What's new

Fenix Lights and Lasers on our Lizard Tongues.

I don’t think giving up your position is real world, unless it’s a combat situation. If you cannot be seen, you’ve got time to get out of Dodge.

If you can be seen, it doesn’t matter. If you do give up your position, you’re shooting and your gun flashes would betray you. That’s what instructors tell me anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
They can really be useful for somebody who is handicapped or has a disability. I saw a gentleman at my local range use one because he had an injury where he couldn't bring his arms up high enough to use the sights properly. I also saw a blind gentleman in a wheelchair use one. It was fairly impressive. He had a range partner with him and the laser was to help let the partner know where he was aiming incase any adjustments needed to be made. After the gentlemen left, the RSO explained to me that the blind gentleman had been mugged a couple of times as a result of his handicaps, which is why he started carrying. The RSO also mentioned that the gentleman was surprisingly accurate up to about five yards out. He said it was probably due to muscle memory from lots of training and good spacial skills.

Great post Erik! Everyone posting have made excellent arguments and valid points for and against lasers.

I think both sides of the discussion are correct depending on the perimeters and guidelines of use. There are many types and sizes of guns and there are many different types of situations and people which can make the need for a laser very beneficial just as there are many situations where they are not.

Have IR lasers with night vision goggles worked for soldiers on an active battlefield? Most definitely.

Would it seem futile, running a combat scenario with a small pocket pistol and attached laser? Absolutely.

So while the soldiers rifle is already accurate without the laser, can the laser still improve the soldiers accuracy?

And while the small pocket pistol would still be a no go for the fast paced combat scenario, could a laser help that pocket pistol to be more steady in the hands of it’s shooter?

Those who say that pulling the trigger is going to make it flinch any way, do these same people with this opinion still believe the age old saying of,

“aim small miss small?” :)

Yes, the pocket pistol can still flinch and jump. And yes, the bullet probably won’t go exactly in the same place as the red dot from the laser is positioned.

However, if we are only debating the facts and truths of strictly staying within the perimeters of it’s proper use?

So using the truth of “aim small miss small”, if I had to take that rare, slow, methodical headshot with a pocket pistol, would I want to do it with the small, crude iron sights on the pistol? Or aim at a small red dot on their forehead?

Knowing if I miss with the sights I might also miss the head, but if I miss the small red dot, I will most likely still hit the head? Because I aimed small? :)

Last edited:
If someone is close enough to physically assault you, point shooting can be very effective.

Well yeah, if you can see them. How can you know where your bullet will stop, if you can only hear your target? How do you know where the innocent bystanders are?

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
Well yeah, if you can see them. How can you know where your bullet will stop, if you can only hear your target? How do you know where the innocent bystanders are?

I'm not sure. I'm not visually impaired, but from what I understand, being visually impaired does not mean that one is unaware of their surroundings.

I'm not sure. I'm not visually impaired, but from what I understand, being visually impaired does not mean that one is unaware of their surroundings.

I understand that. Their sense of hearing is more acute. Maybe he was partially bind.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Is the laser always on? Or do you have to activate it somehow before taking a shot?

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I guess what I’m getting at is I don’t see the point of a laser in a fight or flight situation if I have to turn it on.

So I’m guessing while holstered it’s off but un-holstered it would turn on automatically.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I guess what I’m getting at is I don’t see the point of a laser in a fight or flight situation if I have to turn it on.

So I’m guessing while holstered it’s off but un-holstered it would turn on automatically.
On the newer ones, usually.

Mine has a button you touch with your trigger finger. I guess you should train turning it on every draw. I do not though. It’s right about where you keep your finger when it’s not on the trigger to fire...

I have a nice Alabama pocket holster. When I first got it, every draw the laser would be on. I contacted them and told them I didn’t think that I liked that. They had me send it back and reformed the kydex a bit so that wouldn’t happen. It sounded like they did that on purpose. I don’t know. Maybe it was better like that. I probably would not forget to practice with the laser if it turned on automatically....

FarmerTan

Mine has a button you touch with your trigger finger. I guess you should train turning it on every draw. I do not though. It’s right about where you keep your finger when it’s not on the trigger to fire...

I have a nice Alabama pocket holster. When I first got it, every draw the laser would be on. I contacted them and told them I didn’t think that I liked that. They had me send it back and reformed the kydex a bit so that wouldn’t happen. It sounded like they did that on purpose. I don’t know. Maybe it was better like that. I probably would not forget to practice with the laser if it turned on automatically....
I think it was on purpose. You'll get along fine with that gun. And it's fun!

Agree with all that has been said.

As @ColtRevolver referenced: I'm darned good at lining up the sights.... until I pull the trigger, and the paper target tells me how much I flinched!

I have found them to be a good training aid. Using snap caps, but the laser on target and pull the trigger. The movement of the lazer will show if you're flinching. I have one on my Micro 9, but only because it came that way. I have also heard the argument that if you are wounded the laser gives you another aiming option.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
I was trying to remember an older thread. Rob didn't you paint the blade on your wife's Ruger a florescent color to aid in pointing?

@OkieStubble

FarmerTan

I have found them to be a good training aid. Using snap caps, but the laser on target and pull the trigger. The movement of the lazer will show if you're flinching. I have one on my Micro 9, but only because it came that way. I have also heard the argument that if you are wounded the laser gives you another aiming option.
This is a perfect scenario for use of lasers. It should also be noted that folks should learn on ole fashioned iron sights, then buy a laser gun!

All the tools in your box have a use.

Like I said, I have one on my Micro 9, but when on the range, I use the irons. I have done it enough, but the irons are more intuitive.

Top Bottom