What's new

The perfect folder and the irrationality of Benchmade

Space_Cadet

I don't have a funny description.
I wanted to get my hands on a Benchmade 710 folder for a long time. I didn't even hold one in my hands, but it was love from the first sight. I just knew it will work perfectly for me. And I was right. Not so long ago I've bought one, in pristine condition. The price was high, but what could I do...
But generally, I think this is probably the best folder I've ever came by. Such incredible classic lines, such a beautiful, smart and convenient design, this folder is a masterpiece.
So, another point I wanted to make is about the irrationality of Benchmade. I can't understand their decision making as to why and when stop manufacturing a particular model, and when initiate the production of a new model. For some reason they insist on stopping producing their best models (in my opinion), and instead start offering much less successful ones. I can't explain it. I mean... if another knive-making company would of come with such a great classic design like the 710, they could probably keep producing nothing else but this model, and make a good business. But what's going on with Benchmade is beyond me.

1.jpg

2.jpg

Space_Cadet

It’s innovation vs. evolution…

I guess in this field I'm leaning towards the "evolution" pole. As in many others, if come to think about it.

There comes a point when you are tired of every new gadget and wonder steel and move back to simple classics.

Indeed. I'm not at all against playing around with new gadgets and exotic stuff, but for me what comes first is the the simple classics.

The 710 probably just wasn't selling that well. It's a really good knife but most of their knives are really good. They've been making the 940 for a long time and probably will keep making it for a long time but they apparently sell a lot more of them.

Seems like the trend is for lighter weight pocket knives. The Bugout is selling like hotcakes. Benchmade just doing what businesses do - making stuff that people buy.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
I found a Benchmade but the blade is terrible to say the least, just completely dull. So that makes me think it’s either a fake or the person NEVER sharpened it. I have yet to put it to stone.

I submit the Kershaw Skyline. I’ve had it for over a decade. Super easy to sharpen. I like the flat line across the spine, the finger grip is perfect. Perfect pocket knife IMO. Also no longer in production

13A89A3D-7446-4181-9CC6-15FA6B684D10.jpeg

I own the Freek, Buhout and Griltillian among other Benchmades. All are excellent knives.

I would love to get a 940 one day as it seems to be their most popular folder. The Adamas is about the most overbuilt knife I have ever used as well.

I have a 730, and it is a most excellent knife, but a little too big and heavy for everyday use. For EDC I go with a Bugout or a Kershaw Leek. But congrats on your find, I know what it’s like to want a specific thing and discover it’s not made any longer.

My favorite knife of all that I have... and I've got some real classics. The Benchmade 710 M2HS, bought from New Graham Knives in 2002 for $118.75 Even with a CCW here in Colorado, it's freakin deemed illegal for carry at 3.90 inch blade, 3.50 in Colorado. Hence, been mostly a safe queen. This M2 blade is wicked sharp, takes a better edge than M4, S30V, S90V... and holds it too. The design on the 710 is timeless, the recurve blade, a masterful blend of workmanship and function, truly... a great knife. The last of my Benchmades as I prefer locally made Spyderco. I might have to start carrying this knife anyway. 😉

20210731_155740.jpg

Space_Cadet

I found a Benchmade but the blade is terrible to say the least, just completely dull. So that makes me think it’s either a fake or the person NEVER sharpened it. I have yet to put it to stone.

I submit the Kershaw Skyline. I’ve had it for over a decade. Super easy to sharpen. I like the flat line across the spine, the finger grip is perfect. Perfect pocket knife IMO. Also no longer in production

I've owned and used a Kershaw Skyline for a good couple of years. Can't say a bad word about it. A very nice little knife.

Top Bottom