What's new

The perfect storm: A field shave, every day, in less than 5 minutes.

Morning All,

I am hoping for some advice, and I think if you read between the lines, you'll figure out the context.

Imagine you are living in the field, and you have to shave daily- there is no option to skip a day or two, regardless of the weather.

To make it more challenging, you have about 5 minutes to clean your face, shave and moisturise. Good news is that you can usually make a limited about of hot water. You also have a thick, unforgiving beard! Whatever kit you have, it has to fit into a 1-litre receptacle.

What advice would you offer?

D/E or cartridge razor?
What soap/shaving fluid would you recommend?
What kit would you make sure you had with you?

Thanks ver much for your help!

Greetings and Salutations, [MENTION=113717]singinghound[/MENTION]
I notice this is your first post and I suspect you're not in any of the 4 CONUS time zones, so I counsel patience.
We have a lot of Vets and AD members who will give you lots of advice and options.

Tell us about what gear you're currently using and the results you get.
What problems (other than a severe lack of time) are you experiencing?

Check out the WIKI as well.

Thank you for your service.

Thanks YKMV

At the moment, my field kit is a King of Shaves oil, plus Gilette pro-glide. Previously I have used a travel pack gel. The results are OK, if I am in the field for a weekend, but the blades get clogged and it's not a sustainable routine for a longer period of time.

I have just started using a DE blade for every day shaving, hard soap and a badger brush. At the moment, I need to take my time, and if I tried using a DE for a tactical shave right now, people would be shouting "medic" as soon as they saw me.

I am hoping that with time and experience, I will be able to use a DE quickly in the field.

You're quite welcome, singinghound.

Speaking from my limited experience (only about 18 months cart-free), I assure you that you will be able to shave to a SociallyAcceptableShave or, in your case, 1SGAcceptableShave.

In the meantime, try some of the Gillette Guard razors. There are a single blade disposable which may not clog as much as the multi-blade razors.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/494045-Gillette-Guard-for-Shaving-the-Face

I've not found a link but you might look into Shave Secret.

Other option would be to combine the cartridge (pro-glide or Guard version) with the hard soap and brush. A very workable solution.

You might want to check out the La Toja shave stick. It's small and it's on the harder side as shave sticks go. Just wet your face and the end of the stick and rub some on your face. Rub a damp brush on your face and it explodes into slick lather. I would also recommend the Gillette Guard razors.

You might want to check out the La Toja shave stick. It's small and it's on the harder side as shave sticks go. Just wet your face and the end of the stick and rub some on your face. Rub a damp brush on your face and it explodes into slick lather. I would also recommend the Gillette Guard razors.

+1. Can't go wrong with La Toja or even Tabac shave sticks. And thank you for your commitment and service...:thumbup1:

Cremo brushless cream gets great reviews. You don't have to pack a brush, so you do save some space. I also find the Gillette sensor carts to clog less than the fusion, but maybe that is just me. The suggestion about the Gillette guard seems to be a good one, but I have never tried it...

Another recommendation for the Gillette Guard cartridge razor and some kind of brushless cream, such as Kiss My Face cream, or shaving oil (or shave jelly if you can get it). Add a small pocket mirror (because there's never one around when you need it) and you should be golden with a kit that will fit in an ammo or first aid pouch. I wish it would have been available back in the day when I was running around the brush. Save the brushes and DEs for garrison and leave time.

Last edited:
Five minutes isn't much time, but for a reasonably looking shave, a single buffed pass across the grain might be enough.
Paired with a synthetic shaving brush and shaving soap/cream stick, like the Omega S10019 and Arko shaving stick, a quick face lather should be very doable - rub soap on whiskers a bit, froth with a brush, mow down with razor, clean razor with remaining soap in brush, rinse all.
Perhaps a denser brush would allow for faster lathering, but is likely to be bulkier/heavier.
Also, the traver OC razor Parker sell, the AC-1, I think, seems to have the same head as their other OC razors and should allow for faster passes without clogging.

I have tried the Gillette Guard, but because it's so light, I found it difficult not to press with it and in a rush, I found nicks more difficult to avoid than with heavier razors.
YMMV, though.

If you need to be smooth, then a single pass across the grain is doable when shaving daily, but I find it OK only when doing it with a good skin stretch and very short Gillette slide style strokes. Requires a slick soap/good lather, though.

During my first two two years of service I spent over 400 days in the field. Back then I used plastic two blade Gillettes with canned goo on my relatively average whiskers and often without hot water. I managed passable shaves, but rarely comfortable with most of this due to the razor clogging up.

My vote is for Latoja shave stick, I personally use it when I need a quick shave and it performs effortlessly. (A tube of a shave cream would also be a good option ). Next is a decent travel brush and for the razor a vintage Red Tip. I believe you could get a "1SGT Acceptable" field shave with one pass XTG. Just my two cents worth of experience.

[MENTION=113717]singinghound[/MENTION] thank you for sacrificing to preserve the freedom we all enjoy.

Last edited:
[MENTION=113717]singinghound[/MENTION] Since I was able to have a late start to my day I decided to test my previously mentioned theory:

View attachment 710851
C1 Gillette Red Tip
Latoja shave stick (face lathered)
Vintage Klenzo boar brush (not restored)
Personna Lab Blue blade (fourth shave)
Cold tap water (thermometer tested at 43 degrees)

Results: 7 minute shave with no cuts, nicks, weepers or irritation and...a shave which could easily endure the scrutiny of the 1SG.

This might start a new trend for me.

Gents, thanks very much for all your advice and experimentation! Really pleased to have tapped into your experience, and I appreciate your good wishes. Delighted no one's recommended the ultimate field shave, Predator-style!
View attachment 710938

Gents, thanks very much for all your advice and experimentation! Really pleased to have tapped into your experience, and I appreciate your good wishes. Delighted no one's recommended the ultimate field shave, Predator-style!

I had thought the ultimate field shave to be a straight and a bit of oil to make it glide.

Works well with a shavette for me, when I fancy having a go with one again. Not for a 5 minute shave, though. I don't have enough skill with it for that yet.
The only real straight I have is not sharp enough for a good shave and I haven't had the patience to make it sharp enough yet. It's great for peeling oranges, though. :p

View attachment 710938

I have definitely been there and done that. When I was in the Marine Corps and in the field probably more than I wasn't...most of us had these very cheap electric razors that really just knocked the stubble off and not much else. It worked well enough if you know what I mean. If I knew then what I know now...I wonder if things would have been a little different.

Just letting you know...there is a club dedicated to Foxhole shaving around her...can you guess the name? It's Foxhole Shavers Club. :001_smile You can find it here: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/367478-Foxhole-Shavers-Club

Also, since I am sure you are active duty...scoot on over to this neck of B&B and get your Active Duty badge! http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/375978-Active-Duty-members-check-in

Above all...welcome to Badger & Blade! We know you you will enjoy it around here.

Top Bottom