think laser sights are for those too lazy to learn proper shooting techniques. It does however, make a great aiming point for your opposition as that beam leads right back...to you! I discourage their use among students I have trained.

Check your mileage to Bruni, Texas.
It’s about 2 hours from my front door.

At the Eastern cities limits go 6 miles south. On satellite map you should see a house, storage, covered area, cattle pen, and a couple of bunk houses.

1268.3 miles. Yup, were practically neighbors. I may need a days head start.

I've always heard that the Crimson Trace grips absorb recoil on a S&W J-frame and always wanted to try one. I've got Hogue Bantam grips on my 442 and they work well. Of course I'd also like to try out the laser at 5-7 yards.

I've always heard that the Crimson Trace grips absorb recoil on a S&W J-frame and always wanted to try one. I've got Hogue Bantam grips on my 442 and they work well. Of course I'd also like to try out the laser at 5-7 yards.

Instead of trying to locate a red dot on your target try focusing on your front sight instead. .38 revolvers really don't have much recoil in a steel J-frame. YMMV with the air-weight and titanium frames.

Instead of trying to locate a red dot on your target try focusing on your front sight instead. .38 revolvers really don't have much recoil in a steel J-frame. YMMV with the air-weight and titanium frames.

What if you cannot focus on your front sight?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What if you cannot focus on your front sight?

If your front sight is on your target you'll hit it. Not a precise hit...but you'll hit it.
It doesn't matter if the front sight looks blurry or not. This is something you need to prove to yourself on the range. It is quicker to shoot putting the front sight on the target than having to find a red dot somewhere on the target. Lasers are a crutch.

If your front sight is on your target you'll hit it. Not a precise hit...but you'll hit it.
It doesn't matter if the front sight looks blurry or not. This is something you need to prove to yourself on the range. It is quicker to shoot putting the front sight on the target than having to find a red dot somewhere on the target. Lasers are a crutch.

At most close quarters, I agree. In self defense, instinctive is more realistic. At a distance though....

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Long long ago in a land far far away I was taught about sighting different guns. Not every maker designed their sights to be used the same way. Basically there were three different sight pictures and you really needed to know which picture the manufacturer had in mind to get the results the manufacturer intended. The basics as I seem to remember were where the POA sat above the lined up front & rear sights and was called "Dotting the i"; another had the top of the sights lined up with the midpoint of the target and was called the "Target Sight" while the third, and most common on the surplus guns available in my price range was called "Combat Sights" and where the POA sat behind the center of the front sight. Your sights line up with the tops aligned and totally covering your POA. The result at least for me was POA = POI.

Later I was making a little more money and could afford to buy Sig Sauers only to find that the P series Sigs were all sighted at the factory for the third version, the "Combat Sight". Other folk I knew complained about the sights on their Sigs and how they needed to buy different sizes to get their gun to shoot on target. In discussion it seemed they had all been taught to "Dot the i" so their shots were always way low. Just changing the sight picture worked better and was a bunch cheaper.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
Long long ago in a land far far away I was taught about sighting different guns. Not every maker designed their sights to be used the same way. Basically there were three different sight pictures and you really needed to know which picture the manufacturer had in mind to get the results the manufacturer intended. The basics as I seem to remember were where the POA sat above the lined up front & rear sights and was called "Dotting the i"; another had the top of the sights lined up with the midpoint of the target and was called the "Target Sight" while the third, and most common on the surplus guns available in my price range was called "Combat Sights" and where the POA sat behind the center of the front sight. Your sights line up with the tops aligned and totally covering your POA. The result at least for me was POA = POI.

Later I was making a little more money and could afford to buy Sig Sauers only to find that the P series Sigs were all sighted at the factory for the third version, the "Combat Sight". Other folk I knew complained about the sights on their Sigs and how they needed to buy different sizes to get their gun to shoot on target. In discussion it seemed they had all been taught to "Dot the i" so their shots were always way low. Just changing the sight picture worked better and was a bunch cheaper.

That is so funny, when I bought my P239 a guy I knew who was a big SIG lover taught me that.

At most close quarters, I agree. In self defense, instinctive is more realistic. At a distance though....

Combat shooting for a civilian is not "at a distance". 21 feet or less - the distance where more than 90% of defensive shootings take place. You don't engage a guy whose across the street...just the guy who's trying to kill or maim you - and that's an up close and personal activity. You need ranged accuracy? Get a rifle. There's a lot of misinformation out there about what folks need to have and use on the street. Keep it simple. Buy a pistol and get good with it. A J-frame Smith and Wesson is much more accurate than the man using it. Take that to the bank. I know a guy that CONSISTENTLY shoots head shots on silhouettes at 100 yards with stock J-frame revolvers. He carries 3 or 4 and never reloads - just draws the next revolver. The man is a private detective in Pennsylvania and one of my most memorable bad-sasses. I got my first concealed carry license in Detroit more than 40 years ago and have carried firearms ever since and taught others to do the same. If you go to the range and your target looks like you used a shotgun? Work on your grip, sight picture, and the strength in your hands and arms. Folks forget that muscular strength is important in shooting accuracy. Those little grip master devices can work wonders in tightening up your groups at the range. Most folks having issues look for easy fixes but the reality is they just need more QUALITY range time. Shooting ability is a perishable skill. Hope that helps.

Top Bottom