What's new

The perfect storm: A field shave, every day, in less than 5 minutes.

Another suggestion - strange as it may sound, don't overlook cold water shaving.

I switched to this approach myself because it reduced cuts.

Using cold water might buy you some more time to do another pass.

As mentioned, La Toja shave stick travels well, lathers quickly and lasts a good while. A twist to open razor will save you lots of time and they're cheap and easy to come by. I imagine an injector would also save you lots of time by reducing the effort it takes to get the right angle and reducing the time it takes to change the blade. A synthetic brush is ready to lather instantly (no soaking) and it dries just as quickly (put it away fast and worry not about mildew). Best of luck and thank you for your service.

The key ingredient to a good field shave is a clean face. With just five minutes there is no time to get fancy, but you can still get a comfortable shave. I use Dove soap to wash my face in the field since it travels well and is loaded with moisturizers. Scrub your face real good with cold water, rinse with water and a wash cloth. Then wet your face with cold water again. It takes some getting used to, but you don't want shave with hot water in the field. Instead, find a warm location or somewhere with over from the wind.

With a wet face apply Shave Secret oil and some Gillette shaving gel or similar product from a can. Do a single-pass shave with a razor of your choice, I use a Gillette WWII Bakelite. Use short strokes (blade buffing) with the grain. Make sure to do your neck in two parts, the upper half and then the lower half. Re-apply the shaving gel to your cheeks and shave across the grain with long strokes. Rinse, and if you have time, wash your face with Dove again and pat-dry with a wash cloth.

I'd also suggest a small spritzer bottle with some generic PX witch Hazel as a finisher. Scent-free and good for the skin.

This is a similar requirement to my travel shave... I want a small kit since I travel with a small daypack even for a month-long trip and a quick shave since I share the hotel bathroom with 3 other family members.

I'll usually pack a DE razor with a small tube of cream and a tiny Omega boar travel brush. Sometimes cold water is my aftershave, if not I like the 75ml Neutrogena balm. 1 minute to lather, 2 to shave, 1 to rinse and apply AS. That leaves 1 minute to admire your work (or clean up and pack).

In the meantime, try some of the Gillette Guard razors. There are a single blade disposable which may not clog as much as the multi-blade razors.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/494045-Gillette-Guard-for-Shaving-the-Face

Other option would be to combine the cartridge (pro-glide or Guard version) with the hard soap and brush. A very workable solution.

Thank you for your service. Merry Christmas to you and all of your peers.

When you have time, check out the Active Duty Roll Call link below.

If it's me in the field and space is limited and time is at a premium:

PRE: Ivory Soap and Hot Water

CREAM: Corn Husker's Lotion

RAZOR: Mach3

I'm imagining your 1 litre receptacle is for all of your field kit and not just shaving supplies. So a half a bar of ivory soap, 7oz bottle of CHL and a Mach 3 should leave plenty of space for your other necessities. So 1 minute to wash and rinse your face with the ivory to clean, hydrate and prep your beard AND you get a clean face to boot. While the beard is still soaking wet a nickel size amount of the CHL rubbed thru the beard shave across/against the grain with the Mach3 and you should be field ready after 1 pass this should take 2 to 2.5 minutes. The CHL residue left on your face or possibly a dime size more will act as your post shave balm add another 30 to 45 seconds for this. This should meet your limited time and minimal space requirements. No where near a luxury or particularly enjoyable shave, but I suspect you wouldn't expect that in the field. A DE razor, although more enjoyable to use, would take too much time as you would need multiple passes. The Mach3 gives a really good shave is easier to rinse than its 4, 5 or 6 blade counterparts. If you're in the field during a hot/humid time of year I'd add a 50/50 mix of 70% isopropyl alcohol and witch hazel in a 2oz travel bottle to my kit to use as aftershave, I wouldn't want a thick residue of CHL is the hot summer.

I know your post is old but if you or any other servicemen find yourselves in the field and have an extra 30 seconds to take a picture of your shaving kits or shaving routine, I for one would love to see them.

THANKS FOR YOUR SERVICE !!

To make it more challenging, you have about 5 minutes to clean your face, shave and moisturise. Good news is that you can usually make a limited about of hot water. You also have a thick, unforgiving beard! Whatever kit you have, it has to fit into a 1-litre receptacle.
Shaving gel or brushless cream, travel DE with blades of choice (Polsilver SI or GSB for longevity). 2 -pass shave and all within the 5 minutes. No clogging of razor regardless of stubble growth.

Gillette Guard. Its not one of the options. Its the only real option.
Your choice of shave cream applied by hand. (No brush)
Antiseptic (Aftershave/isopropyl alcohol/balm/etc)

Scrub face with hot soapy water, rinse, then canned gel with my H2. Single pass... Rinse, Aqua Velva and go.

If I was back in the Army, I'd do my 47 year old version of what I did then as a 19 year old. For a cartridge, a 2 blade Trac II is reasonably comfortable, and easy enough to clean out somewhat so it doesn't get clogged (and if you definitely clog it, blades refills don't take much space). I usually shaved with just a wet face, now I'd probably just use the same soap I washed my face with or a canned goo (I'd try a decent one though). I might try a shave stick or cream with a synthetic brush (my travel choices), or maybe Cremo (it is my camping choice when I don't have room to pack more). If you can get away with one pass, or if you can do 2 in 5 min once you have some practice, then I'd give the DE a try. I've found a smooth but aggressive razor works better than a mild or mild/medium razor when I'm in a hurry (my Schone or Fatip Piccolo are my usual go-to razors when in a hurry). You may also want to give a SE or injector a try. Regardless, I'd use witch hazel or something with little to no scent as my only aftershave since I don't want strong artificial scents wafting off me and going downwind when in the field.

I can shave in 5 minutes with Taylor of old bond, brush and a Muhle R89. Tobs lathers in a couple swipes and with the residual slickness I can do with and across the brain without relathering.

Welcome to B&B! I found when I was in the field a Mach 3 was a good choice as it rinsed out a lot easier when you don't have running water. Really big deal as carts plugged up. Even wiping your face down with a baby wipe first help to get the grease off. Then I used some Gillette gel. Did the trick.
Best of luck!

Top Bottom