What's new

The perfect windproof lighter

Dears, I came to B&B to shave better (still do), but now I need... a lighter. For other reasons.

I would like one with a metal body, windproof (or "bunsen") flame. I'm Europe based, if it matters.

I can't find a reliable source of information in all of the internet (of course it's just because I don't know where to look).

Is anyone here a massive expert on lighters?

I'm definitely not an expert, but back in my smoking days I owned a Zippo lighter. Runs on petrol that's readily available in supermarkets. The flint will need to be replaced occasionally too. They are windproof and virtually indestructible. I suggest you have a bit of a read via our friend Google.

I Have one from Zengaz works perfect

Attachments

• 20210608_220354.jpg
    20210608_220354.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 15
Zippo doesn't seem to have jet flame options in catalog - just add-on accessories that transform the standard flame to jet... ?

(??? who would contemplate "accessories" on a simple item such as a lighter?)

I have an el-cheapo trench lighter that has a tubular baffle that raises and lowers to make it windproof. Mine is nothing special but there are solid brass ones that look pretty nice. They use lighter fluid and flints just like the Zippo, but have a steampunk vibe as well.

You can't beat a ST Dupont Maxijet lighter. I had one for years and it was indestructible. I can't tell you how many times I washed in in my clothes, dropped it, etc. It lasted me a good 12-13 years before I lost it. Ugh. Yeah, a bit pricey on the initial buy (more so now than when I bought mine), but cheaper than buying a $25-30 lighter once a year or more frequently.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
Zippo doesn't seem to have jet flame options in catalog - just add-on accessories that transform the standard flame to jet... ?

(??? who would contemplate "accessories" on a simple item such as a lighter?)

A Zippo is the classic American 'wind-proof' soft flame lighter and somewhat of an institution. A butane jet flame, by its nature, is somewhat wind-proof as well. But they are very different lighter types.

Zippo does sell butane jet inserts (in single and dual flames), but they alter the basic charm of the Zippo. They are ok butane jets, but there are much better dedicated butane models if a jet flame is what you are really looking for.

If by 'wind-proof' you mean cyclone or gale proof, no lighter is that strong. A strong enough wind will blow out any lighter flame.

The art of hand shielding your lights (whether by match or lighter) is the only way around stronger winds. The old timers could match light a pipe in a breeze no problem. I used to do it early on, but was not very proficient at it, and liked lighters anyway.

A Zippo is the classic American 'wind-proof' soft flame lighter and somewhat of an institution. A butane jet flame, by its nature, is somewhat wind-proof as well. But they are very different lighter types.

Zippo does sell butane jet inserts (in single and dual flames), but they alter the basic charm of the Zippo. They are ok butane jets, but there are much better dedicated butane models if a jet flame is what you are really looking for.

If by 'wind-proof' you mean cyclone or gale proof, no lighter is that strong. A strong enough wind will blow out any lighter flame.

The art of hand shielding your lights (whether by match or lighter) is the only way around stronger winds. The old timers could match light a pipe in a breeze no problem. I used to do it early on, but was not very proficient at it, and liked lighters anyway.

Ok, so which are these -better- jet flame lighters? I'm looking for those :biggrin1:

Maybe I misworded, but I thought that saying "windproof (or "bunsen") flame" made my intentions clear. So no Zippos. I respect the tradition, and they are readily available here in Italy too, but I don't want a Zippo flame.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
Ok, so which are these -better- jet flame lighters? I'm looking for those :biggrin1:

Maybe I misworded, but I thought that saying "windproof (or "bunsen") flame" made my intentions clear. So no Zippos. I respect the tradition, and they are readily available here in Italy too, but I don't want a Zippo flame.

Well … a jet flame is not necessarily ‘better’, just different. A jet flame develops temps over 2,000F in some cases. Enough to incinerate what you’re trying to smoke in some instances.

What type of flame you pick is influenced by what you’re lighting. Taking a butane jet to a pipe is not recommended. But it’s common for lighting a cigar. What are you planning to light?

Fuel, flame type, and ignition. Those are the three main characteristics of every lighter. For fuel, you have fluid or butane. For flame type you have soft (traditional yellow) and jet (blue) flame discharge. And generally only butane fuels the latter. And you have flint or piezo ignition. And then there are the newer plasma (arc) lighters, which are completely electric … and still a bit gimmicky and limited in my opinion. You probably know all these things.

If all you want is a decent quality butane jet torch lighter, there are hundreds to choose from. Pick your price range, and go from there. Decent working models sell from $10 to over $1,000. One, two, three jets? You decide how much torch you need. On a butane lighter, the choice of butane may be more important than the lighter in many cases.

FWIW, my last butane jet lighter purchase was a Davidoff Zino ZS, a bulletproof $75 single jet pocket rocket. Davidoff also makes a $900 dual jet model that probably works just as well. So again, pick your price point first. The one before that was a Xikar dual jet Element (the original one) that I got for around $25 at auction, and it lit many hundreds of cigars in all conditions for about a decade before finally failing (and I got a free replacement ELX under its lifetime warranty). Best $25 ever spent on a lighter.

You didn't say what you were lighting, but you don't want to use a jet on a pipe. It will char the rim. I use Zippo with a pipe insert when it's breezy.

Kilroy6644

Smoking a corn dog in aviators and a top hat
For a metal-bodied jet lighter, my choice would be the Ronson Jetlite. It's not super high quality, but it's cheap and - in my personal experience - reliable. Single flame, and pretty good fuel capacity. There are a couple of simple modifications you can do that make it better, but you void the warranty (not a big deal, in my opinion; it's cheap enough that you just take the loss if you break it). Unfortunately, I have no idea about availability in Europe.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I’ve used Zippos for 50 years. I’ve tried others but always come back to Zippo. They have a pipe lighter that has a hole in the side in the wick cover that enables it for pipes. Highly recommend.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
I’ll just add that ‘wind proof’ is subject to the particulars of the situation. It really depends on what you’re lighting.

For instance, my favorite ‘wind proof’ lighter for a pipe is a Corona Pipemaster, a compact butane soft flame piezo model. It is wind resistant despite being a soft flame because it is so compact, and its flame head so narrow, that it can actually be ignited within the pipe chamber. The pipe itself acts as a windbreak in that situation. And its soft flame is so gentle, there is no risk of charring the pipe.

But it would be completely useless with a cigar or cigarette in even a modest breeze.

This might be an unpopular opinion, but a simple Bic lighter lights in most any day to day conditions. The only times it struggles is at the beach. But turn your back to the wind and shield the flame with your other hand. Other than that, a good ol Zippo with an appropriate insert. If the zippo won't light, I'm not sure I'm going to be out in it.

I would love a st DuPont, but at that price and not serviceable. Cheap and great reviews would be a vertigo by lotus cyclone , triple flame and like 9 ish bucks.
Lotus are decent. Palió makes a nice one. They are not windproof. Cupping your hands is required if it's more than a gentle breeze. He said as there is a steady breeze and he just lit his cigar.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Top Bottom