What's new

The progression of my disease - there is no cure nor is one wanted!

I think I first became aware of wet shaving from the Art of Manliness website about a year ago. A google search or two and I discovered B&B. I would look around B&B and think "that looks interesting but wet shaving seems like a pain to me, what's the point?" After a couple of weeks of lurking I decided to jump in and bought the obligatory Viking razor, brush and TOBS sandalwood. I continued to read and would think "those SST razors look nice and a different soap would be cool, but, what's the point?" That lasted a couple of months and SAD bit me. After about 40-50 soaps I thought I was cured of "needing" things. Then RAD hit. Timeless, Rockwell, vintage, Italianbarber, etc. I reached a point of 10-12 razors and thought I was cured of "needing" more. Then someone posted about this brush or that brush. Hmm, I thought, I "need" to try those out! 12-13 brushes later I thought I was cured. Knowing all about DE razors, soaps, cremes and brushes I started to sniff around the A/S forum. Hmm, I thought, I "need" to try some of these out! 30-40 A/S later I thought I was cured. Needing something new to read about I started checking out the fragrance forum. Those sure look like interesting colognes, I "need" to try those out! (I stopped asking what's the point at this stage). After CAD I thought I was cured. And then I stumbled onto the SE razor forum. "This looks interesting, but, what's the point?" I thought. But, after a few weeks of questioning I just had to have a General SE. When they became available I bought one and that started my SE RAD. After 3-4 SE razors I thought I was cured. I was cured for a bit. I would look at the straight edge razor forum and think "that looks interesting, but, what's the point?". The fear of straights held the sickness as bay for longer than usual but last night I ordered a Parker Shavette (I am not quite ready for stropping and honing, I think.) Here we go again.

Here's the point I have discovered; If you enjoy the disease the cure isn't needed.

Also, just how many sub-forums are there on B&B??!?!?!

Thanks to everyone here who has made this hobby so much fun!

I have what they call a champagne taste and a beer budget. I would love to buy more but I am having to tame myself lol.

I use both straight razors and DE razors. I love to collect razors, hones, strops, soaps and creams. The only acquisition disorder that has not taken hold is aftershaves/colognes/balms. The way I try to keep the disease under control is to make it a point of only funding one acquisition at a time. Avoid a spending spree. Pay for one item before purchasing another.

It would be a normal thing for a fella to play golf 20 or 25 times a year. And buy a new set of clubs every three years. Now, how much $$ for greens fees and golf clubs?

That's a lot more than most of us spend on shaving. And we get to do it every day.

It would be a normal thing for a fella to play golf 20 or 25 times a year. And buy a new set of clubs every three years. Now, how much $$ for greens fees and golf clubs?

That's a lot more than most of us spend on shaving. And we get to do it every day.

This is a fabulous new way for me to justify my spending!! Thank you sir - you are a true gentleman!

Just to help you, there are shavettes for every kind of blade. Starting from Chinese blades antelope 77-a, De blades, injector blades, artist club blades and hair shaper blades.

My desire is to get an affordable artist club shavette but I am taking slowly (not as much as I want). Shavettes are addictive, careful.

Join the Sabre brotherhood, you will learn a great community there.

I think I first became aware of wet shaving from the Art of Manliness website about a year ago. A google search or two and I discovered B&B. I would look around B&B and think "that looks interesting but wet shaving seems like a pain to me, what's the point?" After a couple of weeks of lurking I decided to jump in and bought the obligatory Viking razor, brush and TOBS sandalwood. I continued to read and would think "those SST razors look nice and a different soap would be cool, but, what's the point?" That lasted a couple of months and SAD bit me. After about 40-50 soaps I thought I was cured of "needing" things. Then RAD hit. Timeless, Rockwell, vintage, Italianbarber, etc. I reached a point of 10-12 razors and thought I was cured of "needing" more. Then someone posted about this brush or that brush. Hmm, I thought, I "need" to try those out! 12-13 brushes later I thought I was cured. Knowing all about DE razors, soaps, cremes and brushes I started to sniff around the A/S forum. Hmm, I thought, I "need" to try some of these out! 30-40 A/S later I thought I was cured. Needing something new to read about I started checking out the fragrance forum. Those sure look like interesting colognes, I "need" to try those out! (I stopped asking what's the point at this stage). After CAD I thought I was cured. And then I stumbled onto the SE razor forum. "This looks interesting, but, what's the point?" I thought. But, after a few weeks of questioning I just had to have a General SE. When they became available I bought one and that started my SE RAD. After 3-4 SE razors I thought I was cured. I was cured for a bit. I would look at the straight edge razor forum and think "that looks interesting, but, what's the point?". The fear of straights held the sickness as bay for longer than usual but last night I ordered a Parker Shavette (I am not quite ready for stropping and honing, I think.) Here we go again.

Here's the point I have discovered; If you enjoy the disease the cure isn't needed.

Also, just how many sub-forums are there on B&B??!?!?!

Thanks to everyone here who has made this hobby so much fun!

Here is how I explained things to LOTH, “This is the least expensive hobby that I have ever had!”

Spoken like a true BOSCer! We need you to cast your vote roosty. Check out:
Should you be "committed" to the BOSC (Brotherhood of Shaving Crazies)?

upload_2018-4-16_17-34-12.png
:letterk1: :laugh:

Try being a golfer as well as a newbie wet shaver! [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

It has been a fun process for me. I like the DE razor a lot more than the electrics and love the shaving cream and brush far more than canned cream. While I tried a few different things, did not accumulate a lot so far. I sold some that I did not use and still have a few that I need to sell.

I think I’m still well: 9 soaps/creams, 7 aftershaves, only one brush!!, only two DE!! One shavette and three straight razors.

My wife helps me to keep expenses under a budget.
I have to finish one aftershave or soap before I can buy more. I already have soaps/aftershaves in line waiting to be bought :D.

Top Bottom