What's new

The perfect tuna fish sandwich

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
You people who put pickles in your tuna fish sandwiches should be burned at the stake.

MUST BE CUT DIAGONALLY

Last step is crucial.

are you insane? it should read

MUST BE CUT IN MATCHING HALVES

W.T.F. mang. You are certifiable.

Anybody who cuts their tuna sandwich into matching halves is of dubious moral character, and probably had a hand in Jimmy Hoffa's disappearance.

If you don't cut your tuna sandwiches in half diagonally, you hate America.

Why do you hate America?

Sing it Brother Baloosh!
Non-diagonal cutters are also often cross-dressers as well. Proven fact. You could look it up....

CUT ON DIAGONAL

If you don't cut the sandwich in half diagonally, you'll make the baby Jesus cry.

Blasphemy!

:lol:

Hey now guys, let's keep this civil! I don't want to see a thread about tuna salad sandwitches get locked! :lol:

(Way to go and pick the controversial topics, Ouch.)

Okay, here goes ...
chunk light tuna in water (drained, natch)
mayo ... brand insignificant
relish ... bick's green

mix those three ingredients, and spread on toasted bread, butter optional.

let nothing else get in the way of the taste ... no mustard, pickle, tomato, or whatever.

Now, here is the most important step. Do not cut the sandwitch. :tongue_sm

Major brand Albacore in water, drained
Finely chopped sweet onion, preferably Vidalia in season
Fresh ground pepper
Kosher or ground salt (sometimes a herbed mix)
Sweet pickled relish or finely chopped sweet pickles

Mix all of the above well and bind with mayo, preferably home made. Spread a thick layer on wheat toast or a hearty bread, top with sliced tomato, and cut diagonally.

Guys,

The replies have given me some great ideas on altering my recipe...

How it is today [the wife makes it]

Albacore in water, something good
She likes sweet relish, I want dill, so we do one or the other taking turns
3 hard boiled eggs diced
Celery salt
Duke's Mayo
French's yellow mustard

Usually on wheat bread toasted, but I love mine on bbq flavor potato chips -- you should try it!

Rich

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
... actually, if you want an even better sandwich, make it with salmon instead of tuna. Pink salmon is best for this as it has a higher fat content and so is moister.

Oh, I like it any of several ways.

My mother's classic was canned tuna (regular oil packed) with mayo and cubed sweet pickles. On white bread. I can still enjoy it that way.

My two favorite ways both use olive oil packed tuna. I prefer Blue Plate mayonnaise. I usually use Honey Wheat sliced bread. In one variation, it is just the mayo and Yucatan Sunshine habanero sauce. In the other, it is mayo, cubed sweet pickles, and dill weed.

I could eat it many different ways, though. I would bet that green olives would be good in it. I have tried it with prepared horseradish. The possibilities are endless.

I can't stand water packed tuna, though. :tongue_sm

Tim

PS - Forgot the brand - I prefer StarKist.

With crackers (best late night snack):
StarKist Tuna in Water
Miracle Whip
Pickle Relish if available

On bread:
StarKist Tuna in Water
Miracle Whip
Hard Boiled Eggs
Pickle Relish
Chopped Apples

Here's how I make mine.
one can of tuna (any brand) in water, drained
one tablespoon of Hellman's mayo, as I'm west of the Mississippi
one teaspoon of mustard
chopped celery, in not available then some celery seed
chopped onion
a dash or two of worcesteshire sauce
a dash or tow of habanero sauce
salt to taste
bread, whatever is available, sliced any way I want it.
or I eat it straight out of the bowl with or with out crackers

Chunk light tuna in water. . . rinsed drained 3 tbsp mayo, add chives and green onions and on buttered toast . . . closed face cut in quarters on diagonal. Sunday lunch forever when I was a kid.

My wife and I still do this occasionally . . . the other lunch from time to time is tomato soup with milk and a grilled cheese sandwich.

Are you my missing brother?
Sue

... actually, if you want an even better sandwich, make it with salmon instead of tuna. Pink salmon is best for this as it has a higher fat content and so is moister.

Try leftover barbeque salmon. I just use lemon pepper, bbq, what is leftover becomes lunch. Mayo, whatever bread is available, salmon.

Traditional

Brand - Any reg tuna in water
Usually chunk
I mixed the breads for something different. Usually white. Everything slightly toasted
Kraft no fat mayo
seasoning salt
Sliced pickles
tomato
lettuce
no need to slice the bread

I find it hard to eat sandwiches w/o lettuce, pickles, and tomato.

Variation
I use BBQ sauce instead of mayo. Substitute garlic powder for the seasoning salt.

As this interesting thread is now seems to be fading into the sunset, I thought I'd bring in an idea that's not a sandwich but uses the classic can of TF & is easy to make (~ 20 minutes). Garlicphobes - stop reading now !!

While making a 7-oz. package of elbow macaroni, peel the cloves in a head of garlic and and dice 'em. Heat 1/2 cup of good olive oil in a small pan, add a tablespoon of pine nuts, & after a minute add the garlic, cooking untl the garlic begins to turn soft and golden (don't toast it or let it turn brown!). Turn off heat & keep it warm. Drain a can of tuna (I use BB solid white) and flake it into small pieces. When the macaroni is done throw the tuna fish on top, pour on the olive oil/pine nuts/garlic, & sprinkle on some grated Romano or Parmesan. Mix it up & serve with white wine. :wink:

ok, first, the bread, pesonaly i dont like whole bread, but i do love cereal bread,
making the tuna spread,
a mixture of lightly spicy dijon mustard with mayo (use kraft or hellmans) and a touch of curry powder, mix with chopped red and green peppers, and a bit of corn, take a leaf lettese with around the surface area of the slice of bread and fill it with the spread,
place the leaf on the botton side of the bread, add red onion and pickles, thai pepper and chili powder mix if you like it really spicy, cover it, toothpick with an olive sinatra style to hold it in place, if its a bit too large, you can cut it in two,

Hmmmm . . . first the mac 'n cheese thread, now this. Y'all are making me hungry.

1. Solid white albacore in water, drained
2. Hellman's mayo
3. Smidge of dijon mustard
4. Dill pickle relish (I usually dice up a Clausson's "sandwich stacker" slice, because it's crisper)
5. Diced celery
6, Chopped cherry tomatoes (better flavor)
7. On pumpernickel bread

Now, THAT'S a tuna sandwich!

NANP™

I bought one of those Starkist lunch packs a week or two ago.. Comes with a 3oz vacuum pack of tuna, a little packet of mayo, some crackers, spoon, napkin, and mint. I decided to try the Hickory flavor.

BIG mistake. The hickory flavor does not at all go well with tuna. I ate two or three crackers with the stuff and couldn't stomach any more - had to throw it out and find something else to eat for that meal.

Did have some tuna with few shakes of the sweet curry powder and mayo with some Ritz crackers for lunch today. Oh, and some leftover mac & cheese from last night :w00t:

This thread is awesome, because there are a number of recipes in here I will try! I like tuna in water, and I like to do a simple mix of mayo, freshly ground pepper, and capers. The capers provide that nice briny flavor.

Now, it is not tuna, but I REALLY like canned salmon with the skin and bones in the can made the same way. The bones give it a little crunch, plus some calcium and extra omega-3's from the skin.

the thing is that the mustard and the curry powder does give the mayo that extra punch to break that metalic touch normal tuna has, the chopped peppers i actually picked up from a israely breakfast dish thats become quite popular, and for some reason, here in spain like corn mixed in to the tuna spread, the lettece gives it a sort of crunch aswell as a freshness, also gives the tuna spread a bit of a presentation if you want to make it a topless sandwich, as for the red onion, gives it a bitter sweet touch while breaking the taste,

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Anyone make their own mayo? It's one of the most ridiculously easy things to do.

Top Bottom