What's new

The PILS Razor...Re-Visited

Gentlemen
This German razor is a thing of physical beauty and extremely well made. Stainless with a different way to load blades. You grip the ends of the head and turn the handle to both tighten and loosen. Blade ends are obviously covered. This is a razor that benefits from very sharp blades like Feathers. It also can be frustrating to shave with because without proper angles and technique it can result in a very mild and not particularly close shave. Which was how I'd originally perceived the razor to be.
It's not an overly heavy shaver and has a slim handle. The finish is the matte version and the handle can be a bit slippery when wet and soapy.
So you do have to be aware. This razor is all about the angle which tends to be steeper than other razors I use in my rotation. You really do have to practise with this shaver. The head locks down the blade in a completely flat position and like other razors you let the weight of the head do the work. I found I used a bit of pressure until I found the right angle. From there it was very comfy and efficient.
Beforehand I had found the ATG second pass to be the most efficient. I seem to have intuitively found the correct angle which showed me how good the razor actually was. The first pass, was until yesterday, disappointing in that I could not find the "sweet spot" the razor had.
So the good thing is it shaves well and requires attention to detail. Once you have that kind of figured out it becomes a terrific shaver.
I also got a wake up call as to pricing on these razors. They have definitely increased in price to the point where if I did not already have one I doubt I'd spend that kind of cash to purchase new. For less money I can get the Henson Ti which is supposed to shave as well as my Henson AL.
So, I'm glad I have the PILS and it will definitely see more turns in my rotation, I'm also happy I got it a few years ago when the price was more wallet friendly.
IMG_1945.jpeg
IMG_1946.jpeg

It truly is a beautiful razor. I own one, bought it off the BST many years ago. While I enjoy using it from time to time, I believe it benefits from daily usage, otherwise it is very tricky to get the angle right to begin with.

Personally, I would have preferred a shorter handle. Having medium-sized handes, it is not easy to keep the required steep handle angles with such a long shaft

I've put mine for sale on the BST 2X recently at fairly decent prices and received zero enquiries. I suppose the PILS has lost its ground given the abundance of stainless steel razors available today, and I will have to keep mine as a trophy razor

The PILS has always been a niche item in my mind. Like many things from German minds, it may require the Engineer to comprehend the whys and wherefore. All that said, it also bordered on high fashion (on the day of its introduction) in finish and fitment.

I own a polished finish version and find it rare to have any slip at all if I rinse the handle and my fingertips as needed. The weight (and distribution) of the razor head is easily guided, and the mass provides the benefit of holding heat nicely for those days you have a scuttle in play and are using your apothecary's mug for hot water soak during the cold of late fall/winter/early spring. Or, it carries a chill if you want it during dog days of summer. (Iced razor, anybody?) There is a bevel on both sides of the cap, which guides the user toward a proper angle with the solid bar and blade. Applying pressure can offer a master class in extracting even closer shaves without the proportional risks experienced in other designs. (Don't blithely press down and expect to get away with foolish thoughtlessness!)

I purchased mine early in the 2010s when exchange rates and the EU offered nice enticements for doing business across the pond. As for selling, someday, I think there will always be folk who study the razor's evolution and be aware of the PILS. Our people may be few and far between, but I still anticipate the unexpected deals to be found. I would say the more likely market for the PILS than say a HONE. (Not insulting the qualities of design and manufacture for that British inspiration at all, especially the titanium limited edition, just a rare bird with even more investment needed to earn the memorable best experience.)

The PILS is a unusual razor in its design. I have the polished one..it works well. I hold the slim handle at the end as if it is a lever and let the weight of the top propel the shave. That seems to me to be the way its design has meant it to be used.

It truly is a beautiful razor. I own one, bought it off the BST many years ago. While I enjoy using it from time to time, I believe it benefits from daily usage, otherwise it is very tricky to get the angle right to begin with.

Personally, I would have preferred a shorter handle. Having medium-sized handes, it is not easy to keep the required steep handle angles with such a long shaft

I've put mine for sale on the BST 2X recently at fairly decent prices and received zero enquiries. I suppose the PILS has lost its ground given the abundance of stainless steel razors available today, and I will have to keep mine as a trophy razor
So so true! I remember when the only stainless razors spoken of or seen on this site were the PILS and the Feather AS-D2. I rarely see/hear anything about either razor now.

marty

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
My Pils are still in my rotation and love the minimalist modern look.

The core reason why Pils and AS-D2 are no longer widely discussed in the wet shaving community today is their moderate efficiency and precise operating angle requirements; more new brands have filled the high-aggression preferences of customers during this decade .

And for users who have clearly mastered the features of Pils/AS-D2, this kind of tenderness is the love of a lifetime, you may not advertise it everywhere, but you will be very happy to have it waiting for you to go home.

I really like the unique opening mechanism of Pils, which can even be operated with one hand, just like a hand spinner. Such an interesting design is still unique today.
img_1_1687519573173.jpg

The Pils is a thing of beauty -- I might pull mine out of the closet to admire. I never got the hang of it and ended up chewing my face up. Maybe with a lot more DE shaves under my belt now I should try it again.

It sure is a looker. Very unique!

Top Bottom