What's new

The Passaround Box, Second Attempt (Previous list members only please)

I'm going to revisit my SE GEM tonight in honor of this last post. I remember really enjoying my shaves from my good old 1912 ... I don't really remember why I stopped using it. Probably got a new razor and it just fell out of rotation. Back to SE shaves for a week or so to see how I like it!

The box is off and running again on it's Northern trek. The tracking number is 9405 5036 9930 0230 0394 11

It's both fun and frustrating getting to see behind the scenes as the box travels. I know the contents as it passes from person to person. I see what gets added. I see things get added and I say "Man, I wish I was next because there's NO WAY that'll stay in there for long!". To all of you that got to that stuff before me, I'd like to say Thank You because I'm as happy as I've ever been with my takes...

$Feb Take.jpg

I had been crossing my fingers that the coffee and the knife would make it to me and they did!

The Blue Batak Peaberry is from Bird Rock Coffee Roasters and smells tasty! I'm not an aficionado by any means but I do like my coffee and I'm going to use it for my first try with a French Press. The Enlan knife has a hefty feel, a solid blade lock and pretty darn good reviews on the net. The Bluebeards Revenge Post Shave Balm has a clean, manly smell and made my face calm and smooth after a close shave last night. I'd recommend trying it if you get a chance. Finally the Pilot Varsity, in red no less, has been in my shopping cart at Goulet Pens for a couple weeks as I try to convince myself that I need to or don't need to get into fountain pens.

Thanks to everybody for your great participation!

Bird Rock is legit. Roast Magazine gave them roaster of the year, I think it was last year. They do an excellent job, from sourcing the beans all the way to finished product. Really good stuff.

Well, round 2 is drawing to close, with just a few more stops to make. Looking forward to Round 3, we've heard from a few people that are stepping away, a few that are staying in, and few we haven’t heard from yet.

The general consensus has been that some new blood would be good for the pass and we should have about 30 participants total. That being said, I think by the time everyone speaks up, we’re going to be about 15 short of that number. We've had the discussion before but have we decided and agreed on a way to recruit and accept new participants? There have been some very good ideas brought up and as always everyone is encouraged to participate in the discussion.

It's probably a good time to bring this up too. Does someone else want to take over the reins for Round 3? I've enjoyed my time overseeing this pass, thanks to all of you making it easy for me, but I don’t want to deprive someone of the experience if they want it.

The box is off and running again on it's Northern trek. The tracking number is 9405 5036 9930 0230 0394 11

It's both fun and frustrating getting to see behind the scenes as the box travels. I know the contents as it passes from person to person. I see what gets added. I see things get added and I say "Man, I wish I was next because there's NO WAY that'll stay in there for long!". To all of you that got to that stuff before me, I'd like to say Thank You because I'm as happy as I've ever been with my takes...

View attachment 410851

I had been crossing my fingers that the coffee and the knife would make it to me and they did!

The Blue Batak Peaberry is from Bird Rock Coffee Roasters and smells tasty! I'm not an aficionado by any means but I do like my coffee and I'm going to use it for my first try with a French Press. The Enlan knife has a hefty feel, a solid blade lock and pretty darn good reviews on the net. The Bluebeards Revenge Post Shave Balm has a clean, manly smell and made my face calm and smooth after a close shave last night. I'd recommend trying it if you get a chance. Finally the Pilot Varsity, in red no less, has been in my shopping cart at Goulet Pens for a couple weeks as I try to convince myself that I need to or don't need to get into fountain pens.

Thanks to everybody for your great participation!

The Bluebeard almost didn't make it to you. It was on my short list!

The Bluebeard almost didn't make it to you. It was on my short list!

Whew! I'm glad it squeaked through because I've used it a few times now and like it.

Oh, and I was going to use my French Press for the first time today with the Bird Rock coffee UNTIL I realized that it was whole bean and I don't have a grinder! Ugh!!! I'll have to remedy this situation soon.

Whew! I'm glad it squeaked through because I've used it a few times now and like it.

Oh, and I was going to use my French Press for the first time today with the Bird Rock coffee UNTIL I realized that it was whole bean and I don't have a grinder! Ugh!!! I'll have to remedy this situation soon.

CoughBARATZAENCOREcough

Man, this box could be getting expensive. Lol.

Well, round 2 is drawing to close, with just a few more stops to make. Looking forward to Round 3, we've heard from a few people that are stepping away, a few that are staying in, and few we haven’t heard from yet ...

I am going to head to the bench as well and cheer on from the sidelines this round. If it rolls around to a round 4 in a year or whatever, I will probably try to hop back in then.

Yeah ... amazing how slippery the slope gets in each and every hobby. Grinder is an absolute must have for daily life though. Just gotta bite the bullet.

I received the box yesterday. It is sooo full that I don't know how I will get my contributions in there. Other than taking out the shampoo my wife put in there last time that is still there, I don't know what I am getting. Will update when I know more.

CoughBARATZAENCOREcough

Yeah ... amazing how slippery the slope gets in each and every hobby. Grinder is an absolute must have for daily life though. Just gotta bite the bullet.

I've enjoyed drinking my regular ol' mass produced coffee for years and wondered if all the other fuss was worth it. I've had coffee brewed in French Press before and really enjoyed it so I recently got a French Press for a great price.
Now...don't jump on me too hard but I bought Mr. Coffee Coffee Mill today to try this whole thing out and see how I like it. I won't be making my daily coffee this way because I get up too darn early but I may start a nice weekend routine and upgrade my equipment then.

I am going to head to the bench as well and cheer on from the sidelines this round. If it rolls around to a round 4 in a year or whatever, I will probably try to hop back in then.

Thank you for being such a solid member of this pass around Matt, you'll be missed. Be sure to pop in on the thread every now and then and if you change your mind, I'm sure there'll be room for you!

I've enjoyed drinking my regular ol' mass produced coffee for years and wondered if all the other fuss was worth it.

It's worth it.

Head Rigger said:
I've had coffee brewed in French Press before and really enjoyed it so I recently got a French Press for a great price.
Now...don't jump on me too hard but I bought Mr. Coffee Coffee Mill today to try this whole thing out and see how I like it.

Nothing wrong with that. Gotta learn to walk before you can run! While it costs a bit more in the long run and isn't as flashy, I'm actually a big believer in stepwise progression through a hobby. I started with a whirly-blade grinner too, and I don't think I would fully appreciate, for instance, what burr grinders can really do for the taste of the coffee if I didn't at least know why they are better for me than blades or flat burrs. The learning process definitely makes you a better polishing end-product.

Head Rigger said:
I won't be making my daily coffee this way because I get up too darn early but I may start a nice weekend routine and upgrade my equipment then.

I thought the same thing about shaving. Takes too darn long! Then you realize it's worth the extra couple minutes to get an infinitely better end product!

Head Rigger said:
Thank you for being such a solid member of this pass around Matt, you'll be missed. Be sure to pop in on the thread every now and then and if you change your mind, I'm sure there'll be room for you!

I've had tons of fun with it, and I'm absolutely going to stay subscribed to the thread.

To update you guys on the box, it is still here with me in Georgia. I haven't absconded with it yet; but I do expect to be snowed in tomorrow. If tomorrow and Thursday are anything like last week, the mail won't run. So, it may be Friday before I can get this shipped out.

To update you guys on the box, it is still here with me in Georgia. I haven't absconded with it yet; but I do expect to be snowed in tomorrow. If tomorrow and Thursday are anything like last week, the mail won't run. So, it may be Friday before I can get this shipped out.

We have ice tonight and schools have already cancelled tomorrow's classes. I spent a long time in ATL returning from a business trip January 30, not fun.

I may have to be skipped. I'm going to be out of town until Feb 22. I'll let y'all decide. :)

I'm going to pass on the next go around and let someone new in. This has been great fun and a wonderful opportunity to try some new things. I'll keep following the progress.

Top Bottom