What's new

The power of online reviews, an example

TBH I don’t read reviews anymore. To much hype and fanboys. 99% of the time I know what they are going to say with all the superlatives about “mowing down effortlessly”, “exploding lather” and “post shave comfort”. Really gets old. YMMV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have accumulated a collection that includes everything from very low priced razors, vintage and modern high end. I have now been shaving with DE for 7 years and shaved with carts and even a Norelco at one point before DE since 1987.

I get completely stubble frees shaves using any razor I own. I am not a BBS snob, but it is true and I feel for members that have very sensitive skin and can’t experience what I do on a daily basis.

When I see comments now such as a razor is too mild, too harsh, will not shave under my nose, not efficient enough for my thick, coarse beard, too light, too heavy, I can’t see my reflection in the top cap, it slips through my fingers and I’m going to sell off all my razors because the razor I just bought is a gift to mankind, I just roll my eyes.

A lot of these complaints and supposed revelations I feel have to do with problems with technique, choice of blade and bad prep. When I buy a razor, it is for my interests in materials, history and how unique the razor is. People spend too much time looking for what they think is a grail razor.

This goes both ways with positive and negative reviews.
Yeah, you always need to dig deeper than the review, check the reviewers history! Also, written review is much more helpful than stars. To a lot of "Old Skool" people, 3 stars is a perfect review, nothing above the bar or extraordinary was seen by them.
“exploding lather”
I once said that in regard to modern synthetics in the synthetic pass around: [URL="https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/synthetic-shaving-brush-pass-around.497332/page-44#post-9773879"]Synthetic Shaving Brush Pass Around[/URL]

If they felt like boars they would be great :p

People spend too much time looking for what they think is a grail razor.
So true a lot of the time. Trying different razors can be helpful, after you have a good frame work, but it won't be a magic bullet. It will take time to become proficient with it. And then end result most likely will be the same, could be worse, and least likely better. Researching razors that are better for your style can change those likelihoods though.

People spend too much time looking for what they think is a grail razor.

I tend to agree. I’ve only used four razors, two DE and two SE, and I’m down to just the one SE now, with no desire to look further. I think technique is the most important factor in a shave, followed by the blade (which is why I think I ended up SE), and the razor comes in third, followed by prep (though all are important).

But then, some people are primarily collectors/hobbyists/hoarders, and if that’s their gig, I’m fine with it.

Top Bottom