What's new

The price of shave sticks.

We all know that here in the States Arko is the cheapest shave stick you can buy. Some places sell a single stick for under $2.00. But I was curious what shave stick came in 2nd and 3rd based on the lowest price. So I checked out several vendors for the price of these sticks:

Speick, La Toja, Wilkinson Sword, and Palmolive.
After Arko, Palmolive comes in the second least expensive at an average cost of $3.90 a stick.
Followed by Speick as the 3rd least expensive at an average cost of $5.58 a stick.

So if you are looking to get the most bang for your buck in shave sticks, the order is: Arko, Palmolive, and Speick.

You can always turn to the bay for some good deals on larger orders, as well. This brings down the price considerably, albeit with longer shipping times.

I bought La Toja stick from this vendor, best price I could find.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/La-Toja-Shave-Stick-Made-in-Spain-50gr-4-soap-stick-/111739395369?hash=item1a042fdd29

I was just going to mention Ogallala Shave Sticks. Maggards has them at regular price for $5.75. While not the cheapest, it is already in a shave stick container and I don't think anyone would argue the it smell a lot better than Arko and Palmolive (by the way...I actually like the smell of Arko so I am not knocking on it...but really, who can resist the lure of Ogallala bay Rum). Plus there are a couple varieties of the Bay Rum.

http://www.maggardrazors.com/product/ogallala-bay-rum-shaving-soap-stick-2-5oz/

Let's not forget Derby and Erasmic shave sticks for inexpensive options. And at the other end of the spectrum, Valobra Sapone Per Barba Hard Shave Stick, 50g for $13.

Speick, La Toja, Wilkinson Sword, and Palmolive.
After Arko, Palmolive comes in the second least expensive at an average cost of $3.90 a stick.
Followed by Speick as the 3rd least expensive at an average cost of $5.58 a stick.

So if you are looking to get the most bang for your buck in shave sticks, the order is: Arko, Palmolive, and Speick.
You can't just go shopping by price alone.

I'm a big fan of Arko, but I buy it for the performance, not the low cost.

I've tried Palmolive in both stick and cream forms. No thanks, not for me. I wouldn't use it again even if it were free.

As for Speick, I would buy it even if it were $20 a stick ... because there's nothing else like it.

Price does not matter. I'll pay the $5.50 Speick costs over any cheaper shave stick, because nothing compares! The scent is pretty awesome with glass-bottle P&G Old Spice (I find the glass bottle to be ever so spicier than the newer plastic).

I mean, the money I save shaving DE over Cartridges...I can splurge on soap some :)

I realize that price in not the only consideration but the point of this thread is price. Which ones come in at the best price.
There are so many good sticks out there. I never really realized for instance that Speick was lower priced than most. It's a better deal than I thought.

Last year I bought some La Toja sticks for 1,5 euros each, with shipping the price was around 1,9 euros!

I can buy Palmolive, Lea sticks for 2 euros, Arko for 1,5 euros or less If I buy a dozen( box), Bea stick for 1,6 euros, Speick for 4,4 euros.

I can also buy, but I won't, because it's literally a cheat, Wilkinson sticks for 7 euros... This is a problem, because I want to try it, but I won't pay this amount of money in any way. The vendor takes the advantage, because there is not any other that sell it, so he thinks he can sell it at this price.

The most expensive sticks are the Harris'. Around 15 euros with the new prices, but I have the pucks so I am ok.

I wonder why Wilkinson cost so much more than the others? I heard they added lanolin to the mix but I don't think that would raise the price too much.

Do you guys think Wilkinson is worth the money or is it over priced? I find it is good but not outstanding. Probably worth $6.50 a stick.

My preference places Wilkinson Sword sticks in the middle of the pack of the Euro sticks I've tried.

I like it slightly more than Palmolive and Arko, and way more than Tabac, which has a scent that is an issue with me. I put La Toja and Speick at the top.

I could happily use any of them except for Tabac. They all seem to last a long time, too, making them a good value.

I also put Speick and LaToja at the top. Both are excellent.
I like Palmolive but it doesn't like my R41 - it tends to clog up the gap. So I don't use it any more.
Arko is excellent of course. I like the old-fashioned smell, but it's not as rich-smelling as the two above.
And Tabac wins the prize for the best presentation of a stick. It has a cover, and unlike LaToja's the cover it stays on even when tossed around in a suitcase! The size of stick is excellent too - perfect diameter for getting a good gob of soap onto your beard. But the smell relegates it to "abandon". I get an base note of rubber from it, which I find terrible. The top and mid notes are fine (remind me of Johnson's Baby Powder), innocuous to me.

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush

I've tried Palmolive in both stick and cream forms. No thanks, not for me. I wouldn't use it again even if it were free.

As for Speick, I would buy it even if it were $20 a stick ... because there's nothing else like it.

I agree. Speick and Tabac sticks are tied for my favorite shave sticks and I've tried just about all of the common ones out there. The only one I haven't tried is La Toja because it has alum in it and I am sensitive to alum(inum).

Top Bottom