What's new

Fenix Lights and Lasers on our Lizard Tongues.

If turning on lasers upon upholstering and waving them around until the need for a firearm is no longer required is conventionally acceptable with your instructors... cool. It’s a technique.

I’ve given my explanations for why and when I wouldn’t.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Do you remember the brand? That is vibrant orange.

Is Testors automobile paint? The official color is Orange-Red I think.

IMG_0613.jpg

Last edited:
I have pistols that I painted the front sight with neon orange nail polish 5+ years ago without the need for a redo....I was shooting to day near dark. I had a gun without the orange front sight and was having difficulty seeing a gray gong at 25 yards. I switched to a orange sighted gun and got another 15 to 20 minutes of shooting in.

20200109_180826.jpg

OkieStubble

Then there’s that pesty little issue of imminence. “Yes your honor, he wasn’t able to see me, so I gunned him down “

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll take the chance that the judge sides with me cuz he kicked my door in, in the middle of the night and came walking into my bedroom, over the judge siding with him cuz it was dark and the ole' boy couldn't see me. Damn the luck. ;)

I'll take the chance that the judge sides with me cuz he kicked my door in, in the middle of the night and came walking into my bedroom, over the judge siding with him cuz it was dark and the ole' boy couldn't see me. Damn the luck. ;)

But you wouldn’t be trying to hide yourself, if you made the decision to take him out. The issue is hiding and that a laser gives you away. When you activate the laser it should be on target and the trigger pulled.

In your home is also a very different scenario.

OkieStubble

But you wouldn’t be trying to hide yourself, if you made the decision to take him out. The issue is hiding and that a laser gives you away. When you activate the laser it should be on target and the trigger pulled.

If he comes in, un-welcomed and unannounced, the judge isn't going to care if I shot him before or after my laser, or if I was hiding out or not. Most states with common sense castle doctrine law, doesn't tie my hands with announcing my intentions in my own house.

In your home is also a very different scenario.

A different scenario from what may I ask?

OkieStubble

I have pistols that I painted the front sight with neon orange nail polish 5+ years ago without the need for a redo....I was shooting to day near dark. I had a gun without the orange front sight and was having difficulty seeing a gray gong at 25 yards. I switched to a orange sighted gun and got another 15 to 20 minutes of shooting in.

View attachment 1051167

I see more of the orange plastic inserts in the front sights of revolvers now, then I did in those from back in the day?

If he comes in, un-welcomed and unannounced, the judge isn't going to care if I shot him before or after my laser, or if I was hiding out or not. Most states with common sense castle doctrine law, doesn't tie my hands with announcing my intentions in my own house.

A different scenario from what may I ask?

Exactly. Hiding in your home is not an issue.

It’s different from a street fight where you’re afraid your laser will reveal your position. You’re not in your castle. If your pursuer doesn’t know where you are, you would be hard pressed to prove imminence. You might get away with it due to lack of witnesses.

If you are under imminent threat, the laser flash in sync with your muzzle flash would not jeopardize you any more than not.

OkieStubble

Exactly. Hiding in your home is not an issue.

It’s different from a street fight where you’re afraid your laser will reveal your position. You’re not in your castle. If your pursuer doesn’t know where you are, you would be hard pressed to prove imminence. You might get away with it due to lack of witnesses.

If you are under imminent threat, the laser flash in sync with your muzzle flash would not jeopardize you any more than not.

I hear ya bro, and I can see your point of proving imminence if I am being pursued in a street fight. I just can't see a scenario, where a couple of old codgers as you and I, being pursued because we are in a street fight? This seems a much less likely scenario, then either a in your home scenario, or even a self defense scenario on the street, where you were suddenly attacked?

I made a post just a few back, that stated, there are many different types and kinds of guns and situations that would either make a laser on a gun beneficial, or not so beneficial. But if we are strictly talking of a laser, being on a small pocket pistol which,

1. Is a very small pistol

2. Very small caliber

3. very small sights

4. Design perimeters of use is for ONLY close up self defense?

A laser on this type of pistol, would most likely only help with an very slow shot, which is slowly and intentionally fired in order to help with accuracy in a hostage type scenario.

In a fast and violent self defense encounter on the street? Pull that little whiz banger and just pull the trigger. don't waste life saving time trying to get a laser target.

I don't ever plan on being pursued while in a street fight armed only with a pocket pistol and a laser. :)

If I'm being pursued, that would mean i am already running away, (hence the word pursued) I would be better off digging out my phone from my pocket and calling 911.

OkieStubble

One of my co-workers just added a laser to his Ruger. To me the LCP is a close range oh **** point and shoot pistol. It is not the type of pistol you are going to want in a gun battle at 15 or 20 yards.

Do y'all think that type of pistol is worth spending the money for a laser sight? I am sure I will get mixed reviews but I just don't see much benefit.

You are absolutely 100% correct. :)

OkieStubble

One of my co-workers just added a laser to his Ruger. To me the LCP is a close range oh **** point and shoot pistol. It is not the type of pistol you are going to want in a gun battle at 15 or 20 yards.

Do y'all think that type of pistol is worth spending the money for a laser sight? I am sure I will get mixed reviews but I just don't see much benefit.

You are absolutely 100% correct Scott. :)

I hear ya bro, and I can see your point of proving imminence if I am being pursued in a street fight. I just can't see a scenario, where a couple of old codgers as you and I, being pursued because we are in a street fight? This seems a much less likely scenario, then either a in your home scenario, or even a self defense scenario on the street, where you were suddenly attacked?

I made a post just a few back, that stated, there are many different types and kinds of guns and situations that would either make a laser on a gun beneficial, or not so beneficial. But if we are strictly talking of a laser, being on a small pocket pistol which,

1. Is a very small pistol

2. Very small caliber

3. very small sights

4. Design perimeters of use is for ONLY close up self defense?

A laser on this type of pistol, would most likely only help with an very slow shot, which is slowly and intentionally fired in order to help with accuracy in a hostage type scenario.

In a fast and violent self defense encounter on the street? Pull that little whiz banger and just pull the trigger. don't waste life saving time trying to get a laser target.

I don't ever plan on being pursued while in a street fight armed only with a pocket pistol and a laser. :)

If I'm being pursued, that would mean i am already running away, (hence the word pursued) I would be better off digging out my phone from my pocket and calling 911.

Couldn’t agree more. 95% of DGUs occur within 3 yards. You can reach out and touch them.

If I had to take a 50’ head shot in a church with a mouse gun, I’d take the laser.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
Somewhat related but Two roads diverged in a yellow wood ...

... there are two likely scenarios when you might need to use a gun in self defense but only one where you actually have much control over the environment, and that's at home. Maybe it would be wise to spend initial effort and costs trying to turn that scenario as much in your favor as possible. Low cost intrusion alarm systems that would have been unimaginable even just a few years ago are now available and even user installable. It's relatively inexpensive these days to control lighting, to light the threat but keep you and yours in the dark. Today shatter proof storm doors and metal door frames are available and again relatively inexpensive. Modern wireless cameras can allow you to see into other rooms both day and night and can also strem the evidence off site if needed post event. Even on site backup power is now available either as battery based or even whole house auto switchover.

Our homes are the one place where we can actually control the environment and it's becoming increasingly possible and cost effective.

OkieStubble

Couldn’t agree more. 95% of DGUs occur within 3 yards. You can reach out and touch them.

If I had to take a 50’ head shot in a church with a mouse gun, I’d take the laser.

Agreed. 50' is about 16 yards. So if you brought a mouse gun with a laser to church, pray that God also moved on someone else's heart, to have, brought a bigger gun than yours. :)

OkieStubble

Somewhat related but Two roads diverged in a yellow wood ...

... there are two likely scenarios when you might need to use a gun in self defense but only one where you actually have much control over the environment, and that's at home. Maybe it would be wise to spend initial effort and costs trying to turn that scenario as much in your favor as possible. Low cost intrusion alarm systems that would have been unimaginable even just a few years ago are now available and even user installable. It's relatively inexpensive these days to control lighting, to light the threat but keep you and yours in the dark. Today shatter proof storm doors and metal door frames are available and again relatively inexpensive. Modern wireless cameras can allow you to see into other rooms both day and night and can also strem the evidence off site if needed post event. Even on site backup power is now available either as battery based or even whole house auto switchover.

Our homes are the one place where we can actually control the environment and it's becoming increasingly possible and cost effective.

We are talking mouse guns with lasers. Stay on task... Still a great post though, so +1. ;)

Agreed. 50' is about 16 yards. So if you brought a mouse gun with a laser to church, pray that God also moved on someone else's heart, to have, brought a bigger gun than yours. :)

True that! But some use what they can easily carry and use.

OkieStubble

I really like this last part. There are so many options of layering your home with safety options, if a gun is used on a break in, the owner didn't do their homework, or the perpetrator is so hell bent to get in by bypassing that layering, he should be considered an immediate dangerous threat and shot. Just sayin.

OkieStubble

True that! But some use what they can easily carry and use.

I understand that. But what they need to understand is, If they make the conscious effort, to bring a small gun that is designed and only intended to be used for 5-7 yards, then they also have the responsibility, to understand, they need to do everything they can, to only intend to use it for 5-7 yards. It really is that simple. So if the boogie man walks into your church, and you have your pocket pistol on you?

Grab your family and duck down behind the pew, or find the nearest exit to you. If you have your mouse gun, then there are also others there who brought bigger guns. Let them use those bigger guns. Why? Because they most likely brought those bigger guns to save the day for themselves, their loved ones and for others?

The mouse gun should be to protect you and your loved ones down behind the pew.

I understand that. But what they need to understand is, If they make the conscious effort, to bring a small gun that is designed and only intended to be used for 5-7 yards, then they also have the responsibility, to understand, they need to do everything they can, to only intend to use it for 5-7 yards. It really is that simple. So if the boogie man walks into your church, and you have your pocket pistol on you?

Grab your family and duck down behind the pew, or find the nearest exit to you. If you have your mouse gun, then there are also others there who brought bigger guns. Let them use those bigger guns. Why? Because they most likely brought those bigger guns to save the day for themselves, their loved ones and for others?

The mouse gun should be to protect you and your loved ones down behind the pew.

Wouldn’t argue that, but if I were the only one, I would probably take the shot, only if I had a laser.

Top Bottom