What's new

The possible effects of vaporized Yeti Snot

Howdy! I recently had a very interesting experience with The Snot that y'all may find humorous. I was part of the beta test for their new website and got a puck of Yeti Snot out of it. The next week, I place an order for a single sample of Columbian Necktie. The original puck got to me pretty fast, but the sample took forever- almost a month! I found out the poor guy who runs the shop got absolutely slammed with orders when the site went live, and got backed up bad. Well, long story short, I finally got my sample yesterday, along with complimentary samples of Shore Leave and The Snot! Cool! The samples were in cubes, so I decided to grate them and melt them in a double boiler. The Shore Leave and Columbian Necktie got mixed together, since the Shore Leave had such a mild scent. Figured it would help stretch the CNT. That went fine, poured it into a teacup. The sample of The Snot, however... I got impatient. I just put it in the ceramic bowl with the original puck and popped it in the microwave for 30 seconds. I turned around to kill the fire on the boiler, and when I turned back, thick clouds of grey-white vapor were billowing from my microwave. UH OH! I whipped the door open, thinking I had set the soap on fire and it was smoking. Holy mole, was I wrong. It was vaporized menthol! Pure, weapons-grade vaporized menthol! My eyes immediately started running, my nose to my lungs went numb, and I started coughing like I had been tear-gassed (and this is from a heavy smoker!). I fell flat on my back like I had been hit by a freight train full of professional linebackers. SWMBO came out of the bedroom to see me laying on the floor, gasping like a landed fish and crying like I had done a swan dive into a vat of chopped onions. She tried to rush to my aid, then got hit by the dissipating cloud and ran into the bathroom. She came back a few minutes later, eyes and nose streaming. When I told her what had happened, then stared at me and yelled "You nerve-gassed yourself! WITH SOAP!!!" There was no discernible damage to the soap, and it's cooling properties were unaffected. Still, wow-WHEE! I felt like Mr Freeze had given me mouth-to-mouth! On a side note, the sinus headache that had been killing me all day cleared up then and there. I couldn't feel my head AT ALL. Has anyone had this happen to them, or am I the only one who has gassed themselves with shaving soap?

Last edited:
proxy.php

So now I know...the next time I'm so miserable with sinusitis that I'd sacrifice a few bucks worth of precious shaving soap for temporary relief, that's where my relief will be.

proxy.php

So now I know...the next time I'm so miserable with sinusitis that I'd sacrifice a few bucks worth of precious shaving soap for temporary relief, that's where my relief will be.

Didn't seem to hurt the soap any. I used it this morning. Not scorched, broken, or even any noticeable decrease in the coldness. Actually, I think it was a little easier to lather. I can still smell it though. I think it's seared into my nostrils.

Badmedic, Sir, you were probably a lucky man not to have ingested more menthol gas.

I'm sure. I'm actually kind of curious... I put this up because I figured folks would get a good laugh about it, but does anyone know if I may have gotten more than just frozen lungs? They didn't go over this in medic school. Oh, and by the way... BADMEDIC is my license plate. :001_cool:

Last edited:
"You nerve-gassed yourself! WITH SOAP!!!"

If any mods read this, I beg you . . . I have never seen ANYTHING more suitable for a custom title on this board. Possibly in my life.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

That is absolutely hilarious!

And I am so glad that it wasn't me.

If any mods read this, I beg you . . . I have never seen ANYTHING more suitable for a custom title on this board. Possibly in my life.
+1!

"You nerve-gassed yourself! WITH SOAP!!!"
:lol::lol::lol:​:lol:
your SWMBO is definitely a keeper.

I have to second that as well. But, I must say that that stuff is incredibly strong. I would hate to smell the mentholed version of mustard gas that you encountered. My condolences to your nose hairs. May they rest in peace.

Ironically I took delivery of a puck myself today. Before I had a chance to read the near-death-by-menthol-gas story, I heated it up in the microwave as well. For ten careful seconds at a time. Got a whiff of the airborne menthol. Fortunately in a controlled manner. Thankful.

I had been passing over this thread since I had no interest in menthol soaps. WHAT A STORY! My eyes were watering just from reading it. Well, maybe it was the laughing.

I am sufficiently bored at the moment that my curiosity sent me googling.
http://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/med...l+and+Eucalyptus+Inhalation+BP+1980/#OVERDOSE
4.9 Overdose
Symptoms of poisoning with swallowed menthol and eucalyptus inhalation include epigastric burning, severe abdominal pain, central nervous system depression, pulmonary damage, nausea and vomiting, drowsiness, dizziness and muscular weakness, ataxia, miosis, coma and a feeling of suffocation. Cyanosis, delirium and convulsions may occur. Deaths have been recorded from doses as low as 3.5ml of eucalyptus oil (equivalent to 35ml of the inhalation). The fatal dose of menthol in man has been estimated to be about 2g (equivalent to 100ml of the inhalation).

Treatment should consist of emptying the stomach by gastric lavage and aspiration. Administer a saline laxative by mouth, such as sodium sulphate, 30g in 250ml of water, or a dilute solution of sodium phosphate. Convulsions may be controlled by the use of parenteral anticonvulsant agents. The latter treatment would require hospitalisation.

I wonder what kind of dose you can catch inhaling nuked snot fumes...

I am sufficiently bored at the moment that my curiosity sent me googling.
http://www.medicines.org.uk/emc/med...l+and+Eucalyptus+Inhalation+BP+1980/#OVERDOSE

I wonder what kind of dose you can catch inhaling nuked snot fumes...

CNS depression? Convulsions? Good lord! I DID nerve-gas myself! Break out the 2PAM and Valium! That would be awkward to explain to my coworkers if they had to come pick me up. Then again, them knowing me, I doubt anyone would be horribly surprised.:bored:

Last edited:
Top Bottom