What's new

The Option Five Razor?

Hey hey! I love a good "new razor success" story. Congrats on the new get.

Sorry to get so hung up on materials, but I'm cautious about these things. I wish I knew what "nickel alloy" this was and what part of the razor is made out of it. Just looking at the outside, it seems obvious that not all of the razor is made out of one uniform material. And if the thing doesn't open for cleaning of the internals, it would be important for me to know what they were made out of, because that metal shell looks like it could hold moisture.
They're available online here now if you want to chat. :a21:

They're available online here now if you want to chat. :a21:

Excellent suggestion! So I went on the site and chatted with a rep. The rep said the external is made of rust-free nickel alloy but that the nature of the alloy is a secret, which is understandable. The rep said the buttons are high impact resin. I asked about the internals, and the rep said they are the same rust free nickel alloy with some resin parts as well.

Very helpful people and very informative to the extent trade secrets would allow.

December 13, 2016

Up for today’s shave is the maiden voyage of the Option Five Razor. The razor is made of Nickel Alloy and is on the heavy side at 120 grams or 4.2 ounces. It is looks very futuristic and is advertised to appeal to both men and women. It is so very different from all my other razors, that I am surprised at how much I like the looks of the razor. I loaded up a new Feather blade. I found the blade to be very easy to load and the blade exposure even on both sides. The handle appeared like it would be slippery with wet hands but this is not the case. I had no issues with the handle slipping during use. I did find myself gripping the razor in the waist section of the handle. Going with a three pass shave, WTG, XTG & ATG followed by touch ups ended in my usual near BBS. I found the razor to be mild, not as mild as a Merkur 34c, but efficient. You can really hear the razor cut the whiskers especially on the XTG pass. Even though it is the first shave, I am impressed with the Option 5 razor. I will continue using the razor alternating it with the R1 Calypso over the next week or so. I hope everyone has a great Tuesday.

Excellent looking razor! Look forward to reading the rest of your review and impressions on this particular razor. Congrats! :thumbup1:

It looks like a casting. Based on the weight, they might be using Monel or Inconel. Kind of silly for a razor, but they wouldn't rust and they cast pretty well. For the price though...not sure monel or Inconel would be that cheap.

It looks like a casting. Based on the weight, they might be using Monel or Inconel. Kind of silly for a razor, but they wouldn't rust and they cast pretty well. For the price though...not sure monel or Inconel would be that cheap.

Zamak 7 has nickel in it. That would make it a "nickel alloy".

I used a discount posted on another forum and ordered one a couple of weeks ago. Barring a delay in custom or with the US Postal service, I look forward to receiving it next week. I'll post up my thoughts once I have an opportunity to use the razor.

What's the discount code and what does it give you? Thanks.

When watching Kevy Shaves' video in full screen mode (you have to right click on the video to get the url. For some reason B&B disables the Youtube full screen option), the one thing about the razor that I'd worry about is the upper third. I can't tell if each side snaps in to each other or if they're glued together. This razor should have been designed so it can be pulled apart like the Futur. The dual buttons that allow the top cap to be removed must use spring action, and at some point, some light machine oil might be needed or the spring could become displaced.

What's the discount code and what does it give you? Thanks.

The discount code was posted in a thread on Against the Grain, a British shaving forum. The code was "friendsofdarkbulb" and I received 10% off with free shipping to Europe and the US. The shipping was free but did not include tracking info and took from 11/23/16 until Monday to arrive. I am not sure if the code still works or not.

The discount code was posted in a thread on Against the Grain, a British shaving forum. The code was "friendsofdarkbulb" and I received 10% off with free shipping to Europe and the US. The shipping was free but did not include tracking info and took from 11/23/16 until Monday to arrive. I am not sure if the code still works or not.

That code was also posted on a very long and still active thread on the Shaving Room forum, There are loads of photos there that look like they've peen posted by a principal of Option Five. I'm not sure if you can post the link here, but a Google search for Option Five and Shaving Room will bring it up.

I ordered an Option Five razor with the discount code on 12/10/16 and haven't heard back anything in the way of shipping notice, only the original email and paypal receipt. I wrote to them yesterday, but no response. Did you get a shipping notice and how long did it take to get that after the order? You'd think they'd have better customer service if they want to sell these new razors. The main reason I wanted to try one is that I love the Merkur Futur razor and this kind of resembles it. Although this appears to be a milder shaver, it looks like a unique design.

I ordered an Option Five razor with the discount code on 12/10/16 and haven't heard back anything in the way of shipping notice, only the original email and paypal receipt. I wrote to them yesterday, but no response. Did you get a shipping notice and how long did it take to get that after the order? You'd think they'd have better customer service if they want to sell these new razors. The main reason I wanted to try one is that I love the Merkur Futur razor and this kind of resembles it. Although this appears to be a milder shaver, it looks like a unique design.

I got a shipping notice a couple of days later.

Last edited:
The head geometry on this razor looks very similar to the Bevel razor. Anyone know if it shaves the same as the Bevel?

Is this razor still being produced? I had not heard of it until today, checked the website, and received a message that the website was unavailable.

Top Bottom