What's new

Fenix Lights and Lasers on our Lizard Tongues.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
I can't see walking around with tape over my dominant eye all the time. I wanna shoot the way I'd have to shoot when presented with an unsuspected threat in the real world.

This officer swears it works. Once you train your eye you can go back to looking out of both. I like your thinking, I will go back to closing one eye shooting at a distance.

Scott, I have the same issue of cross eye dominance and tend to pull my shots left. I also shoot both eyes open unless I'm trying to make a longer range precision shot. Then I'll close one eye.

I shoot both eyes open, but dominate eye is my strong side. Except...in the dark when trying to columnate my SRO. My left eye might see the dot first and will lock on. It’s quite annoying.

I need to get tritium sites so I can acquire my sights quickly in the dark.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
No doubt it works on the range, in fact, I have done it while shooting long range rifle aiming with my right eye. I have a mild facial paralysis from an old surgery that makes it difficult to hold my right open for long periods of time while closing my left eye. When shooting F-class 20 round strings, I get to the point I can barely keep my right eye open halfway through the string. So I would shoot both eyes open but use a blinder for the left eye. Then I had no trouble keeping the right eyelid open.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I can't see walking around with tape over my dominant eye all the time. I wanna shoot the way I'd have to shoot when presented with an unsuspected threat in the real world.

Also, I think being left eye dominate and shooting right hand Weaver, would be more difficult then shooting right hand Isosceles and then just moving the pistol away from the right eye and centering them in the middle of the face? I would think it would help the left dominate eye and using both eyes open?

While I shoot right handed and I am right eye dominate, I am beginning to notice my vision, project a double front sight picture at 25 yards with both eyes open. So I have begun shooting at 25 yards or more with one eye closed which brings the front sight post back into a singular focus. Once I move in towards the 20- 15 yard mark, I'm good again with both eyes open.

The lens in the human eye, which is located behind the iris, has a group of very small muscles called the ciliary body. These muscles which contract and relax act as a type of shutter which helps direct light and focus on images at varying distances.

As we get older, these muscles of the lens get weaker and the ability to focus at distance deteriorates. I'm sure, the amount of this deterioration can be more or less, depending on a whole host of varying factors, age, health, genetics, etc, etc. All I know for sure, is my eyes are not focusing like they used too, and images at distance are really becoming blurry.

Last edited:

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
My other issue is I am cross eyed dominate. At 54 I am teaching myself to shoot with both eyes open. I move the pistol left so I can focus with my dominate eye but I also pull everything left. A cop I know said to tape over the lens of my dominate eye. That way both eyes are open but you can only see out of your right. I am going to stick with moving the gun over for now.
Scott, I have the same issue of cross eye dominance and tend to pull my shots left. I also shoot both eyes open unless I'm trying to make a longer range precision shot. Then I'll close one eye.

As with you, Gents, I'm also cross eye dominant. I always shoot with both eyes open. Instead of bringing your pistols over to your dominant eye, just give your head a slight five degree turn to the right. It's a lot easier, and more comfortable to slightly shift your head, opposed to having to shift your pistol, arm, and torso over to your dominant eye.

OkieStubble

As with you, Gents, I'm also cross eye dominant. I always shoot with both eyes open. Instead of bringing your pistols over to your dominant eye, just give your head a slight five degree turn to the right. It's a lot easier, and more comfortable to slightly shift your head, opposed to having to shift your pistol, arm, and torso over to your dominant eye.

Question: Would shooting Isosceles with the pistol centered in the middle of the face between both eyes work as well as canting the face 5 degrees to the right?

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
Question: Would shooting Isosceles with the pistol centered in the middle of the face between both eyes work as well as canting the face 5 degrees to the right?

When in a true isosceles stance, chanting the face is not effective. I shoot with a isosceles/Weaver hybrid type of stance when shooting with two hands though. Canting the head (to me) makes one handed shooting feel far more natural though.

OkieStubble

When in a true isosceles stance, chanting the face is not effective. I shoot with a isosceles/Weaver hybrid type of stance when shooting with two hands though. Canting the head (to me) makes one handed shooting feel far more natural though.

I suppose it wouldn't help with a modified. Kinda funny how people say, modified Weaver or modified Isosceles. A modified Isosceles is just canting a little towards your strong side shooting hand. And a modified Weaver, is just canting a little away from your strong side shooting hand. Both of these modified's probably end up in the same postiion, they should just create a new name for that position imo. :)

Talk to your eye doctors. Some of them can really help. They are often athletes or sportsmen. A lot of them have the same problems.

There are also fancy contacts out there that are available. They can fix a lot more issues now.

Talk to your eye doctors. Some of them can really help. They are often athletes or sportsmen. A lot of them have the same problems.

There are also fancy contacts out there that are available. They can fix a lot more issues now.

I’ve looked at contacts, but they halo on me. I want to see if they’ve gotten better for my prescription with astigmatism.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
I suppose it wouldn't help with a modified. Kinda funny how people say, modified Weaver or modified Isosceles. A modified Isosceles is just canting a little towards your strong side shooting hand. And a modified Weaver, is just canting a little away from your strong side shooting hand. Both of these modified's probably end up in the same postiion, they should just create a new name for that position imo. :)

Not to derail this thread, but from about 7:30-10:30 is pretty much how I've been shooting lately. I just noticed that it does make me a slightly broader target though.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member

Also, just to clarify, I shift my head on a horizontal plane. Canting angle is referred to on a vertical plane.

Wow. Geometry, physiology, technology...
This thread has run the gamut for sure.
My humble contribution:
Rifle or shotgun shooting-I am right handed, so I am aiming with my right eye; especially if there is a scope involved. Go figure.
Self defense pistol shooting-"Speed Rock". Possibly all you may need in a deadly force scenario. No sights required. Who practices this one?
Recreational pistol shooting-Whatever suits your fancy. It's just for fun.
Now back to our regularly scheduled program.

OkieStubble

My humble contribution:
Rifle or shotgun shooting-I am right handed, so I am aiming with my right eye; especially if there is a scope involved. Go figure.
Self defense pistol shooting-"Speed Rock". Possibly all you may need in a deadly force scenario. No sights required. Who practices this one?

Party pooper...

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
My humble contribution:
I used to practice that quite a bit. Also shooting from a retention position, also shooting with my off hand on the "head" of a silhouette target simulating a palm strike to the face as I'd shoot from close retention, then backing away rapidly while still shooting the target. Such shenanigans are not allowed at my current range, unfortunately.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"

I propose the " I weave" which describes the motion of my front sight perfectly!

My opinion: Defensive handguns should be considered point-and-shoot close-range weapons, and would most probably be used in reaction scenarios. I doubt I would personally be able to take the time to spot the dot and confirm it's on target before squeezing the trigger. Adrenaline, movement, lighting, clothing, etc., all have to be in check to see that little laser, so I just don't find much value in it away from the range (but I do acknowledge that it could be easily visible if the conditions are just right). I also think laser sights could expose the shooter to liability in court if something/someone other than the intended target is hit. "How did you accidentally shoot a child with a laser on your gun?"

Top Bottom