What's new

The pronunciation song

Have had the 'gyro' discussion with my daughter who has worked off in on in Greece the last couple years and it is a Greek word, she says it's pronounced much like the currency, 'euro', no gee, maybe a little more 'e' sound in the sandwich then in the money.

dave

Have had the 'gyro' discussion with my daughter who has worked off in on in Greece the last couple years and it is a Greek word, she says it's pronounced much like the currency, 'euro', no gee, maybe a little more 'e' sound in the sandwich then in the money.
+1
I used to work in a Greek restaurant and they told me to say "year-oh" similar to the euro sound.
Funny video :001_smile

I ran into a similar problem when I tried to order "Eggs sous vide" at $tarbuck$ recently ... I admitted to the bar is taking that I wasn't sure I was pronouncing it right, so I tried spelling it for him out loud. He still didn't get it, so I wrote it down on a napkin. He finally understood what I meant, and told me ... "We stopped carrying that about a year ago."

A Greek gyro from June.

IMG_1425.PNG

dave

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member

dave

+2

Billski

Here I am, 1st again.
I have never ordered a Gyro from a Greek restaurant, but...

This was good listening and entertainment.

So that's what a Gyro is. Often wondered when I saw the name. We call them Doner kebabs in the UK which, apparently, are the Turkish version.

You will only ever eat one when drunk!

Gareth

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Non-alcoholic Ouzo. From the makers of non-alcoholic beer.

I'll pass.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I love them no matter how they are pronounced. I make them at home at least once a year. I've posted a recipe a couple of times. Dash's donair. I agree with the Euro sound. Perhaps with a back of the throat spitty "Y" at the beginning.

I did enjoy this video, thank you .......

Now, to the OTHER half of that unsoken question!

Since these two items are 'brothers', except for some innards that got smothered,
We now have the culinary delight "gyro" down to a "T",
How doest thou sayest "Souvlaki"?
(happy first August Friday!)

Top Bottom