What's new

The pre shave

After watching a video here on how to shave with a straight, it made me stop and think about the pre shave. What I have always done is take a shower and then shave. Is that suffice t for a straight razor or is the pre shave more important with a straight razor than a DE?

If so, what do you guys use?

Gotta soften those whiskers. But is it really so different with a DE?

Most people just shower first. I sort of envy them. I had to switch to a cold water shave, to avoid skin irritation. So what I do instead is a variation on Kyle's Prep: I rinse my face, lather up, throw a wet towel around my face, being sure to cover all the shaving areas, and wait 3-4 minutes. One more rinse, and I'm ready for my shave.

It works great for me, except for the part where I want to use my cell phone, and it doesn't recognize my towel-wrapped face.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
My pre-shave consists of:

• Wet face with warm water.
  • Wash face thoroughly with bath soap (I prefer Pears Transparent (India)). Work the soap in well to remove all oils on and around the whiskers.
  • Rinse face thoroughly with warm water to remove all traces of soap and associated Oli's. The face should be squeaky clean.
  • Leave face wet and apply lather.
  • Shave.
The face washing can be done in the shower if wanted.

Shower or rinse my face with hot water for a few minutes. Never a problem whil inise hot water for the prep and larger, I rinse the blade with cold water. It’s a better shave for me for whatever reason. I discovered it by accident really, using hot water to rinse my blade left faint water stains on my Dovo, so I went with cold and found it left a better finish. No irritation or anything. Like butter.

Top Bottom