What's new

The Pea Coat

Many folks say they are positioned funny, but this is by design as you say(purely utilitarian) and it is also not customary for military personnel to comfortably put their hands in garment pockets for prolonged periods of time. The A-2 flight jacket has no pockets designed for the hands.

no piece of military clothing was designed with hands in mind ever, I think. and the pockets on the HGU-57 Jacket (green sateen looking one) wasn't either, but I damn sure made it work even if the outer pocket piece was just to retain stuff, with no insulating properties.

I bought one of these last year after a lot of searching, and I've been fairly disappointed so far. It is very warm and definitely seems durable, I will say that much.

But these things shed like crazy. Everything you wear it over will be covered in little wool fuzz. I attacked mine with an entire roll of sticky paper, a lint brush, and even a couple dry cleanings. Still sheds after all that. Thought I had a defective one the first time around and sent it back for an exchange, but the replacement sheds the exact same way. A google search let me know it is fairly standard with these Schott coats.

I've still kept mine because I got it for a good price and wanted a peacoat for the cold winters here. Sterlingwear is the other big name, but they only sell theirs in black, which was a dealbreaker for me. Will be looking at J. Crew's offerings this year though and possibly looking to ebay my Schott.

I bought one of these last year after a lot of searching, and I've been fairly disappointed so far. It is very warm and definitely seems durable, I will say that much.

But these things shed like crazy. Everything you wear it over will be covered in little wool fuzz. I attacked mine with an entire roll of sticky paper, a lint brush, and even a couple dry cleanings. Still sheds after all that. Thought I had a defective one the first time around and sent it back for an exchange, but the replacement sheds the exact same way. A google search let me know it is fairly standard with these Schott coats.

I've still kept mine because I got it for a good price and wanted a peacoat for the cold winters here. Sterlingwear is the other big name, but they only sell theirs in black, which was a dealbreaker for me. Will be looking at J. Crew's offerings this year though and possibly looking to ebay my Schott.

LL Bean has a new one out this year.

I had a Navy-issue peacoat that served me well on cold-night deck watches at sea. It's a classic coat that has never gone out of style.

ha. Never in the Navy, but I used to wear on. Four buttons, not three. Great in the winter, nothing beats wool IMO.

Funny thing is, some years back, the Brits, who called the Donkey Coats, got seriously into USN pea coats. Apparently it was part of the house music fashion.

To get back on topic, the pea coat never went out of style.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.

Very interesting. I actually purchased my Schott 740N back in 2010 from a clearance rack at Burlington's for $120. have worn it every winter since then and haven't experienced any shedding. I have noticed that Pea Coats are magnets for lint and hair though.

The quality of the Schott, almost makes the coat feel like it's 'too heavy' when wearing it. It is the only coat I own that has to come off once indoors or I start sweating. I have a heavy quality, leather bomber's jacket with fleece collar and I can still wear it when walking in and out or while at the movies or in a mall walking around, but the Schott pea coat has to come off.

You have to get one with a lining. Mine attracts lint pretty badly, but it doesn't shed on anything.

I bought one shortly after watching Boondock Saints for the first time in college. It really is a classic, never out of style garment. I don't get to wear mine much here in AZ, maybe 4 or 5 times a year, but it's the only heavy coat I own.

My boot camp issue pea coat still fits me, but living in San Diego it's gotten exactly zero use in the last five years.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I like them. I need a bright red lining. No rush though I'm enjoying a Carhartt winter coat. Finally got used to the zip being on the zipitity do da merican side. You would think it wouldn't make that much difference . . . It does.

I wear a green J crew dock peacoat with thinsulate most of the winter. I've got two other long peacoats (10 buttons) one insulated and the other not, that I wear in the spring and fall. You could say I'm a fan of peacoats.

I like them. I need a bright red lining. No rush though I'm enjoying a Carhartt winter coat. Finally got used to the zip being on the zipitity do da merican side. You would think it wouldn't make that much difference . . . It does.

When I buy Euro stuff, the flipped zipper really screws with me.

Good news gents!

The Pea Coat is back in style! Now they're typically sold with black buttons and are supposed to fit a bit slim, but they are indeed back. Pair them with a nice pair of slim-fit khakis or chinos and you're all set! However I suppose I can only speak for the trends among young adults in the Northeast.

Top Bottom