What's new

The perfect windproof lighter

Well for the benefit of public knowledge, I ordered a Zorro 912s round top with a butane insert that has a see thru gas window and extra o rings. I will report back when it arrives lol. I love Zippos but hate the fuel evaporation. This should solve that.
Slap a ranger band around the zippo where the lid meets the body 👍. The fuel will keep alot longer. Just pulled out a pipe lighter that I can't remember the last time I refueled it. Guessing around 6-8months ago. Opened it up and it lit right up. On average I've had them last 3+ months after a full refuel and my occasional use.

Slap a ranger band around the zippo where the lid meets the body 👍. The fuel will keep alot longer. Just pulled out a pipe lighter that I can't remember the last time I refueled it. Guessing around 6-8months ago. Opened it up and it lit right up. On average I've had them last 3+ months after a full refuel and my occasional use.
I know of that hack, just bugs me they (Zippo) knows of this and doesn't address it. I also ordered an Imco that is similar to another lighter I have. It's made differently is the reason.

I know of that hack, just bugs me they (Zippo) knows of this and doesn't address it. I also ordered an Imco that is similar to another lighter I have. It's made differently is the reason.

Which model imco out of curiosity? All fuel lighters have evaporation issues to some extent I guess. Unless they are completely oring sealed.

Which model imco out of curiosity? All fuel lighters have evaporation issues to some extent I guess. Unless they are completely oring sealed.
The Zorro is o ringed and huge. Here is the Imco, I hate people saying they are made in Austria like the original, this is from Ali
Screenshot_20210613-185737-470.png
I will compare my douglas s field lighter to them as well as my honest trench lighters I love.

Man I am weak after alot of beer lol. After looking at my Douglass field lighter I also ordered 2 neo 4 mini lighter's. Maybe a L version later but I'm done for now lol. You may ask why 2, well these are always out of stock, and it seemed one as a gift would be cool. I haven't figured out how to order them direct, so edc supply is it for now.

The Zorro is o ringed and huge. Here is the Imco, I hate people saying they are made in Austria like the original, this is from Ali View attachment 1281320 I will compare my douglas s field lighter to them as well as my honest trench lighters I love.
I believe I have a few of those. They perform well. Only difference I can see between them and my real imco was the ali lighter says "designed in" Austria and the reel one says "made in". Good stuff 👍

I believe I have a few of those. They perform well. Only difference I can see between them and my real imco was the ali lighter says "designed in" Austria and the reel one says "made in". Good stuff 👍
I have seen 'real imco' stuff with come Austria as well. Somewhere I also saw the real ones are magnetic. And the newer Chinese ones are stainless in a version that's not. Have you tested that out ? Out of curiosity?

I have seen 'real imco' stuff with come Austria as well. Somewhere I also saw the real ones are magnetic. And the newer Chinese ones are stainless in a version that's not. Have you tested that out ? Out of curiosity?

I don't have any of the older original imcos to try out unfortunately. I believe the one original I have was made near to when they stopped making them in Austria. That said the one I do have and the Chinese copies are all non magnetic. The copies are just as nice as the original though. Even has all the patent stamping haha. I can't tell a difference other than the wording of where it is made.

The original is just stamped "austria" on the bottom
20210618_080904.jpg

Both the copies say "come of Austria".

20210618_080917.jpg

20210618_080925.jpg

And the one 6800 streamline model I have from china says "from Austria"
20210618_080937.jpg

All are nice lighters though. They all function the same and work great.The chinese models feel a little bit heavier.

20210618_080856.jpg

There some other difference, which make the "new" ones a better choice in my opinion.
The original ones were made from steel, which was nickel plated. They are ferromagnetic, which easily can be checked with a magnet.
Nickel plated steel tends corrode especially, if the lighter was carried in a pocket.
The new original ones (Windmill, Japan, bought the patent and their machinery from IMCO back in 2012) are made from stainless steel.
No corrosion anymore and the the thickness of the caseing is a little ...hrrr... thicker (sorry, a non native speaker huntingfor words... ;) ).
Only the flint wheel is still made from steel. Take a magnet for checking -- stainless steel is barely ferromagnetic.

To check, whether the lighter is made on original machinery (or machinery, which is a 1:1 replica): One arm of the two arms which connects
the lower part of the machanism has a number as inprint. Most of the time a "0".
If this would be a cheap knock off, such a detail, which adds to the costs of building the machinery and the lighter, but does not add to the funtionioality if the lighter would have been neglected.

Is the secret compartment known, which can used to carry a spare flint?

Top Bottom