What's new

The perfect tuna fish sandwich

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I don't know if this has been covered already, but I'll have a go at it. If your version is comprised of a pan seared, raw on the inside, maguro grade slab of fresh tuna served on a crostini and topped with baby greens and a homemade aioli, then this thread isn't for you. I'm talking about the classic- canned tuna, done your way.

Which brand do you choose?
Solid white, chunk, or tonno in olive oil?
Bread?
Open faced?
Are you a Hellman's man, or a barbarian. :lol:
What are your mandatory accompaniments?

M

modern man

Chicken of the sea in water (not oil)
Pinch of Old Bay
Yellow Mustard
Mix
Spread on toasted Wonder Bread (White or Wheat) open face or not, dose not matter to me

Fin

I like albacore packed in water as opposed to the oil, just the right amount of mayo (not too much, not too little), dill pickle relish (I hate sweet relish), a little kosher salt and fresh ground pepper, all mashed & whipped up real good with a fork. Then some wheat toast, bibb lettuce, and sliced tomatoes off the vine. Hmmm hmmmm good...

Oh, and I like Duke's mayo......it's a Southern thing.

Pinch of Old Bay
Yellow Mustard
Mix
Spread on toasted Wonder Bread (White or Wheat) open face or not, dose not matter to me

Fin

Wow Doc, that sounds great. Simple and straightforward. The way a "salad" sammich should be. I have become quite fond of powdered yellow mustard and Old Bay. I'll bet it is super on the canned tuna. I do like my tuna or chicken "salad" sandwiches to be mixed with a binder like Miracle Whip or mayo. I will have to give yours a try. I would also wager it is mighty fine on wheat bread and grilled. I will echo Scott and say I like canned tuna in water.

Regards, Todd

I like mine two ways.

The first is the penny pincher,
1 can Chicken of the Sea or Albacore (solid) in water, 8 XL hard boiled eggs chopped, 2 tbsp mayo (Hellman's) , salt & peper to taste and served chilled on any bread or toast.

The Second, standard Tuna and mayo (Hellman's) mixed, spread into a pita pocket add sliced tomato and american cheese and grill. Serve hot and bubblie.

M

modern man

Wow Doc, that sounds great. Simple and straightforward. The way a "salad" sammich should be. I have become quite fond of powdered yellow mustard and Old Bay. I'll bet it is super on the canned tuna. I do like my tuna or chicken "salad" sandwiches to be mixed with a binder like Miracle Whip or mayo. I will have to give yours a try. I would also wager it is mighty fine on wheat bread and grilled. I will echo Scott and say I like canned tuna in water.

Regards, Todd

Thanks, I try to make things very simple and let the main ingredient do all the work. No need to Food Network it (you know, add 1,000 spices and take 100 steps).

I never grilled it, I always just toasted it or pressed it but that is an idea. You can also toss on some Lettuce and Tomato but I usually eat it without.

Canned Tuna packed in water.
Best Foods Mayo
chopped celery
chopped red onion
chopped dill pickle
salt and pepper
sliced sourdough...toasted.

Pinch of Old Bay
Yellow Mustard
Mix

Fin

That Old Bay is the isht!

Tuna in water drained
Mayo (NO Miracle Whip - YUCK)
Onions
Old Bay
Lemon Juice

Ain't Nuthin' Fina

Starkist - Chunk Light in water (drained)
Mayo - I like lots
Yellow Mustard - just a bit
Tony Chachere's - To taste
Sweet relish

On toasted Whitehweat.

Jonathan

whatever can is on sale in water
mix with miracle whip and relish if no pickle is available
toast wheat bread or if ordering, then on a bagel open face
slice american cheese

You people who put pickles in your tuna fish sandwiches should be burned at the stake.

Tuna (in water, drained)
Dijon/spicy mustard
pinch of salt
spread on toast
MUST BE CUT DIAGONALLY

Last step is crucial.

I prefer the regular cheap tune for a sandwich.. yeah, the canned tune that some people call "cat food". I love it... Albacore and Tonno have thier own place but not in my sandwich. I live in the Capital for Duke's Mayo, and sometime use it, but recently I've been loving Trader Joe's organic mayo. Other than that, salt pepper, and a little dill.

Sometimes, I'll add extra salt and a few heavy dashes of good quality curry powder. It is a really nice change of pace... if you haven't tried it, give it a shot.

You people who put pickles in your tuna fish sandwiches should be burned at the stake.

Tuna (in water, drained)
Dijon/spicy mustard
pinch of salt
spread on toast
MUST BE CUT DIAGONALLY

Last step is crucial.

are you insane? it should read

MUST BE CUT IN MATCHING HALVES

I usually go for the open face tuna melt.

Chicken-o-sea in water
mayo
diced green peppers
chopped olives
toasted 12 grain or sour dough bread
cheddar and monterey jack
salt
broil it till bubbly :tongue_sm

Albacore in water
Kraft mayo
Chopped hard boiled egg
Blend of dill/sweet relish
Kosher salt
Ground white pepper
Pinch of dill
Pinch of rosemary

Lightly toasted whole wheat bread with a very light scraping of mayo

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Chunk light tuna in water. . . rinsed drained 3 tbsp mayo, add chives and green onions and on buttered toast . . . closed face cut in quarters on diagonal. Sunday lunch forever when I was a kid.

My wife and I still do this occasionally . . . the other lunch from time to time is tomato soup with milk and a grilled cheese sandwich.

I don't know if this has been covered already, but I'll have a go at it. If your version is comprised of a pan seared, raw on the inside, maguro grade slab of fresh tuna served on a crostini and topped with baby greens and a homemade aioli, then this thread isn't for you. I'm talking about the classic- canned tuna, done your way.

Which brand do you choose?
Solid white, chunk, or tonno in olve oil?
Bread?
Open faced?
Are you a Hellman's man, or a barbarian. :lol:
What are your mandatory accompaniments?

1) Whatever is on sale.
2) Solid White in Spring Water
3) Yes, sometimes.
4) No
5) I'm a barbarian

At the risk of being branded an Arch Heretic, cream cheese and ketchup.

are you insane? it should read

MUST BE CUT IN MATCHING HALVES

W.T.F. mang. You are certifiable.

Anybody who cuts their tuna sandwich into matching halves is of dubious moral character, and probably had a hand in Jimmy Hoffa's disappearance.

If you don't cut your tuna sandwiches in half diagonally, you hate America.

Why do you hate America?

Top Bottom