What's new

Fenix Lights and Lasers on our Lizard Tongues.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
One of my co-workers just added a laser to his Ruger. To me the LCP is a close range oh **** point and shoot pistol. It is not the type of pistol you are going to want in a gun battle at 15 or 20 yards.

Do y'all think that type of pistol is worth spending the money for a laser sight? I am sure I will get mixed reviews but I just don't see much benefit.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I think it would probably be personal preference, and how well you point shoot. It could be a help at the 15 yards or a bit further, but that is a bit for a short barrel .380.

I don't think I'd mess with it, but that's just me.

I believe they offer a false hope of "if the dots on it that's where I'll hit". A lot happens with aim point during trigger pull. I see a lot more novices on the range with lasers than I do skilled shooters. I see a poor groups out of them more times than not.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Agree with all that has been said.

As @ColtRevolver referenced: I'm darned good at lining up the sights.... until I pull the trigger, and the paper target tells me how much I flinched!

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Is there a way to stop them from moving? :lol:

Yes. If it's a hostage situation. :) Sure, the probability of that is nil. But IF some vermin was holding one of my loved ones with a knife to their throat and all I had on me was my wife's LCP II? I would want that laser to take the shot.

Now for the question, does my wife's LCP II have a laser on it? No. :) But my G43X has a Streamlight TLR-6 light/laser combo on it.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Yes. If it's a hostage situation. :) Sure, the probability of that is nil. But IF some vermin was holding one of my loved ones with a knife to their throat and all I had on me was my wife's LCP II? I would want that laser to take the shot.

Now for the question, does my wife's LCP II have a laser on it? No. :) But my G43X has a Streamlight TLR-6 light/laser combo on it.
I'd rather have a rifle with normal scope than an LCP II with a laser.

Why wish for a loaf of bread when you can wish for the grocery store?

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I certainly don't have the real world experience of Rob or other LEOs on this forum, but I would think that if you don't already have the basic point shooting skills down fairly well, a laser probably won't help much. As already mentioned, a laser can give false confidence and does not help with flinching, unless you train extensively with one! I have a couple on my long guns, but only one on a handgun, which I rarely carry, just wanted to try one out, wasn't favorably impressed, goes on when I don't want it to (unloaded, it's fun to play with the cats). I want my compact handguns as unencumbered as possible and will rely on point/body index/contact distance shooting and train to a reasonable level to be at least moderately proficient in these shooting techniques.

Last edited:
Mine came with one on a sale for the combo. I didn’t really want it but it was cheaper than just the gun. A nice Veridian red laser. I took it off. Then I read that they are useful in certain situations so I put it back on. I kinda want to take it off but it fits in the holster nicely and weighs almost nothing so I haven’t taken it off. I do practice with it but not a lot. I occasionally forget about it at the range. I wouldn’t buy one if it didn’t come with the gun. It’s kind of cool and it does work well. After hundreds of shots it stays right where it’s set. More of a play thing I guess.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
It could be fun to use at the range. But I think along the same lines as you. IMO it’s a “get off me!” pistol. If I’m far enough away to aim a laser I think I can run. Of course we all speculate until we are in that situation. All I did with my LCP is put TALON grips on it. They made a big difference in handling for me.

In most DGU situations, 95% are within 3 yards, aiming is not necessary. Taking a 50’ headshot in church is another story. My vision isn’t good enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
I have an original LCP with the laser on it. It's dead nuts accurate (within the limitations of the short barrel and 380 round) and I love it. Much easier than trying to see those tiny sights at night. I've popped a raccoon with it at about 25 feet and it made a believer out of me. Batteries last a long time too.

Lasers are GOOD, you can start to fire before extending your arms...and learn to draw and fire from the side (hitting your target). They are good to fire in strange positions....when you cannot just take your time and get in optimal position or if you have to engage multiple targets quickly..... practice is master.....
And yes, they are zeroed to one distance....so you must learn how to compensate for short or longer distance.... and do NOT waste your money in a cheap laser....you are better of with none then.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
They can really be useful for somebody who is handicapped or has a disability. I saw a gentleman at my local range use one because he had an injury where he couldn't bring his arms up high enough to use the sights properly. I also saw a blind gentleman in a wheelchair use one. It was fairly impressive. He had a range partner with him and the laser was to help let the partner know where he was aiming incase any adjustments needed to be made. After the gentlemen left, the RSO explained to me that the blind gentleman had been mugged a couple of times as a result of his handicaps, which is why he started carrying. The RSO also mentioned that the gentleman was surprisingly accurate up to about five yards out. He said it was probably due to muscle memory from lots of training and good spacial skills.

It’s all about training I think.

they have their place and viability on long guns, especially in a supervisory position to direct fires or sectors. I spent a lot of years with one mounted.

my mom has a S&W bodyguard .38 with one. Based on her training I don’t expect her to hit anything outside of contact range, with or without the laser. I’ve fiddled with it, and would probably prefer it mounted to the left side of the frame for ergonomics and faster/better control of the laser...

But I don’t think I want a laser on a pistol.

another factor to consider for those who carry one, just like a light, a visible laser will give away your position in low light situations.

Top Bottom